Match Thread: Voyageurs Cup - Quarter-Final - Pacific v York United - May 24, 2022

• narduch changed the title to Match Thread: Voyageurs Cup - Quarter-Final - Pacific v York United - May 24, 2022
1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Man, I haven’t seen a ton of CPL yet this year but that is a sparse crowd.  I know there has been some talk about the camera angles at starlight so not sure if the camera-side is more full but it isn’t a great look.  It is a nice little stadium - deserves a bigger crowd.  

There are no people on the camera side...there is no stand there.

This match was not included in the season ticket package.

10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Man, I haven’t seen a ton of CPL yet this year but that is a sparse crowd.  I know there has been some talk about the camera angles at starlight so not sure if the camera-side is more full but it isn’t a great look.  It is a nice little stadium - deserves a bigger crowd.  

York really hadn't noticed 😁

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

It was dismal. First day back after the long weekend and as mentioned, not included in the season ticket package. To top it off after a beautiful weekend it was grey and slightly rainy in the hours before KO.

Anyway, well done York. Now we can go back to being top of the league and waiting to play in our first continental competition. ;)

The loss of Aparicio was really felt by Pacific in this one, especially with Baldisimo and Young out as well. Pacific were not able to to control the ball in the centre of the park at all and there was way more wing play than usual.

Irving wasn't close on any of those penalties and he didn't look confident at all. Do something to throw the strikers off or get in their heads, some sort of gamesmanship. He looked like a dear in headlights.  

1 hour ago, davey_twelve said:

Anyone know if this tournament will continue being straight to PKs? Would have loved to have had an extra 30 minutes.

I think two changes have somewhat fell into our lap:

1. Play the extra 30 minutes, I don't see the need to go straight to kicks.
  2. Play a single match in the lower leagues home stadium.  These generate higher attendance/revenue, help generate the memories that will continue to grow the game.  In same league matches like this game they can flip a coin for the field.  I'd be ok going back to a two leg home/away total goals format but you run the risk of a higher league team beating up on a lower league team in the first game which would make the second game trivial and produce lower attendance.