Match Thread: CONCACAF Champions League - Round of 16 - Leg 1: Forge v Cruz Azul (Mexico) - February 16, 2022

I remember they tied that Haitian team in the first leg away last year in the CONCACAF Champions League 0-0 .  However , won the second leg game at home rather easily. Incidentally this was the same Haitian team that had eliminated Forge from advancing to the Champions League , in a game Forge dominating and were unlucky to win. I’m looking for a very close game and won’t be surprised if this game ends up tied at the end or hey even a win for Forge . It’s that second leg game that these Mexican teams seem to  usually go all out and show their superiority . 

I'm really interested in who we start in the midfield today. Without Cisse, this role has a bit of a gap. Hojabrpour might be the guy, but he seems to be a lot more attacking minded whereas Cisse was closer to a holding midfielder. Sissoko might be a closer comparable. Bekker is a lock, and I would think Achinioti is as well.

Morgan, Samuel, Krutzen, Borges, Browne are all obvious starters tonight (and Grant if fully healthy, due to lack of positional depth) but Bobby has never been afraid to trust some of the more unheralded players at the start of seasons. Metusala, Krutzen both broke into our lineup a bit unexpectedly in their first seasons and I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Pianelli or Triantafillou does the same.

EDIT: Jordan Wilson mentionned on OneSoccer today that Krutzen has been out with injury. Pianelli/Metusala surely sliding into that spot?

Edited by Pottsy3

Just now, king1010 said:

He made quite a few howlers last yr. I dont think hes good. Maybe in year 1

He’s been in the top 3 ranking for Gks the past 3 years. 

Hugo Loris in a week gets paid double what he makes all year….and he’s had the same amount of howlers, and it still the number 1 for one of the best countries in the world.

Hes made some big saves last year, but again the mistakes on the big stage don’t go unnoticed. 

Just brutal. You just can't make those mistakes at this level. Real shame with Forge playing well. Unfortunate/freak occurrence, either way when it's happened several times it starts to stick.

Hopefully he sorts his head out quickly. He looked shaken after and not communicating with the defence. 

Forge have done really well so far in general. 

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

Just brutal. You just can't make those mistakes at this level.

I seen this comment made before, not making an excuse….but it’s such a relative statement. 

I watch premier league games and say that comment lol. 

So when I miss a sitter in my Sunday league, it hurts but I’m like sheit it happens.