Match Thread: CONCACAF Champions League - Round of 16 - Leg 1: Forge v Cruz Azul (Mexico) - February 16, 2022

Just now, Acid-Tone said:

I'm watching the Fox sports spanish broadcast, and the commentators have actually been pretty complimentary of Forge.

They noted how Cruz Azul's squad was worth 65m and Forge FC was only worth 4m, but that the play on the field did not reflect that at all.

I’ve was wondering if CA were playing their first team. 

5 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

In the CPL only.

He's been very far below that level in the higher profile Concacaf games.

I remember him making big saves throughout the tournament and especially in Honduras when they needed to keep a clean sheet in hopes of winning (which was very close). 

Again he hasn’t been bad but hasn’t been great. When you make the mistake against Cavaly and tonight it’s what people remember.

I remember the good as well. 

25 minutes ago, Shway said:

I seen this comment made before, not making an excuse….but it’s such a relative statement. 

I watch premier league games and say that comment lol. 

So when I miss a sitter in my Sunday league, it hurts but I’m like sheit it happens. 

It's the unfortunate history of it happening before. Lots of the best keepers make brainfarts at every level though. Likewise at almost every level a keeper is embarrassed if that happens too.

I don't think there is a point I have ever felt confident watching Henry in goal. He has played some great games, made huge saves, has been in top keeper conversations but people will always point to what's in front of him in comparison to other keepers in the league. From the start he always looked like he has a mistake in him or isn't 100% confident when I watch him.

Don't want to take a giant shit on Henry, although I did! Plenty of other keepers at the highest level are aloof and make gaffes somewhat regularly. Cough Jordan trex Pickford. Like it or not Henry just has the Ringo starr stank at forge.

Yellow for the pull back shirt tug for sure, the closeline takedown after was obscene.

If it was guaranteed to be the same Cruz team playing in the return leg I would say forge absolutely has a chance. They haven't been good and forge have been unlucky. 

Great experience for all these forge players, especially the likes of Poku, loughrey, pacius and metusala.

Only caught the second half but Forge looked good out there.  Tough conditions against a quality opponent and once again Forge seem to raise their level of play for the competition.  

The one thing they seem to be missing is that final guy to put it in the net.  Good build up play for most of the game (that I saw) but seems to fall apart a bit in and around the box.  I guess it is a byproduct of CPL budgets that teams at this level won’t be able to keep really effective attackers for long but man I hope we see some young relent emerge through the league.  

Anyway, one more leg and 1-0 may be challenging but it certainly isn’t an impossible hill to climb.  

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Henry is good, like all goal keepers mistakes happen. 

Clearly he lost his footing/slipped. 

It just sucks when it’s on the big stage.

Not to pile on too much, but I don’t buy the “lost his footing/slipped” excuse. The reason he lost his footing was terrible footwork and poor judgement of the ball. If you watch, he starts moving to his right when the ball is kicked (even though it’s clearly to his left and he’s already way to the right side of his net). Then when he tries to recover and head back to his left, he slips. It’s a pretty inexcusable mistake.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Yellow for the pull back shirt tug for sure, the closeline takedown after was obscene

Just got back from the game.  Glad we didn't get embarrassed out there and held our own for the most part. Not alot of attack against such a high pedigree Mexican side. Gotta say CA were pretty dirty at times which is a shame when you look at the financial lopsided reality of these teams. Don't care if it was a 75% B team out there, they shouldn't need to stoop to that. Still proud of my team and our little league though!! Come on April!