GC: Canada vs Haiti - Thursday, July 15th, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific Kansas City

Just now, Floortom said:

I dont really think Herdman should be admitting that Eustaqiuo took that yellow on purpose

Did he? Hope not.

BTW, the reason Ramos was suspended in 2019  because he seems to agree to do it just before, I think with Zidane, so it was too obvious. And also it's Ramos, who is not the smoothest thinker.

11 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

after the quarter-fnals. they reset after the preliminary round, i think a bunch of people (like i did 😆) thought that meant the group stage, but that was the qualifying round that was played last week. 

Ok, thanks guys....yes the regs are poorly written since there is more than one preliminary round - technically there are three of them. It would have been better for them to use the term “qualifiers”

A few observations.

Our D is scary and shaky, it’ll take more than Kennedy to fix this.  Anyone that’s scouted us will know that and will pressure our back 3 every time they’re in possession.

Still not convinced on the 3-back system, it’s taking quite a while to familiarize ourselves with it.  No one seems very comfortable with it.  The only stand outs are our wingbacks, which is kinda the only reason we’re using this formation, but we’re lost everywhere else on the field.  Good thing it’s GC and not the ocho, however we need to be asking ourselves if we keep practicing this system or revert to the back 4 at the ocho.

That’s the Laryea we know and love, haven’t seen him play this well for CANMNT in a while.

Thrilled for Larin, hope he breaks the record first, followed by Cavallini and David who will remain our top scorer for the next 100 years.

4 shots on target and 4 goals - the final score is generous, it wasn’t easy out there when we were only 1 up.

Tajon, wow.

Loved the respect between Haiti and CANMNT after the game, seems they got to know each other well with 3 games so close together.

KC stadium is a beauty, never get tired of seeing it.

I don’t want to see Johnston as a rwb anymore, it just kills the attack down that side of the field and we have a lot of other options who can play on that side. As a right back in the back four that’s fine and at the right side of a back three that’s good too, but not as a rwb. As soon as Laryea came on in that spot we took the game over, and besides, we need Johnston’s solid defending in the back

Just now, Gian-Luca said:

I don’t want to see Johnston as a rwb anymore, it just kills the attack down that side of the field and we have a lot of other options who can play on that side. As a right back in the back four that’s fine and at the right side of a back three that’s good too, but not as a rwb. As soon as Laryea came on in that spot we took the game over, and besides, we need Johnston’s solid defending in the back

I agree...especially when he's paying ahead of Doneil. The right side is going to be a real weakness going forward. He's better in the back three or in a traditional back 4 IMO

I basically totally agree with @dyslexic namabove, adding Crepeau as well. 

Our strong points were in goal, Eustquio, Tajon, and Larin, although this latter just played his role and was not really leading the team on the pitch. 

Solid: Johnston, and Vitoria before the giveaway, which really shook him. 

Not enough: Cavallini

Weak: Miller, Henry, Osorio, Kaye

Not having a player who can move alongside Stephan is a problem, and frankly, the one player who could combine beautifully is Arfield. Also Hoillet if we played him more in the middle. 

Subs: Piette, so solid, happy to have him. Laryea, nice pace. Ayo, same. Thought Junior did not have a chance to shine and Pasher even less.

For pure motivational reasons, would like to see Larin and Ayo up front vs. the US. Also because Lucas did not combine at all with Larin tonight, he is off form, frankly.

In the middle, Piette has to be there, and I suppose he'll stick with MAK as well. I'd prefer to see Hoillet in the middle 4 as he's more of a baller. Piette behind Tajon, Junior and Osorio I'd prefer, but don't think he'll leave Piette so alone.

Back line of 4 please, Henry, Vitoria in the middle; Laryea, Johnston. Miller, a big letdown for me. Frankly he's the one player here who I don't think is MNT quality.

1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

Yes this!  An emoticon wasn't enough.  Say it again.  Fax it.  Tweet it.  Yell it.

So where does Eustaquio rank on our list of current top players?  Fourth? Fifth? Higher? I mean, we'd not be comparing apples to apples, position-wise, but would it go something like:

Davies; David; Hutch; Eustaquio?  (Where does Borjan fall? Arfield? Larin?)

And am I right in thinking that Tajon has shot into the top ten and has every ability to crack the top five before long?

9 minutes ago, narduch said:

Kennedy.

I guess we have James and Cornelius if they can get club matches.

I mean at this tournament … I don’t get why we’d only bring 4 CBS, if we want to play 3 of them as part of our preferred formation.  I would give Vitoria a rest vs US and go with a back 4 of Johnston, Henry, Vitoria, Miller in the QF. I fear that our D will get roasted against a better team …

Although Vitoria did have a couple mental lapses in the game.  One thing I did like is the way he celebrated Eustaquio's goal.  The team ran towards Herdman and the Canadian bench during the celebrations and it appears as if Vitoria is waving to the Canada bench to come over and celebrate with the players on the field.  I like the leadership shown there and it's just another small demonstration of how Herdman has brought this group of players togather.  There is a strong camaraderie amongst these players now.

See below:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRXptxPtsBi/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I’m totally stumped trying to think of the 11 for our next match.  No Eustaquio really causes a problem.  Kaye, Vittoria, Henry, Miller and Osorio have been below par thus far.  Fraser hasn’t played much.  Piette is a no brainer, but the rest is not an easy decision….

Do we go defensive to aim for a tie and take 1st on goal differential if the US doesn’t win by 5 tonight?  If so, I’d lean towards a conservative 4-4-2.

------------Larin / Ayo
Buchanan / Piette / Fraser / Laryea
Miller / Vittoria / Henry / Johnston

But i guess if Herdman is all in on the 3-5-2, we’ll probably see:

--------------- Larin / Hoilett

Buchanan / Kaye / Piette / Fraser / Laryea

----------Miller / Vittoria / Johnston

1 hour ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

So where does Eustaquio rank on our list of current top players?  Fourth? Fifth? Higher? I mean, we'd not be comparing apples to apples, position-wise, but would it go something like:

Davies; David; Hutch; Eustaquio?  (Where does Borjan fall? Arfield? Larin?)

And am I right in thinking that Tajon has shot into the top ten and has every ability to crack the top five before long?

Eustaquio is third behind Davies and David for me. We have a ready-made Hutch replacement and we should be very grateful for that fact. It's the attacking portion of our midfield that needs more quality.

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Picture a guy taking 14 minutes to take a free kick.  

Don't forget the part where he ran up to the ball as if he was about to take it before stepping back to do it over again 3 or 4 times.  All the while pretending he was trying to play in a short pass that was never there.  😄

Edited by Corazon