2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

I don't know our entire bid history but I don't know why Ottawa, Hamilton, Winnipeg and Regina aren't all trying to get in on this.

When we were originally putting together a Canadian bid albeit before the field was expanded to 48 teams I romantically had visions of taking our new LRT line to watch World Cup matches right here in Hamilton, I thought people in the other cities you mention would be doing the same! When we were given just 10 matches from an American event that changed my thinking and although I thought it would be great to be in the V's section watching our team play, if we were in the tournament at all the reality is this was not going to be an event spread around the country with only 10 matches to host!

24 minutes ago, RS said:

I'm with you on this. People don't just "move on" from wanting better healthcare, pandemic or not.

Everyone wants better healthcare.

What I am saying, which is not even debatable, is that a portion of the population is over covid-19. They just want life to return to normal.

So while the appetite to spend tax dollars on sport has been diminished for some in the general public, the appetite to spend tax dollars on sport hasn't been diminished for all in the general public. Are we discounting or downplaying this segment of the population?

41 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I don’t think so.  The IOC is having challenges with getting bidders for the upcoming Olympics.

Do you think this has more to do with governments being in debt or governments creating a situation where freedom of travel is unreliable?

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

What I am saying, which is not even debatable, is that a portion of the population is over covid-19. They just want life to return to normal.

So while the appetite to spend tax dollars on sport has been diminished for some in the general public, the appetite to spend tax dollars on sport hasn't been diminished for all in the general public. Are we discounting or downplaying this segment of the population?

You are confusing the desire to spend money fighting the pandemic with spending money to improve health care.  The press conference that @gator referenced wasn’t about COVID.  It was about Premiers seeking permanent increases to the Canada Health Transfer to bring the federal contribution of health care costs up to 35% (it started at 50% when Medicate was founded and has steadily shrunk down to between 20% and 25%).   That has nothing to do with COVID.  

Healthcare is the top political issue foe most Canadians.  that isn’t predicated on the current pandemic.  And with lots of Canadians approaching the years where they increasingly need to access healthcare services, politicians are very much aware of the need to prioritize spending.  Unfortunately things like Olympic and World Cup bids will suffer.  

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think you're coming at this discussion from the flawed viewpoint that only a portion of the population wants life to return to normal.

Anyway, I actually think hosting the World Cup could be a good example of an event that allows Canada to move on post-COVID (as you say). What I won't discount is the increased scrutiny COVID has placed on our overall healthcare system, which won't simply go away once the pandemic is over.

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Do you think this has more to do with governments being in debt or governments creating a situation where freedom of travel is unreliable?

I think it’s the overall idea of spending billions on building a bunch of new stadiums/arenas/sports centres for a single event when that money could be spent on healthcare, education, and other infrastructure that the everyone will use.  I’m not against spending on things that make a city worth living in, like the above.  It just has to be reasonable and rational.

The troubles with the IOC finding bidders started before Covid so travel has little to do with it.

33 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

You are confusing the desire to spend money fighting the pandemic with spending money to improve health care.  The press conference that @gator referenced wasn’t about COVID.  It was about Premiers seeking permanent increases to the Canada Health Transfer to bring the federal contribution of health care costs up to 35% (it started at 50% when Medicate was founded and has steadily shrunk down to between 20% and 25%).   That has nothing to do with COVID.  

Healthcare is the top political issue foe most Canadians.  that isn’t predicated on the current pandemic.  And with lots of Canadians approaching the years where they increasingly need to access healthcare services, politicians are very much aware of the need to prioritize spending.  Unfortunately things like Olympic and World Cup bids will suffer.  

Are you suggesting the Canada Health Transfer won't be used in part to address the COVID situation in Health care? Is it a mistake on my part to assume COVID has influenced the asking of additional funds? 

Furthermore, isn't Healthcare the top political issue for most Canadians because of COVID? 

I don't disagree that things like Olympics and World Cup bids will suffer if we continue down this road. I just think that's a shame, whereas others seem to shrug their shoulders at it.

I mean, if that's what people want then fair enough, and the fact that several Voyageurs (i.e. who theoretically should want it the most) are shrugging their shoulders, that is perhaps a telling sign of where the general public is at.

On the other hand, I also notice it is also the same Voyageurs, who all seem to share a particular perspective time and again, which are the ones doing the shoulder shrugging, which also tells me something. 

Edited by Obinna

7 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

The troubles with the IOC finding bidders started before Covid so travel has little to do with it.

As I posted earlier Hamilton got royally screwed out of the hosting the 2010 Commonwealth Games, votes bought from Concacaf nations apparently🙂, now they are trying to give us the 2026 games and we don't want them after spending millions of dollars on the failed 2010 bid! Times have changed!

18 minutes ago, RS said:

I think you're coming at this discussion from the flawed viewpoint that only a portion of the population wants life to return to normal.

Anyway, I actually think hosting the World Cup could be a good example of an event that allows Canada to move on post-COVID (as you say). What I won't discount is the increased scrutiny COVID has placed on our overall healthcare system, which won't simply go away once the pandemic is over.

I realize everyone wants life to get back to normal.

To be more precise, there's a segment of the population who wants to get back to normal by getting back to normal.

And by the way the scrutiny placed on our healthcare system is a good thing.

What isn't good is foregoing the opportunity to host the World Cup. It would be a shame.

And let me be more precise, I realize nobody here is saying that is good. I am just fascinated at the attitude towards it, but it is what it is!  

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

On the other hand, I also notice it is also the same Voyageurs, who all seem to share a particular perspective time and again, which are the ones doing the shoulder shrugging, which also tells me something. 

The fact that we only have 10 of the 80 games seems to be the main reason why people aren't so rah rah about this.

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

The fact that we only have 10 of the 80 games seems to be the main reason why people aren't so rah rah about this.

On the other hand, the argument seems to be about tax dollars, but more games would require more tax dollars.

So not convinced that's the main reason....

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Are you suggesting the Canada Health Transfer won't be used in part to address the COVID situation in Health care? Is it a mistake on my part to assume COVID has influenced the asking of additional funds? 

Furthermore, isn't Healthcare the top political issue for most Canadians because of COVID? 

I don't disagree that things like Olympics and World Cup bids will suffer if we continue down this road. I just think that's a shame, whereas others seem to shrug their shoulders at it.

I mean, if that's what people want then fair enough, and the fact that several Voyageurs (i.e. who theoretically should want it the most) are shrugging their shoulders is perhaps a telling sign for where the general public is at.

On the other hand, I also notice it is also the same Voyageurs, who all seem to share a particular perspective time and again, which are the ones doing the shoulder shrugging, which also tells me something. 

Actually, you are wrong on a few counts. 

Are you suggesting the Canada Health Transfer won't be used in part to address the COVID situation in Health care?

The CHT ask by Premiers predates the pandemic. It has been a health intergovernmental issue for a number of years.  And they are seeking a permanent increase with a set escalator so it clearly goes well beyond the issue of the COVID response.  

Is it a mistake on my part to assume COVID has influenced the asking of additional funds? 
Sure it has influenced it, but it is a mistake to think that the current ask is being driven by COVID.  It is not.  This has been a long-standing issue of contention and has been brought up by Premiers many times over the last decade. 

No.  The political supremacy of healthcare in Canada also predates COVID.  Look at any public ranking of political issues in recent times (especially prior to each federal election) and you will see health care at the top. 

I also notice it is also the same Voyageurs, who all seem to share a particular perspective time and again, which are the ones doing the shoulder shrugging, which also tells me something. 

Don’t confuse the ability to recognize the situation with the idea of advocating for it.   I am very much in favour of spending public funds on a WC bid - even one as limited as out 2026 role.  But that doesn’t change the fact that I can see what is going on politically and can see the forces at work that are softening of some politicians’ stances when it comes to the 2026 bid.      

@Obinna: Maybe it’s shoulder shrugging but I’d like to think of it as trying to be realistic.  

There are two (maybe more) camps in this forum and this has been borne out by the Covid debate and how we feel about the CSA.  

What makes me sad is that normally, I’d be super excited to book flights and hotels to go watch WC Qualifying and supporting our men and women.  This March, I wouldn’t travel to Orlando to watch the upcoming matches even if I were allowed.  

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

The operative word here is "geographic".

Sure, you could turn Manitoba to a functional island if you put checkpoints at every road entry into the province, but that's a much, much, much, harder sell in a supposedly free country like Canada. The Atlantic Ocean on the other hand is a natural checkpoint.

It's comparing apples and oranges.

Not sure what the Atlantic Ocean has to do with it.

There's 24 roads crossing the Manitoba/Saskatchewan Border (Ontario was less of an issue at the time, as the northwest was virtually Covid-free - but not many crossings there).

There are 20 roads crossing the Quebec/New Brunswick Border.  And 3 crossing the New Brunswick/Nova Scotia border.

That's apples and apples.

Not sure what "supposedly free" means. Who'd not want the kind of relatively benign restrictions that a province like New Brunswick put in place (by a conservative government none-the-less).

If the Covid-6 had kept the death toll as low as New Brunswick, they'd have had only about 1,270 deaths instead of 22,000 deaths, saving almost 21,000 lives! Much of the time, the restrictions have been a lot stronger in the western provinces than New Brunswick - and the job losses from Covid a lot worse. Manitoba would have had 50 deaths rather than 850 (or perhaps less, given that they'd miraculously only had 7 deaths until August).

Edited by nfitz

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Are you suggesting the Canada Health Transfer won't be used in part to address the COVID situation in Health care?

The CHT ask by Premiers predates the pandemic. It has been a health intergovernmental issue for a number of years.  And they are seeking a permanent increase with a set escalator so it clearly goes well beyond the issue of the COVID response.  

Sure, but it's not unrelated, is it?

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Is it a mistake on my part to assume COVID has influenced the asking of additional funds? 
Sure it has influenced it, but it is a mistake to think that the current ask is being driven by COVID.  It is not.  This has been a long-standing issue of contention and has been brought up by Premiers many times over the last decade. 

Just because it didn't originate from COVID doesn't mean COVID isn't now a significant consideration, right?

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

No.  The political supremacy of healthcare in Canada also predates COVID.  Look at any public ranking of political issues in recent times (especially prior to each federal election) and you will see health care at the top. 

Sure, but healthcare would be more of an issue now because of COVID, right?

13 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I also notice it is also the same Voyageurs, who all seem to share a particular perspective time and again, which are the ones doing the shoulder shrugging, which also tells me something. 

Don’t confuse the ability to recognize the situation with the idea of advocating for it.   I am very much in favour of spending public funds on a WC bid - even one as limited as out 2026 role.  But that doesn’t change the fact that I can see what is going on politically and can see the forces at work that are softening of some politicians’ stances when it comes to the 2026 bid.      

Fair enough to clear up where you stand on it personally. Curious to know that you mean specifically by "the forces at work". 

16 minutes ago, narduch said:

Would add that the fact those 10 matches would in all likelihood be relocated to the USA isn't especially troubling to most on here.  Convenient time zones for viewing, more convenient for traveling fans that jetting off to Arabia as an example. 

Still think this is happening.  Dept financing happens out of sight.  Those fussing will quickly become background noise joining the chorus of already existing complaints about this government or that.

16 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Actually, you are wrong on a few counts. 

You want better Healthcare. Take it from someone who has experienced both. Allow a mix of private and public. No more money needed but its about power which clearly nobody wants to give it up. I found it interesting during the pandemic in BC our health care system used public funds to run a promotional campaign against any form of private health care in our province. As if that's on anyone's radar right now. 

Just now, Obinna said:

Sure, but it's not unrelated, is it?

Just because it didn't originate from COVID doesn't mean COVID isn't now a significant consideration, right?

Sure, but healthcare would be more of an issue now because of COVID, right?

Fair enough to clear up where you stand on it personally. Curious to know that you mean specifically by "the forces at work". 

I mean political forces.   The fact that politicians deliver what the masses want, and if you compare the people who want investment in healthcare vs investment in a bit part in a WC bid, it isn’t even close.  

as for the previous points, I was just correcting what I saw as flaws in your position. Others were trying to point out that the public’s longstanding appetite for investment in healthcare is probably driving the political waffling on the WC bid.  Trying to tie that to COVID has very little to do with it.  So what if COVID has made healthcare even more dominantly the number one issue?   That doesn’t change anything.  It doesn’t impact the fact that Canadians would prioritize investment in healthcare (before, during, or after the pandemic) by a landslide.  

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

You want better Healthcare. Take it from someone who has experienced both. Allow a mix of private and public. No more money needed but its about power which clearly nobody wants to give it up. I found it interesting during the pandemic in BC our health care system used public funds to run a promotional campaign against any form of private health care in our province. As if that's on anyone's radar right now. 

23 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

But that doesn’t change the fact that I can see what is going on politically and can see the forces at work that are softening of some politicians’ stances when it comes to the 2026 bid.      

One in the same?

• VinceA changed the title to 2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions