FC Manitoba

Big_M

Mahith Gamage was at the event and has provided some more in-depth coverage:

https://northernstartingeleven.com/everything-need-fc-manitoba-winnipeg-developmental-pathway/

Basically, much like how Highlanders sold their USL2 rights to TFA Wilamette, WSA Winnipeg has sold their USL2 rights to FC Manitoba.

WSA Winnipeg will continue to exist/compete, but only with the WSA North Stars (WPSL) and their MMSL teams. They're stepping down and wanted to see something at that level still exist, so FC Manitoba (who run Ital Inter SC in MMSL) is stepping up to the plate.

It sounds like this is more than just a rebrand. My fingers are crossed this leads to some better results & further development by players in the region.

Also, there is no official connection with Valour FC.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I've followed Chill for quite a while, and something interesting here: as USL 2 expands, travel gets better. Chill and I think even Manitoba used to have to go to Des Moines, they went to Kansas City in the past even, long travel. Now they've consolidated a division with all US teams in Wisconsin and Minnesota, Bavarian is in Milwaukee, RKC is in Racine in southern Wisconsin, I think they've cut hours off road trips now with a tighter division. 

Expansion will do this: shorten average distances and make the longer road trips outliers instead of standard. Lesson for the CPL, League Ones, for sure.

On 2/20/2023 at 10:10 PM, jonovision said:

I agree with your point generally, but Racine and Milwaukee are both longer drives from Winnipeg than Des Moines and Kansas City. Still, the new division is a better fit than being lumped in with mostly Illinois and Missouri clubs.

Winnipeg to KC is about the same as Milwaukee though for Racine you are right.

I admit I was calculating from Thunder Bay, so I am somewhat off topic.

But in 2020 they had Peoria, Chicago, Kansas City and Green Bay in their division, Saint Louis too. And no team from Minnesota, while now they have three.

Travel for both teams is much better this season, they used to go over 15 hours to St Louis and over 14 to Peoria, over 13 to Chicago.

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm surprised they play Wednesday games, Fridays. You'd think they'd have other jobs and a later Saturday eve or Sunday early afternoon would be ideal.

I think this league is primarily made up of college kids.  It's why the season is short: to match the time the students are away from classes.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...