Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ansem

If MLS goes on strike / lockout, should the CSA replace Montreal Impact in the Champions League with a CPL Club?

If MLS goes on strike / lockout and miss the cut off dates to participate  

31 members have voted

  1. 1. Should the CSA replace Montreal Impact in the 2020 Champions League with a CPL Club?

    • Yes, with the CPL Champions (Forge) while sending Cavalry to CONCACAF League as highest non-MLS ranked team
      11
    • Yes, with Cavalry as highest non-MLS ranked team while sending Forge to CONCACAF League as CPL Champions
      19
    • No - Forfeit
      1
  2. 2. Should the CSA reallocate the Champions League berth for 2021 if MLS clubs miss the cut off date for the 2020 Canadian Championship?

    • Yes, CPL Champions goes to Champions league while Canadian Championship winner goes to CONCACAF League
      10
    • Yes, Canadian Championship winner goes to Champions league while CPL Champions goes to CONCACAF League
      19
    • Reallocate both berths to CPL results : Champions goes to CCL, finalist goes to CONCACAF League
      2


Recommended Posts

According to this, the union is absolutely willing to strike to make major gains or it's members. This would keep MLS clubs out of the Champions League

 

 Answer the poll question

If MLS goes on strike / lockout, should the CSA replace Montreal Impact in the Champions League with a CPL Club?

My answer:

  • The CSA should send the CPL Champions to Champions League - Forge
  • The CSA should send the highest non-MLS ranked club to CONCACAF League - Cavalry

Rational :

  • CPL season = 28 games + 2 Championship games
  • Canadian Championship = 6 games for Cavalry to finish 3rd overall in the tournament

If MLS goes on strike / lockout, how should the CSA reallocate the Champions League berth for 2019 if clubs miss the cut off date for the Canadian Championship?

My answer

  • CCL - Canadian Premier League Champion
  • CL - Candian Championship winner
Edited by Ansem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dyslexic nam said:

Your question 2 should probably have a "no" option.

It's unlikely that the CSA would cancel the Canadian Championship if the 3 MLS clubs are on strike or lockout. That's why I didn't include no

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your second question doesn't make sense. 

It should have an option to reorganize the Voyageurs Cup with a format that doesn't include the MLS clubs.  With the winner getting the Champions League spot. That's the best way forward.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not really sure what the players are asking for as I haven't been following MLS closely since the CPL began.  Unless the players are really shooting for the moon I don't see a long strike happening.  

With that said, the CSA should come out as early as possible and clearly document to all three MLS clubs and CONCACAF what their intentions are with regards to the Impact's CCL spot this year.  They should do the same with the V Cup.  Hard dates in the correspondence should be set so that all parties know where they stand.  

I voted for Cavalry to CCL as they lost in the semi's this past season.  The reward for winning the V Cup should remain unchanged, an MLS strike shouldn't effect what the winner receives as a reward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, narduch said:

Your second question doesn't make sense. 

It should have an option to reorganize the Voyageurs Cup with a format that doesn't include the MLS clubs.  With the winner getting the Champions League spot. That's the best way forward.  

It's implied that the MLS clubs wouldn't be part of the V Cup and the tournament would be reformatted.

The winner going to Champions League would be answer #2

  • Yes, Canadian Championship winner goes to Champions league while CPL Champions goes to CONCACAF League

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, narduch said:

Also Forge definitely should get the 2020 Champions League spot if MLS strikes. 

Why?  The winner of the V Cup got in the CCL.  Semi finals were Montreal v Cavalry and Toronto v Ottawa.  Ottawa isn't operating in 2020 so the spot should go to Cavalry if it came down to it.  

The only other way I could see the CSA do it is by who registered as a club first.  :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, narduch said:

Also Forge definitely should get the 2020 Champions League spot if MLS strikes. 

But can they get ready in time for that?

Some would say that Forge was already eliminated from the 2020 CCL by losing to Cavalry in the 2019 V Cup. It would be fair that Cavalry goes to CCL this time around while Forge proceeds to 2020 CL, I agree with you though but I thought this was also a fair point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stouffvillain said:

Why?  The winner of the V Cup got in the CCL.  Semi finals were Montreal v Cavalry and Toronto v Ottawa.  Ottawa isn't operating in 2020 so the spot should go to Cavalry if it came down to it.  

The only other way I could see the CSA do it is by who registered as a club first.  :P

That is some good reasoning to make it Cavalry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

I'm not really sure what the players are asking for as I haven't been following MLS closely since the CPL began.  Unless the players are really shooting for the moon I don't see a long strike happening.  

  1. Real Free agency system, not being restricted until they are 28 and having played 8 seasons in MLS
  2. Chartered flights
  3. Simpler budget rules (GAM, TAM, DP etc...)
  4. Better pay for players in correlation to their performance on the pitch (ex. Larin's case)
  5. Giving teams more freedom in how they want to build squads (# of DP and international spots, salary cap...etc)

Question is how greedy the league truly is. I had seen a tweet claiming that most top leagues used around 50% of their revenues on players salaries while MLS was around 30%.

Understandably, players wants much more and they aren't backing down by the looks of it. Owners will need to make big concessions to avoid a strike

22 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

With that said, the CSA should come out as early as possible and clearly document to all three MLS clubs and CONCACAF what their intentions are with regards to the Impact's CCL spot this year.  They should do the same with the V Cup.  Hard dates in the correspondence should be set so that all parties know where they stand. 

I agree with the hard dates. I'm sure CONCACAF already have theirs. The CSA must have such dates for the 2020 V Cup but I expect them to wait at the very last minute while coming up with contingency plans

22 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

I voted for Cavalry to CCL as they lost in the semi's this past season.  The reward for winning the V Cup should remain unchanged, an MLS strike shouldn't effect what the winner receives as a reward.

I agree for 2020

For 2021, if there's no MLS clubs in the 2020 V Cup, I think it should be reversed

2020 CPL Champions needs to be the best out of 30 games

2020 V Cup needs to be the best out of 6 to 8 games.

Edited by Ansem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, narduch said:

By the way I predict there won't be a strike. 

I don't think there will be a strike either.

I voted that Calgary gets the CCL spot and Forge gets the CLspot. Forge earned their CL spot by winning the CPL and Calgary gets the CCL spot because they advanced the furthest in the Canadian Championship of teams that are available.

And let's be honest - whomever gets into the CCL is going to get destroyed by the LigaMX sides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

I don't think there will be a strike either.

I voted that Calgary gets the CCL spot and Forge gets the CLspot. Forge earned their CL spot by winning the CPL and Calgary gets the CCL spot because they advanced the furthest in the Canadian Championship of teams that are available.

And let's be honest - whomever gets into the CCL is going to get destroyed by the LigaMX sides.

Based on the seeding though the 1st round opponent may not be as difficult. There is only 1 Mexican team in the 2nd pot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_CONCACAF_Champions_League

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is just another example of why no one can ever take MLS seriously.  It also makes a sham of the CCL... if their teams can't compete in 2020 I would hope that CONCACAF punishes them in some way (i.e. take away a spot for 2021) because this is bush league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder though. Can Forge get the 2020 CCL spot, since they already played in CONCACAF League? Since I'm not sure, I think Cavalry shout get the CCL spot.

I still think Forge should get the CONCACAF League spot.

Edited by Blackdude
wrong year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just checked CCL rules. CSA can't do a thing about it. It's out of CSA's hands. If someone chooses to do something about this, it's CONCACAF. 
 

Also if a strike goes past this, I would assume that V's cup winner gets the CCL spot and League winner gets CL spot for the same reason that it's what CSA agreed to with CONCACAF. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Just checked CCL rules. CSA can't do a thing about it. It's out of CSA's hands. If someone chooses to do something about this, it's CONCACAF. 
 

Also if a strike goes past this, I would assume that V's cup winner gets the CCL spot and League winner gets CL spot for the same reason that it's what CSA agreed to with CONCACAF. 

All the MLS clubs are in the same pot.

CONCACAF could just decide to give a bye to any team that draws an MLS team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, narduch said:

All the MLS clubs are in the same pot.

CONCACAF could just decide to give a bye to any team that draws an MLS team.

I think that it's what would happen. I don't think CONCACAF wants to have a back-up team that can be called 24 hours in advance. Work stoppages are hard to know in advance if they will last.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

I think that it's what would happen. I don't think CONCACAF wants to have a back-up team that can be called 24 hours in advance. Work stoppages are hard to know in advance if they will last.

I think if it were 1 or 2 teams, they may consider it. But this is 5 teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blackdude said:

Just checked CCL rules. CSA can't do a thing about it. It's out of CSA's hands. If someone chooses to do something about this, it's CONCACAF. 
 

Also if a strike goes past this, I would assume that V's cup winner gets the CCL spot and League winner gets CL spot for the same reason that it's what CSA agreed to with CONCACAF. 

Now that the Ottawa Fury have been knocked off Uncle Vic needs a new opportunity to flex some Canadian muscle ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CONCACAF could re-allocate the spot to another country. When teams could not take part in the past the team that replaced them was not always from the same country. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...