If MLS goes on strike / lockout, should the CSA replace Montreal Impact in the Champions League with a CPL Club?

If MLS goes on strike / lockout and miss the cut off dates to participate  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should the CSA replace Montreal Impact in the 2020 Champions League with a CPL Club?

• Yes, with the CPL Champions (Forge) while sending Cavalry to CONCACAF League as highest non-MLS ranked team
    • Yes, with Cavalry as highest non-MLS ranked team while sending Forge to CONCACAF League as CPL Champions
    • No - Forfeit
  2. 2. Should the CSA reallocate the Champions League berth for 2021 if MLS clubs miss the cut off date for the 2020 Canadian Championship?

• Yes, CPL Champions goes to Champions league while Canadian Championship winner goes to CONCACAF League
    • Yes, Canadian Championship winner goes to Champions league while CPL Champions goes to CONCACAF League
    • Reallocate both berths to CPL results : Champions goes to CCL, finalist goes to CONCACAF League

According to this, the union is absolutely willing to strike to make major gains or it's members. This would keep MLS clubs out of the Champions League

Answer the poll question

If MLS goes on strike / lockout, should the CSA replace Montreal Impact in the Champions League with a CPL Club?

My answer:

• The CSA should send the CPL Champions to Champions League - Forge
  • The CSA should send the highest non-MLS ranked club to CONCACAF League - Cavalry

Rational :

• CPL season = 28 games + 2 Championship games
  • Canadian Championship = 6 games for Cavalry to finish 3rd overall in the tournament

If MLS goes on strike / lockout, how should the CSA reallocate the Champions League berth for 2019 if clubs miss the cut off date for the Canadian Championship?

My answer

• CCL - Canadian Premier League Champion
  • CL - Candian Championship winner
Edited by Ansem

I'm not really sure what the players are asking for as I haven't been following MLS closely since the CPL began.  Unless the players are really shooting for the moon I don't see a long strike happening.  

With that said, the CSA should come out as early as possible and clearly document to all three MLS clubs and CONCACAF what their intentions are with regards to the Impact's CCL spot this year.  They should do the same with the V Cup.  Hard dates in the correspondence should be set so that all parties know where they stand.  

I voted for Cavalry to CCL as they lost in the semi's this past season.  The reward for winning the V Cup should remain unchanged, an MLS strike shouldn't effect what the winner receives as a reward.

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

Your second question doesn't make sense. 

It should have an option to reorganize the Voyageurs Cup with a format that doesn't include the MLS clubs.  With the winner getting the Champions League spot. That's the best way forward.  

It's implied that the MLS clubs wouldn't be part of the V Cup and the tournament would be reformatted.

The winner going to Champions League would be answer #2

• Yes, Canadian Championship winner goes to Champions league while CPL Champions goes to CONCACAF League

1 minute ago, narduch said:

Also Forge definitely should get the 2020 Champions League spot if MLS strikes. 

Why?  The winner of the V Cup got in the CCL.  Semi finals were Montreal v Cavalry and Toronto v Ottawa.  Ottawa isn't operating in 2020 so the spot should go to Cavalry if it came down to it.  

The only other way I could see the CSA do it is by who registered as a club first.  :P

5 minutes ago, narduch said:

Also Forge definitely should get the 2020 Champions League spot if MLS strikes. 

But can they get ready in time for that?

Some would say that Forge was already eliminated from the 2020 CCL by losing to Cavalry in the 2019 V Cup. It would be fair that Cavalry goes to CCL this time around while Forge proceeds to 2020 CL, I agree with you though but I thought this was also a fair point

Just now, Stouffvillain said:

Why?  The winner of the V Cup got in the CCL.  Semi finals were Montreal v Cavalry and Toronto v Ottawa.  Ottawa isn't operating in 2020 so the spot should go to Cavalry if it came down to it.  

The only other way I could see the CSA do it is by who registered as a club first.  :P

That is some good reasoning to make it Cavalry. 

22 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

I'm not really sure what the players are asking for as I haven't been following MLS closely since the CPL began.  Unless the players are really shooting for the moon I don't see a long strike happening.  

1. Real Free agency system, not being restricted until they are 28 and having played 8 seasons in MLS
  2. Chartered flights
  3. Simpler budget rules (GAM, TAM, DP etc...)
  4. Better pay for players in correlation to their performance on the pitch (ex. Larin's case)
  5. Giving teams more freedom in how they want to build squads (# of DP and international spots, salary cap...etc)

Question is how greedy the league truly is. I had seen a tweet claiming that most top leagues used around 50% of their revenues on players salaries while MLS was around 30%.

Understandably, players wants much more and they aren't backing down by the looks of it. Owners will need to make big concessions to avoid a strike

With that said, the CSA should come out as early as possible and clearly document to all three MLS clubs and CONCACAF what their intentions are with regards to the Impact's CCL spot this year.  They should do the same with the V Cup.  Hard dates in the correspondence should be set so that all parties know where they stand. 

I agree with the hard dates. I'm sure CONCACAF already have theirs. The CSA must have such dates for the 2020 V Cup but I expect them to wait at the very last minute while coming up with contingency plans

I voted for Cavalry to CCL as they lost in the semi's this past season.  The reward for winning the V Cup should remain unchanged, an MLS strike shouldn't effect what the winner receives as a reward.

I agree for 2020

For 2021, if there's no MLS clubs in the 2020 V Cup, I think it should be reversed

2020 CPL Champions needs to be the best out of 30 games

2020 V Cup needs to be the best out of 6 to 8 games.

Edited by Ansem

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

By the way I predict there won't be a strike. 

I don't think there will be a strike either.

I voted that Calgary gets the CCL spot and Forge gets the CLspot. Forge earned their CL spot by winning the CPL and Calgary gets the CCL spot because they advanced the furthest in the Canadian Championship of teams that are available.

And let's be honest - whomever gets into the CCL is going to get destroyed by the LigaMX sides.

15 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

I don't think there will be a strike either.

I voted that Calgary gets the CCL spot and Forge gets the CLspot. Forge earned their CL spot by winning the CPL and Calgary gets the CCL spot because they advanced the furthest in the Canadian Championship of teams that are available.

And let's be honest - whomever gets into the CCL is going to get destroyed by the LigaMX sides.

Based on the seeding though the 1st round opponent may not be as difficult. There is only 1 Mexican team in the 2nd pot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_CONCACAF_Champions_League

Just checked CCL rules. CSA can't do a thing about it. It's out of CSA's hands. If someone chooses to do something about this, it's CONCACAF. 

Also if a strike goes past this, I would assume that V's cup winner gets the CCL spot and League winner gets CL spot for the same reason that it's what CSA agreed to with CONCACAF. 

33 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Just checked CCL rules. CSA can't do a thing about it. It's out of CSA's hands. If someone chooses to do something about this, it's CONCACAF. 

Also if a strike goes past this, I would assume that V's cup winner gets the CCL spot and League winner gets CL spot for the same reason that it's what CSA agreed to with CONCACAF. 

All the MLS clubs are in the same pot.

CONCACAF could just decide to give a bye to any team that draws an MLS team.

10 minutes ago, narduch said:

All the MLS clubs are in the same pot.

CONCACAF could just decide to give a bye to any team that draws an MLS team.

I think that it's what would happen. I don't think CONCACAF wants to have a back-up team that can be called 24 hours in advance. Work stoppages are hard to know in advance if they will last.

9 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

I think that it's what would happen. I don't think CONCACAF wants to have a back-up team that can be called 24 hours in advance. Work stoppages are hard to know in advance if they will last.

I think if it were 1 or 2 teams, they may consider it. But this is 5 teams.

1 hour ago, Blackdude said:

Now that the Ottawa Fury have been knocked off Uncle Vic needs a new opportunity to flex some Canadian muscle ;)