TFC 2018-2019 Off-season

Gian-Luca

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I just wish we had more than one Canadian starter. Bring Larin home? 

No way it happens. They got Ciman through the same mechanism, the odds that they can get past 23 MLS clubs to get Larin is crazy. So unless TFC is willing to lose a lot, I can't see it happening. 

----------------------Bono-----------------------

----------VDW----Ciman---Mavinga-------

Auro-------------------------------------------Morrow

-----------------------Bradley---------------------

--------------Osorio------------Vazquez------

--------------Altidore---------Giovinco-----

3 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

No way it happens. They got Ciman through the same mechanism, the odds that they can get past 23 MLS clubs to get Larin is crazy. So unless TFC is willing to lose a lot, I can't see it happening. 

I know its just wishful thinking, the MLS has some dumb rules. Players should be able to sign where to want. 

2 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

----------------------Bono-----------------------

----------VDW----Ciman---Mavinga-------

Auro-------------------------------------------Morrow

-----------------------Bradley---------------------

--------------Osorio------------Vazquez------

--------------Altidore---------Giovinco-----

I like it but I thought Vanney said we would be switching to a 4-3-3. 

Roster spots and positions to have a better idea..might go a little deeper in the next days with salaries

Roster looks pretty solid..most interesting to add would be 1 player at cm 1 at forward and 1 gk

As of December 27th

Senior Roster (Spots 1-20)

1. Bono, Alex
  2. Auro
  3. Ciman, Laurent
  4. DeLeon, Nick
  5. Hagglund, Nick
  6. Mavinga, Chris
  7. Moor, Drew
  8. Morrow, Justin
  9. van der Wiel, Gregory
  10. Zavaleta, Eriq
  11. Bradley, Michael
  12. Delgado, Marky
  13. Osorio, Jonathan
  14. Vazquez, Victor
  15. Altidore, Jozy
  16. Giovinco, Sebastian
  17. Bakero, Jon (was on Supplemental Roster in 2018, might still be the case)

Supplemental Roster (Spots 21-24)*

21. Patterson-Sewell, Caleb
22. Morgan, Ashtone
23. Chapman, Jay
24. Telfer, Ryan

*Some of these players could be on the senior roster

Reserve Roster (Spots 25-30)

25. Dunn, Julian
26. Daniels, Aidan
27. Fraser, Liam
28. Akinola, Ayo

Designated Players

1. Altidore, Jozy
  2. Bradley, Michael
  3. Giovinco, Sebastian

International slots

1. Auro
  2. Bakero, Jon
  3. Giovinco, Sebastian
  4. Ciman, Laurent
  5. van der Wiel, Gregory
  6. Vazquez, Victor

Positions (no specific order and a player could be listed in more than one position)

GK
Bono, Alex
Patterson-Sewell, Caleb

LB
Morrow, Justin
Morgan, Ashtone
Telfer, Ryan
DeLeon, Nick
Moor, Drew
Mavinga, Chris

CB
Ciman, Laurent
Mavinga, Chris
Moor, Drew
Zavaleta, Eriq
Hagglund, Nick
Dunn, Julian
van der Wiel, Gregory
Bradley, Michael

RB
Auro
van der Wiel, Gregory
DeLeon, Nick
Moor, Drew
Morrow, Justin
Delgado, Marky
Hagglund, Nick
Ciman, Laurent

DM or CM
Bradley, Michael
Delgado, Marky
DeLeon, Nick
Chapman, Jay
Fraser, Liam
Vazquez, Victor
Osorio, Jonathan

CAM or Wing
Vazquez, Victor
Osorio, Jonathan
Giovinco, Sebastian
Telfer, Ryan
Auro
van der Wiel, Gregory
DeLeon, Nick
Morrow, Justin
Akinola, Ayo
Chapman, Jay
Daniels, Aidan
Bakero, Jon

CF
Altidore, Jozy
Giovinco, Sebastian
Akinola, Ayo
Bakero, Jon

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Osorio, Chapman, Morgan, Telfer, Daniels and Dunn. Am I forgetting anyone? That's kinda light on Canadian content.

Unfortunate to lose Ricketts and Hamilton, but there are a lot of Canadians in the system. It's on them to make the jump to the first team.

I recall Bezbatchenko saying they wanted to re-sign Hamilton so he may not be gone. 

As for the Ciman signing, I am curious as to what the salary will be. It is an upgrade over last season if he becomes the main organizer and Moor moves into the back up vet role to replace Hernandez. But I am curious as to why he keeps moving teams so much these days and do wonder if him constantly shouting at teammates on the field after a mistake is made is a part of that. Yes the organizer at the back needs to communicate but screaming at teammates after the ball is in the back of the net isn’t what communicating effectively is about.

Chapman and Telfer are turning 25 in 2019 so cant be on the reserve roster..Telfer is not a homegrown so if he gets more than the senior minimum salary he will occupy a senior roster spot (1-20)..having shown his quality in mls and with so many at lb he could be used as a piece in a trade

11 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Chapman and Telfer are turning 25 in 2019 so cant be on the reserve roster..Telfer is not a homegrown so if he gets more than the senior minimum salary he will occupy a senior roster spot (1-20)..having shown his quality in mls and with so many at lb he could be used as a piece in a trade

I would keep Telfer, isn’t he a mid fielder and not a LB? I dont think he would fetch much in a trade either. 

27 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I cant find the link I believe it was in a radio interview near the end of the season and I think we lined up in a 4-3-3 the last couple of games of the year. 

I don't know, the personnel doesn't really fit that formation. What natural, quality wingers do we have? Gio is much better in the middle than the wing. What happens if Jozy's hurt? Why do we need so many defenders if we play 4 at the back? If VDW plays RB then Auro sits. De Leon and Morgan are then your 4th and 5th FB's, that's overkill. Everything about this roster indicates 3-5-2.

2 hours ago, jpg75 said:

I don't know, the personnel doesn't really fit that formation. What natural, quality wingers do we have? Gio is much better in the middle than the wing. What happens if Jozy's hurt? Why do we need so many defenders if we play 4 at the back? If VDW plays RB then Auro sits. De Leon and Morgan are then your 4th and 5th FB's, that's overkill. Everything about this roster indicates 3-5-2.

It seems like a three man back line, doesn't it?  You've got Morrow and Morgan as wingbacks on the left, with Auro and De Leon doing the same on the right.  I thought I heard/read in the end of season presser that they wanted a bona fide wing threat, but maybe they feel that they can't find that guy in this particular transfer window or perhaps the price is too rich for the money available.

I am not sure about Ciman centering a back 3. He is mobile but often out of position. I think he can be an effective player but you need to design the defensive side of the team from the back line to the mids around him and how he plays. Above all you need to have another central defender that can cover him when he is out of position, ie. a good quality stay at home defensive CB. Montreal never did that so he ended up often costing us more goals than helping us. He seems completely unable to change or modify his playing style, at least he never did that in Montreal even though he should have realized he had to play it safe more with a constant stream of unsteady CBs beside him. If VDW or Mavinga are really good at covering him maybe it will work but I suspect having Ciman as the centre of a 3 man backline will often leave the centre exposed and cost a lot of goals.  If your management has plans to set up a system that allows him to do what he is good at while minimizing his flaws it could work.

12 hours ago, jpg75 said:

3-5-2 does make sense if you look at the roster , so does a 4-4-2. Maybe we will use multiple formations? 

We need a lot of defenders in case of injury. Mavinga is injury prone, Moor is 35 and Ciman is 33. I think VDW will see time at CB even though we have those three guys there.

With a back four I could see

VDW Ciman Mavinga Morrow

Auro VDW Mavinga Morrow

Auro Moor Ciman Morgan 

With the amount of games in CCL and the I’m not sure with the CPL if we will have to play more games in the Canadian Championship now there will be plenty of playing time to go around. 

13 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I am not sure about Ciman centering a back 3. He is mobile but often out of position. I think he can be an effective player but you need to design the defensive side of the team from the back line to the mids around him and how he plays. Above all you need to have another central defender that can cover him when he is out of position, ie. a good quality stay at home defensive CB. Montreal never did that so he ended up often costing us more goals than helping us. He seems completely unable to change or modify his playing style, at least he never did that in Montreal even though he should have realized he had to play it safe more with a constant stream of unsteady CBs beside him. If VDW or Mavinga are really good at covering him maybe it will work but I suspect having Ciman as the centre of a 3 man backline will often leave the centre exposed and cost a lot of goals.  If your management has plans to set up a system that allows him to do what he is good at while minimizing his flaws it could work.

I came here to propose the following formation and will quote you as it's relevant to your comment:

----------------------Bono-----------------

----------------------Moor-----------------

-----------Ciman-----------Mavinga---------

VDW(auro)------------------------------Morrow

-----------------------Bradley------------------------

------------Osorio-------------Vazquez---------------

----------------Giovinco--Altidore------------------

Basically, that coincides with what you are saying. Retain Moor in the centre of the back 3 and have Ciman and Mavinga as the right and left CBs. Both are quick and aggressive and can pass out of the back and both are French speakers so communication will not be an issue. On the flanks, VDW and Morrow are both 30 and 31 respectively, but both are still very athletic and will have no problem attacking and providing service from out wide. We know how good Morrow is from that position and VDW showed glimpses last year when deployed there of his quality, with some real tantalizing crosses. Auro can fill in and give a more possession-based look on the right if the game calls for it. The other positions pick themselves.

How about the MLS draft? #6 pick we might actually be able to get a useful player this time round.  Bono was a 6, Hagglund and Frei were mid first rounders.  We have had some high picks but other than the keepers (Frei/Bono), and Edu, Cronin (for someone else) we havnt had much luck.  What is BEZ/VANNEY looking for?  Another keeper (St Clair?), maybe a striker??  

On 12/30/2018 at 3:36 PM, Mikmacdo said:

I wouldn’t count on anything out of the MLS draft. 

This is so true of the draft in general as it pertains to soccer in North America.   You just have to look at Atlanta.  First year in the league as an expansion team and they make the playoff,  the second year they are champions.  You dont need to wait and develop when you can buy a player like Almiron on the international market who might even be of the same age as the college players your drafting.  And, who can have much greater immediate impact because they are more advanced as far as development. 

They will need to rethink the pertinance of draft.

Archived