TFC 2018-2019 Off-season

Gian-Luca

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't read the French in the Tweet, and am nor too willing to go and translate it, but I will say that CBs lately are being linked to TFC left-right and centre.

Does Ciman to Toronto have any more substance than Omar Gonzalez or Geoff Cameron etc? For me, this is one too many a rumour now, so unless the Tweet says otherwise, I'll chalk this up to baseless speculation.

I also don't think he's the right fit for Toronto, for several reasons, but chief amongst them is his propensity for finding himself out of position. His style could work in the right system, and LAFC seemed like a good home for him in that regard, but the last thing Toronto needs is a CB like that.

On 12/19/2018 at 8:01 PM, Jith12 said:

So, I was going through the list of cases that the Court of Arbitration for Sport will be hearing over the next few months in light of the Fury challenging CONCACAF's motion to boot them from the USL. While going through the list I found that on January 10, one of the cases is "Fenerbahce Futbol AS v. Gregory van der Wiel". Does anyone know what this is about?

In the press conferance when GWL was introduced to media in Toronto,   he talked about a dispute that he had with club in Turkey that had defrauded him in some investment scheme.

8 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Vanney apparently said he will be using Deleon as an attacking winger. 

Cimon makes sense with TFC trading up on the allocation list to sign him. 

VDW will probably stay at RB. 

If we sign Cimon then we can turn our attention to a forward/striker Jansen? 

I have been thinking about this a bit more and perhaps my last comment was a little short sighted.

Indeed, Vanney could very well reshuffle things at the back, as to get the most out of Ciman. There is no doubt he is a good centre back, after all.

At 33 he's getting a little bit long in the tooth, but TFC for years has been building to win championships today, not tomorrow, so his age doesn't bother me (plus he's the same age as me, so y'know...).

That being said, it's a little strange to me that they'd burn their allocation spot on Ciman. Feels like a plan B to me. I'd still prefer Fabian Johnson, due to his versatility, but Cincy does want him and they do hold the top spot. Ciman is not a bad back up plan, if that's what is going on.

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

That being said, it's a little strange to me that they'd burn their allocation spot on Ciman. Feels like a plan B to me. I'd still prefer Fabian Johnson, due to his versatility, but Cincy does want him and they do hold the top spot. Ciman is not a bad back up plan, if that's what is going on.

I always thought Johnson was a wingback/fullback guy, whereas with Ciman at least your getting a bona fide CB type, which is what the team really needs here.  They are already transitioning a natural RB into a regular CB starter with GVW, and I'm not as sold on his long term success in that position as the club and others here seem to be.

VDW-Ciman-Mavinga-Morrow

Bradley-Delgado

Osorio-Vasquez-Gio

Altidore

Thats probably our best 11 in a 4-2-3-1 formation. I worry if Vasquez or Altidore gets hurt we dont really have anyone like them on the bench. 

We have three solid backups in Auro, Deleon and Moor. We really need Jansen back or a replacement. I wonder if we could get Liam Miller on a loan from Liverpool. 

22 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I always thought Johnson was a wingback/fullback guy, whereas with Ciman at least your getting a bona fide CB type, which is what the team really needs here.  They are already transitioning a natural RB into a regular CB starter with GVW, and I'm not as sold on his long term success in that position as the club and others here seem to be.

You're right, he is. And Ciman is indeed a pure CB. It certainly is what TFC needs. Perhaps I should have added the caveat that I would prefer Johnson on the assumption that someone other than Ciman would be brought in for CB, such as the Austrian player.

What I liked about the Fabian Johnson thing is that he's a player you could play in Janson's position. That's what I meant when I say I like his versatility.

Moreover, he's a younger player than Ciman, though he'd certainly be much more expensive. Probably too expensive, so I have begun to forget the idea and I am instead warming up to the possibility of Ciman instead. But Johnson did recently for Monchengladbach against Dortmund. Could have been a great pick up. I'm sure he'll be a DP if he goes to Cincy.

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

You're right, he is. And Ciman is indeed a pure CB. It certainly is what TFC needs. Perhaps I should have added the caveat that I would prefer Johnson on the assumption that someone other than Ciman would be brought in for CB, such as the Austrian player.

What I liked about the Fabian Johnson thing is that he's a player you could play in Janson's position. That's what I meant when I say I like his versatility.

Moreover, he's a younger player than Ciman, though he'd certainly be much more expensive. Probably too expensive, so I have begun to forget the idea and I am instead warming up to the possibility of Ciman instead. But Johnson did recently for Monchengladbach against Dortmund. Could have been a great pick up. I'm sure he'll be a DP if he goes to Cincy.

Depending upon the nature of his contract, Ciman would be a massive upgrade over Hernandez, so at the very least the club won't be opting to put Bradley back into central defence.

On 12/24/2018 at 4:54 PM, Dub Narcotic said:

Agreed, has this guy actually been that good recently? If he's a non-TAM it's alright but I'd hate to see them throwing a lot of money at yet another aging CB.

He’s 33, he has a couple of years left in him. You can rotate Moor in so neither has a huge workload. 

Toronto FC announced today that the club has acquired Belgian international centre back Laurent Ciman with Major League Soccer’s number one allocation slot. TFC acquired the number one slot in the allocation order after trading the number two slot to FC Cincinnati along with TFC’s natural second round pick in the 2019 MLS SuperDraft.

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/12/27/toronto-fc-select-ciman-top-allocation-ranking/0

Great news! Zavaleta falls to 4th on the depth chart. That should mean there is very little shot of Zavs and Hagglund playing together. 

Now bring back Jansen or find a similar replacement. 

VDW-Ciman-Mavinga-Morrow

Vasquez-Bradley-Osorio

?-Altidore-Gio

It not Jansen then who? Liam Miller on a load from Liverpool would be perfect. 

Great news! I can see a Ciman-Mavinga pairing being amongst the leagues best. Drew Moor is an excellent 3rd option, perhaps one of the best 3rd options in the league. Zavaleta is a very respectable 4th choice. 

VDW and Auro probably would rank very highly for a RB tandem in my opinion. On the left, Morrow is still one of the better options in the league and Morgan is a capable backup. 

VDW, Mavinga and Morrow can play in multiple spots on the backline, so that flexibility should also help.

And we know TFC have no problem in midfield and at forward.

Things looking good for the reds!

So whats left on the shopping list? Another striker/winger? Cheap back up keeper?

I wonder if Hagglund is on the way out?  If Moor/Mavinga/Ciman can all stay healthy he wont get alot of minutes.  Except for the times when Vanney brings him in for a striker.  

14 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

So whats left on the shopping list? Another striker/winger? Cheap back up keeper?

I wonder if Hagglund is on the way out?  If Moor/Mavinga/Ciman can all stay healthy he wont get alot of minutes.  Except for the times when Vanney brings him in for a striker.  

I see bringing Jansen back as the last necessary business. I wonder if they are quibbling over a transfer fee with Tigre?

As for cheap back up keepers, didn't Toronto acquire a young reserve keeper from Sao paulo? Or was that just a rumour?

14 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Part of me wishes we had more Canadians on the roster. Could we get a backup Canadian goalkeeper? 

Osorio, Chapman, Morgan, Telfer, Daniels and Dunn. Am I forgetting anyone? That's kinda light on Canadian content.

Unfortunate to lose Ricketts and Hamilton, but there are a lot of Canadians in the system. It's on them to make the jump to the first team.

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Osorio, Chapman, Morgan, Telfer, Daniels and Dunn. Am I forgetting anyone? That's kinda light on Canadian content.

Unfortunate to lose Ricketts and Hamilton, but there are a lot of Canadians in the system. It's on them to make the jump to the first team.

Liam Fraser     0 keepers, 2 of 11 defenders, 5 of 8 mid .01 attackers of 4 .   5 roster spots open.

Archived