TFC 2018-2019 Off-season

Gian-Luca

1 minute ago, Free kick said:

This is so true of the draft in general as it pertains to soccer in North America.   You just have to look at Atlanta.  First year in the league as an expansion team and they make the playoff,  the second year they are champions.  You dont need to wait and develop when you can buy a player like Almiron on the international market who might even be of the same age as the college players your drafting.  And, who can have much greater immediate impact because they are more advanced as far as development. 

They will need to rethink the pertinance of draft.

Maybe they can follow what the nba does and offer guaranteed contracts and open it up to international players. 

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Free kick said:

This is so true of the draft in general as it pertains to soccer in North America.   You just have to look at Atlanta.  First year in the league as an expansion team and they make the playoff,  the second year they are champions.  You dont need to wait and develop when you can buy a player like Almiron on the international market who might even be of the same age as the college players your drafting.  And, who can have much greater immediate impact because they are more advanced as far as development. 

The draft has lost a ton of influence, but there are still good players to be found (albeit fewer and fewer with each passing year).

Atlanta's most versatile player, Julian Gressel, was drafted last year and has become a key piece of that MLS juggernaut side.

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

The draft has lost a ton of influence, but there are still good players to be found (albeit fewer and fewer with each passing year).

Atlanta's most versatile player, Julian Gressel, was drafted last year and has become a key piece of that MLS juggernaut side.

I think MLS keeps the draft and tries to make it pertinent to maintain the relationship with NCAA.  So many schools, so many players (potential fanbase), and the basis of a deep pool of talent for MLS and USMNT.  A flawed pathway, and not the best route for the most talented, but just look at all the foreign kids playing in NCAA (TFC's Bakero etc), that never would have come over and played college ball. So maybe talent levels wont keep dropping.

its the same with our CPL draft.  Maybe none of those kids make it big, maybe its easier to sign some goober from SA/Mexico, but if you show our CDN kids there is a pathway (NCAA/CAN U etc) then maybe a few will wriggle through (Telfer/Edwards/Babouli).

18 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I think MLS keeps the draft and tries to make it pertinent to maintain the relationship with NCAA.  So many schools, so many players (potential fanbase), and the basis of a deep pool of talent for MLS and USMNT.  A flawed pathway, and not the best route for the most talented, but just look at all the foreign kids playing in NCAA (TFC's Bakero etc), that never would have come over and played college ball. So maybe talent levels wont keep dropping.

its the same with our CPL draft.  Maybe none of those kids make it big, maybe its easier to sign some goober from SA/Mexico, but if you show our CDN kids there is a pathway (NCAA/CAN U etc) then maybe a few will wriggle through (Telfer/Edwards/Babouli).

I find the NCAA is still good to find some players both from overseas and North America that may have gone unnoticed or for some late bloomers so I think it the draft will always be around in some form or the other.

5 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Jansen back to the Tigres. TFC is not picking up the option, I guess they could still be in talks to lower the fee but at this point I would just assume he is not returning which sucks because outside of Jozy and Giovinco we have nothing up front. 

If Jansen is gone, Ricketts and Hamilton gone, BEZ  must think Bakero and Akinola are really good prospects!!  Or is Bez just mailing these last few months in??  I hope Curtis (the letter writing guy=younger and cheaper players) will be a boost for some of our youngsters.  And if we are lucky he'll rub Vanney the wrong way and we can get rid of him too.  

Hamilton is the same age as Bakero and has done a lot more. I dont see much in Bakero and Akinola would be ok as a 4th or 5th striker. 

I know this is slightly off topic but what do you guys think we will do in a year when the big 3s contracts expire?

I think we let them go, maybe sell in the summer window if the season isn’t going as well as it should be. I would like to replace them with Canadians like bring Atiba/Arfield in for Bradley, Hoilet for Joey and Cavalinni in for Giovinco. 

32 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Hamilton is the same age as Bakero and has done a lot more. I dont see much in Bakero and Akinola would be ok as a 4th or 5th striker. 

I know this is slightly off topic but what do you guys think we will do in a year when the big 3s contracts expire?

I think we let them go, maybe sell in the summer window if the season isn’t going as well as it should be. I would like to replace them with Canadians like bring Atiba/Arfield in for Bradley, Hoilet for Joey and Cavalinni in for Giovinco. 

As much as I love the CanMNT... ripping up the core all at once is simply a bad idea. With all due respect to our guys, you'd have to bring in much, much better players to justify swapping out all 3 DPs at once. 

One reason TFC have been so good, talent aside, is that turnover has been low and the core has remained intact.

Sooner or later, those 3 dps will need to be phased out, but not in that way and for those players.

And in truth, Cavllini, Hutchinson, Hoilett and Arfield are all likely on TAM money right now (albeit whilst playing abroad), so if you're Toronto, do you really want to bring any of them in as DP players in the summer, when they are all 6 months older no less?

2 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

I think I saw Cav was getting over 2 mill a season, Hoilett is getting 2.68 pounds per year yes Arfield and Hutch at his age would come on TAM money for sure. 

I always knew Cardiff weren't big spenders, but.... ;)

Cardiff hasn't actually released his salary details from what I can see. In fact, as far as I know, none of the players who have signed contracts recently have had details released. 

If I were to speculate though, I would say he is making somewhere between £1 to £1.2 million per year. That would put him at the high end of the TAM pay scale.

Of the 12 players that do have salaries released, the highest earner is Harry Arter who earns £2 million/yr. The lowest is Niel Etheridge at £0.35 million/yr. 

At £1.2M, Hoilett would be the second highest paid player on the list, and that would roughly amount to £24,000 a week. His salary at QPR was over £40,000 weekly and that was considered exorbanant at the time.

They were throwing around lots of money. Cardiff don't do that. So my guess is £24,000 a week.

Edit: meant to post this earlier https://www.spotrac.com/epl/cardiff-city-f.c/payroll/

Cav is making 2mil in wages?? Or is worth 2mil on a transfer??  I didnt think there were many guys in Liga MX making over a million a season (from an old article from 2016).  Isnt Gignac making 3-4mil a season??   I guess he'd be cheaper than Giovinco.  

48 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Not sure why when I google Junior Hoilet salary it says 2.68. 

Either way I would probably take him over Jozy and his bum ankle. 

If Gio is worth 6 then I would pay Cav 2-3 

That's his QPR contract from 2012 you are looking at in Google. 

I doubt very much Cav makes 2 million. I suspect you are looking at his value on transfermarket.

At any rate, I think comparing Jozy to Junior is like apples to oranges.

Comparing Cavallini to Jozy makes more sense. As much as I love Cav, I would still gamble on Jozy being healthy, if for anything he already knows the club, the system, etc. He puts the ball in the net.

Cavallini though I would love to bring in once Jozy moves on....

On a TAM deal.

57 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Cav is making 2mil in wages?? Or is worth 2mil on a transfer??  I didnt think there were many guys in Liga MX making over a million a season (from an old article from 2016).  Isnt Gignac making 3-4mil a season??   I guess he'd be cheaper than Giovinco.  

Probably the latter. Puebla aren't a very big club by Liga MX standards.

8 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

I dont really care Bez is gone we wont because we spent way more than anyone else its not like he was finding diamonds in the rough for cheap and winning that way. Ali Curtis should be just as good or better. 

Whether we like it or not, a GM will always be judged by the the trophies he delieverred under his watch.  Ultimately, its trophies, playoffs and wins that are the only objective measurement of success for GM. 

TFC also spent before Bezbatchenko got here.   But there was no success.  Its how you spend that counts ultimately and thats the job of the GM.   As far as diamonds in the rough, i would put Victor Vasquez and Chris Mavinga in that category.  Ali Curtis will have a tough act to follow. 

On 12/31/2018 at 7:10 PM, Bison44 said:

Yes.  To a lesser extent, Its also a show and a piece of marketing that they copy from what the other sports do to keep their product/sport relevant in the off season when there are no games to talk about. 

So Bez is going to be made President of the Crew which for some is a promotion (i'd rather build the team than be the big picture guy). If the new owner spends money then maybe it's not a bad move for him, but good with that move.

Ali Curtis, welcome to TFC. You've been given the keys to a Ferrari, keep it between the ditches and we'll be good.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

So Bez is going to be made President of the Crew which for some is a promotion (i'd rather build the team than be the big picture guy). If the new owner spends money then maybe it's not a bad move for him, but good with that move.

Ali Curtis, welcome to TFC. You've been given the keys to a Ferrari, keep it between the ditches and we'll be good.

Depends on the person.  But, there’s Better job security as a president.  So many things that are out of your control can go wrong when your a GM (eg.: injuries,  personality conflicts in the locker room, underperformance, chemistry,  unreasonable fan expectation..etc). 

As president,  you can better plan and see the fruits of your plan.  As GM,  you can try to plan but more often than not your dealing with day to day things all the time.  

Archived