TFC 2018-2019 Off-season

Gian-Luca

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

If that were the case, wouldn't it make more sense for him to be joining Xavi's club now? Not saying you're wrong, but it seems more likely that Al Arabi would be the ones offering him a coaching opportunity after his playing days, not a rival club such as Xavi's team.

I know we are OT, but really, in Qatar, it is even closer to single entity, if that is what you call it, than MLS. Each team gets three foreign players, not from Asia, and it looks to me that they just decide this between themselves. Maybe I'm exagerrating.

In any case, the key is that they do their coaching licensing by training Qatar u-20 and lower ages, and then Aspire kids and up and comers, and Aspire is high quality, as are their facilities. In fact there are a lot of Spaniards who have coached there, and the current director is Spanish and used to coach in the At Bilbao academy, Edorta Murua. Their global ambassadors are Xavi, Raul, Messi and Pele. Aspire also own Eupen in Belgium and Cultural Leonesa, a team that should be in 2nd div Spain,  but relegated.

It is a set up where you can pretty well coast as a player, and I don't want to take away from the fact that Xavi's team played Asia Champions League, and make good money while preparing the next step professionally. 

Let me just say I personally know a coach, an ex pro, Santi Pou, who used to coach my kid, and is a lovely guy--and he is both an external assistant at Girona and scouting and coaching for Aspire. He's also the inventor of futtoc, https://www.futtoc.com/

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ummm, so the roster is set, the new manager can just coast into the season.  Yeah..right!  Wait, you have to do the draft, unload Vasquez, trade Hagglund to get TAM and #1 spot so you can make a big splash signing and I left you a new box of staples in the bottom desk drawer.  Oh yeah and work on a plan with what to do with Gio, resign or what??  

How much money does TFC have to spend now with VV, Hagglund, Akexte and GVDW on the way out? 4 million?

Fabian Johnson seems like a good fit on the allocation list. Vanney is looking for speed on the wing and he can provide that. 

With 4 million they can probably get Fabian, a good forward and a creative midfielder. 

I’d like to know what the ratio of subtractions to additions is from the roster and team this off season.  Seems like every roster news that has been comming out is about key players or personel leaving or being released rather than of exciting additions.   Vasquez, as someone else pointed out, was someone you could have placed on a short list for league MVP a few years ago.   Its imposible to stay confident of seeing trophy presentations in 2019 given all the news of the last month comming out of the TFC camp. 

Quite a good trade for Hagglund considering his ceiling is probably lower end MLS starter. Too bad he won't be CMNT eligible but he'd be depth at best so not the biggest loss. I'll never forget his playoff goal against Montreal though.

As for VDW I'm disappointed if he leaves as well. He wasn't what we expected at RB but was very solid at CB, now we're looking thin at CB. If Ciman/Moor/Mavinga stay healthy all year we're fine but if there are injuries we're very screwed, all we have behind them is nephew. 

VDW apparently made 800k so we should have tons of money to work with now.

16 minutes ago, Bdog said:

Quite a good trade for Hagglund considering his ceiling is probably lower end MLS starter. Too bad he won't be CMNT eligible but he'd be depth at best so not the biggest loss. I'll never forget his playoff goal against Montreal though.

As for VDW I'm disappointed if he leaves as well. He wasn't what we expected at RB but was very solid at CB, now we're looking thin at CB. If Ciman/Moor/Mavinga stay healthy all year we're fine but if there are injuries we're very screwed, all we have behind them is nephew. 

VDW apparently made 800k so we should have tons of money to work with now.

Hagglund was a good and usefull piece.  The only aerial presence the team had on set pieces.  He was also young enough to still have an upside. 

4 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

How much money does TFC have to spend now with VV, Hagglund, Akexte and GVDW on the way out? 4 million?

Fabian Johnson seems like a good fit on the allocation list. Vanney is looking for speed on the wing and he can provide that. 

With 4 million they can probably get Fabian, a good forward and a creative midfielder. 

All well and good to have money to spend but are they going to get the kind of value from that money that equals what has departed?   Thats the question.  You could end up with another Aketxe with some of that money just as easily that you could find another Vazquez.   Thats the nature and lessen learned from 12 years following this league.  You just never know who is going to fit in and adapt and make an impact. 

Other examples,  Altidore is here because Jermaine Defoe got home sick.  And if Defoe stays,  would they have spent the money they did to get Giovinco? I doubt it. And without Giovinco and Altidore how many trophies would TFC have?  

MLS is a weird league because of the cap and salary structure.  In other leagues around the globe, you more often get what you pay for.  if you have lots of money to spend you have a large margin of error because any incomming talent is more likely to fit and look good because there is comparable valued talent around them.  In MLS,  a guy like Giovinco is going to play on the same pitch as some college guy who might be a second or third division player in europe.  Giovinco can rise above that and make others better. But was Torsten Frings able to do the same?  Yes, i know they play different roles but even though Frings had a bigger pedigree, he did not have anywhere near the impact as Giovinco.  Much less Bradley. Yet, Frings started every game for a national team that went to the world cup. Finals 

8 hours ago, Free kick said:

Hagglund was a good and usefull piece.  The only aerial presence the team had on set pieces.  He was also young enough to still have an upside. 

He was so slow though, maybe he can improve but for the haul TFC brought in, it was a no brainer to let him go. 

TFC needs a CAM, a winger/forward, backup goalie and now probably another defender who can play CB in a 3-5-2 and RB in a 4-4-2. 

Obviously can't confirm whether true, but someone on Instagram said he took a swing at Vanney. Mouthing off is one thing, but trying to punch out your manager is not something you can come back from, I wouldn't think.

Still holding out a tiny bit of hope that wasn't the case and that it will all blow over, but I do think it's done, sadly.

This is not shaping up to be a run at the treble.  Very disappointing incident and now really the team is behind the 8 ball.  Need some major pieces to replace a couple of the departed and some depth up front.  Hope Ali is up to the job. 

The signings from TFC2 are not ready to get major minutes in this league from my limited observations of them last couple of years.  I really hope we get some news to be excited about in the next couple of weeks.

21 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

This is not shaping up to be a run at the treble.  Very disappointing incident and now really the team is behind the 8 ball.  Need some major pieces to replace a couple of the departed and some depth up front.  Hope Ali is up to the job. 

The signings from TFC2 are not ready to get major minutes in this league from my limited observations of them last couple of years.  I really hope we get some news to be excited about in the next couple of weeks.

Normally I would say wait until the summer transfer window, so that we can get better deals. The team is still strong without Vazquez and it allows time to asses the squad and what the needs are. However, in light of the VDW news, the team (and fans) could use a big move or two now to raise the spirits and switch the negative narrative that's brewing.

Fabian Johnson would add a lot and with the TAM, it could be possible - especially if VDW moves on clearing 800k off the books. Hell, I know TFC won't be in a position of power for negotiations, but surely VDW could fetch, at the very least, a 500k transfer fee. That would further bolster the flexibility.

Yes, if we lose Vazquez, Janson, VDW and Nicky, but pick up Fabian Johnson, Ciman and a young attacking midfielder from Europe or South America, that would save the transfer window in my opinion. It wouldn't be a good window considering the exists, but I would consider us all squared up talent wise, at least.

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Normally I would say wait until the summer transfer window, so that we can get better deals. The team is still strong without Vazquez and it allows time to asses the squad and what the needs are. However, in light of the VDW news, the team (and fans) could use a big move or two now to raise the spirits and switch the negative narrative that's brewing.

Fabian Johnson would add a lot and with the TAM, it could be possible - especially if VDW moves on clearing 800k off the books. Hell, I know TFC won't be in a position of power for negotiations, but surely VDW could fetch, at the very least, a 500k transfer fee. That would further bolster the flexibility.

Yes, if we lose Vazquez, Janson, VDW and Nicky, but pick up Fabian Johnson, Ciman and a young attacking midfielder from Europe or South America, that would save the transfer window in my opinion. It wouldn't be a good window considering the exists, but I would consider us all squared up talent wise, at least.

TFC can pickup 2-3 guys with TAM now that VDW is out. Also they added Nick Deleon who is a solid player. 

Auro-Ciman-Mavinga-Morrow

Deleon-Delgado-Bradley-Osorio

Gio-Altidore is still good even without additions. 

3 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

TFC can pickup 2-3 guys with TAM now that VDW is out. Also they added Nick Deleon who is a solid player. 

Agreed. I would play a diamond and put Chapman ahead of Deleon and keep Nick as as RB cover for Auro, temporarily.

Bench would be thin, but starting 11 would still be strong:

LB - Morgan

CB - Zavaletta

CB - Moor

CM - Liam Fraser

RB/RW - Deleon 

GK - who is the back up again?

F - Hamilton

Alternates: Endo, Dunn, Daniels, Okello

2 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

This is good no doubt. But not excellent and once again we have to battle in CCL and we will need second options for at least 7-8 of those guys.  As we haven't increased the quality of the reserves - actually the subs really have been downgraded and last year didn't work out very well I am really hopeful that they spend some money very soon and add a little more to the club.  Currently it seems like last year all over again minus Victor who was one of the most important if not the important person on the squad.

Archived