TFC 2018-2019 Off-season

Gian-Luca

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While it would have been great if they had drafted a Canadian,  the management of any business is to achieve both success and therefore profit.  They draft who they see fit.  

The academies are mostly Canadian and they have promoted Canadians like Telfer, Chapman, Dunn, Fraser,...  it’s not like they hate Canada like some other clubs.

I was kind of torn, management will give a draft pick a good look (it makes them look good if he works out) so drafting a CDN would have been nice, but then he competes with the academy kids.  Probably better that Buchanon, Miller and St Clair went to american teams.  If they all have domestic status let them carve out a roster spot down there.  I do wonder what this means for Daniels, Okello, Srbely maybe even Chapman for next year.  Kind of surprised they didnt draft a CB project.  

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I was kind of torn, management will give a draft pick a good look (it makes them look good if he works out) so drafting a CDN would have been nice, but then he competes with the academy kids.  Probably better that Buchanon, Miller and St Clair went to american teams.  If they all have domestic status let them carve out a roster spot down there.  I do wonder what this means for Daniels, Okello, Srbely maybe even Chapman for next year.  Kind of surprised they didnt draft a CB project.  

Dunn is the CB project. Montgomery would have been great but he went 4th and wasn’t generation adidas. 

24 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

The bothersome thing is not that they drafted non-Canadians but that they took two midfielders when the back line is older  and they have two aging attackers and then two unproven understudies.  How they thought adding to the midfield was a priority is beyond me.

Cant bring in another young CB (cuts into Zav/son in law) and I guess Vanney thinks more of Akinola and Bakero than we do (must because they let Hamilton go).  Cause from the articles it sounds like management are all set with how the lineup looks.  Maybe no more big roster moves??

2 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Rumour of Victor Vasquez to Qatar. If we use the money from Victor we could probably bring Jansen back and have leftover money to grab another player. If we do switch to a 4-3-3 it kind of makes sense. 

If we sell Vazquez i want someone alot better than Jansen as a replacement.

Sadly, it now seems to be more than just a rumour:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/01/15/toronto-fc-set-sell-playmaker-victor-vazquez-qatari-club

I don't get this move at all unless they have another player who is younger and just as good ready in the wings to be signed. This was the missing piece from 2016 that put us over the top for 2017. They will need to find someone comparable to replace him.

TSN article claims that the move was initiated by Vazquez, which I suppose makes the club look less insane. Now I wonder why Victor wanted to leave when he claimed he and his family were so much happier here than in Mexico - simply a new challenge in warmer weathe than Toronto? Cash?

https://www.tsn.ca/tfc-to-transfer-vazquez-to-qatar-club-1.1241831

Just now, Gian-Luca said:

TSN article claims that the move was initiated by Vazquez, which I suppose makes the club look less insane. Now I wonder why Victor wanted to leave when he claimed he and his family were so much happier here than in Mexico - simply a new challenge in warmer weathe than Toronto? Cash?

https://www.tsn.ca/tfc-to-transfer-vazquez-to-qatar-club-1.1241831

A nice long term contract is why hes leaving. 

It will be interesting to see what they do with the money. 

I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing VDW shipping out too to free up more money. Auro deserves to start. 

The dual Giovinco-Altidore video interview in that link I posted is hilarious by the way - even if unintentionally so. Its refreshing to see sports athletes in Toronto (or for that matter US & Canada) not give the standard answers and blase responses that we get with so many other . Giovinco laughing and saying "Why you guys talk with us?" a minute in was priceless.

Archived