On 2018-03-15 at 12:46 PM, Free kick said:

What this tells me (and also from watching the replay last night), Is that TFC may have escaped with one in this tie.  And,  that the pundits may have been premature after the first leg when they declared that MLS is closing gap.  

There were some players who can look good against league opponents but are not at the level of the Mexican sides.   Seattle didn't survive after all 

Seattle was missing like 7 starters that team they put out there was more like a USL team, Seattle had more than half there starters out injured to be fair to them, yes Chivas won big in their game at home, but I truly believe if they had all of there starters healthy we might have seen a different result.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Seattle was missing like 7 starters that team they put out there was more like a USL team, Seattle had more than half there starters out injured to be fair to them, yes Chivas won big in their game at home, but I truly believe if they had all of there starters healthy we might have seen a different result.

True.  What i find frustrating is the easy path that NYRB are getting.  They are facing, based on current form, of the weakest mexican club in Chivas.  All the strong clubs got stacked on one side of the bracket.

9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Well lets do this Sherlock Holmes style, eliminate all other options and the one left must be true.  Who was the worst TFC player??  Not Gio, Jozy, Oso, Mavinga, Auro, Bradley, Bono, Morrow, Vasquez or Moor.  Left with VDW or Zavellta, maybe Hagglund or Delgado??  

I’d say all three CB’s not named Mavinga made more mistakes than VDW did, but the team got away with the ones Moor (who even Caldwell claimed was a lucky boy on the night) and Zavaleta made. Not saying the were all absolutely horrible or anything but they and Delgado would be closer to that title (if one truly felt the need to use it) than the player who has the buxom Belgian blonde for his bride.

Tbh I don't think Toronto have played that bad in their first two MLS games. For the most part they controlled the games and got beat by two teams who have good counter-attacks.

I think the team has outgrown a lot of it's centrebacks though. Also Aketxe seems to be still adjusting.

2 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Tbh I don't think Toronto have played that bad in their first two MLS games. For the most part they controlled the games and got beat by two teams who have good counter-attacks.

I think the team has outgrown a lot of it's centrebacks though. Also Aketxe seems to be still adjusting.

Yes, I hope Aketxe adjusts.  A few pages back I was pointing out how favourably Auro Jr has looked.   So far ( I know it's still early),  Aketxe is the new off season addition that has the least impressed me.  And that because I am seeing that he is  getting dispossessed of the ball too easily on many occasion.    

I agree about the team performance so far this year.   They played mostly well today.  How many times did Montreal touch the ball in the first half?  

34 minutes ago, nazzer said:

Where's Ricketts been this year?

Hamilton seems to be beating him to the #3 spot on the bench so far this year. Not that it matters too much since Vanney won't play either of them at the moment, even with no goals scored this season.

12 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Hamilton seems to be beating him to the #3 spot on the bench so far this year. Not that it matters too much since Vanney won't play either of them at the moment, even with no goals scored this season.

It's a shame Vanney won't change the forwards, Jozy has been fairly absent in MLS play anyway, you would think it would be worth getting Hamilton's fresh legs and change of pace into the match at some point would make sense!

13 hours ago, Free kick said:

Yes, I hope Aketxe adjusts.  A few pages back I was pointing out how favourably Auro Jr has looked.   So far ( I know it's still early),  Aketxe is the new off season addition that has the least impressed me.  And that because I am seeing that he is  getting dispossessed of the ball too easily on many occasion.    

I agree about the team performance so far this year.   They played mostly well today.  How many times did Montreal touch the ball in the first half?  

Ager Aketxe has been frustrating to watch - because he is clearly very talented.

He is adjusting to the league for sure, but I think the team is also adjusting to him, and seeking to find a balance that works. When Delgado is in the midfield, the team has more balance somehow.

The way Marky shows for the ball is fantastic. He provides an outlet and proceeds to move the ball along very quickly. That is his primary function when Toronto has the ball - and when he does this well, the team does well. 

But when Aketxe is on the field, he takes up different positions, which in turn forces the team to adjust the way the play a little. Ager needs to figure out what positions to take up to have more impact, or the team needs to adjust to the positions he takes up and find a way to be more dangerous with Ager in those spots.

Neither of those things has happened yet, but it's a long season and they'll figure it out. 

I wonder if they have experimented with playing Aketxe as a second striker in training, like in the Giovinco role. Bring him off the bench and put him closer to goal, where he can create chances for himself and his teammates. 

The other thing I noticed is that when Vazquez is on the field, he'll float around and take up high positions or wide positions, and can Aketxe take up such positions at the same time? I don't know, but for now it seems like there are one too many cooks in the kitchen with Aketxe around - though his potential is very exciting.

Delgado and Bono have been called into the US camp for this weekend's match against Paraguay. Neither played in the last game they were called for. I wouldn't be surprised if Delgado doesn't see the field again to be honest as Tyler Adams, Will Trapp and Darlington Nagbe are also called to a fairly youthful US team and I'm not sure if I am playing Delgado ahead of any of those guys if I'm the US interim coach (although clearly, I'm not the US interim coach). Bono will be up against Bill Hamid and Zack Steffen for playing time.

It means TFC will have 6 players away this weekend, four in Spain and two in North Carolina.

On 3/19/2018 at 3:42 PM, Gian-Luca said:

Delgado and Bono have been called into the US camp for this weekend's match against Paraguay. Neither played in the last game they were called for. I wouldn't be surprised if Delgado doesn't see the field again to be honest as Tyler Adams, Will Trapp and Darlington Nagbe are also called to a fairly youthful US team and I'm not sure if I am playing Delgado ahead of any of those guys if I'm the US interim coach (although clearly, I'm not the US interim coach). Bono will be up against Bill Hamid and Zack Steffen for playing time.

It means TFC will have 6 players away this weekend, four in Spain and two in North Carolina.

I say this as a TFC fan:  If I'm a fan of the US national team and Bono and Delgado are getting a sniff on my depth chart, I'd have serious concerns about where my team is heading.  They both play important roles for TFC but I would hope the US has better players in their pool.  Or maybe I don't hope that.  :)

Once again Bradley voted 2nd most overrated player in MLS, with Altidore tied for 3rd - both beaten by Gio Dos Santos.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/story/3426062/giovani-dos-santos-voted-most-overrated-in-poll-of-mls-players

In the video above they mention that Morrow, Osorio and Vazquez got votes as most underrated (Piatti won this category).

2 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

Bradley is the one player I would hate to be missing in a game, far more than Giovinco

Yea.. how the best central midfielder in the league is overrated is beyond me.  Overpaid?  Sure, most of the DPs are and that's why they're here.. but he's definitely not overrated.  Maybe actually underrated seeing as he gets a lot more hate than love it seems.

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

Yea.. how the best central midfielder in the league is overrated is beyond me.  Overpaid?  Sure, most of the DPs are and that's why they're here.. but he's definitely not overrated.  Maybe actually underrated seeing as he gets a lot more hate than love it seems.

Same thing I thought. Overrated? Not really. Overpaid? yeah...

On 3/21/2018 at 5:46 PM, Keegan said:

Yea.. how the best central midfielder in the league is overrated is beyond me.  Overpaid?  

Well, given this was a poll of "peers" I think this is closer to what they were voting on when they were voting.  Green with jealousy / jealous of the green.

I mean, how dare he take all that money, a DP slot, and all the f'n hardware?

Archived