CPL Stadiums Thread

LAK

4 hours ago, f26522 said:

Does anybody know the capacity of the lower bowl of IGF? 

I know they'll only be using one side at launch, but it'd be great if they could fill the entire lower bowl one day.

I don't know exactly but I think the lower bowl is close to 20,000. There were over 14,000 for the WNT Costa Rica friendly last year and there were plenty of empty seats still.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:19 PM, 1996 said:

That my friend is a nice more enclosed stadium that I prefer nicer than THF and BMO Field and I’m a TFC season ticket holder but can’t stand BMO Field probably up there as one of the worst in the MLS.

I haven't been to BMO after it expanded. It was cheap and barebones pre-expansion. I'm guessing that's still the case?

2 hours ago, Macksam said:

I haven't been to BMO after it expanded. It was cheap and barebones pre-expansion. I'm guessing that's still the case?

It’s a bit nicer I’ll admit with the other second stand over the original lower stand on the east stand so now you have a second level of stands on the east side , and of course you now have a roof over the east and west and south stands but especially the south roof is only there for looks it does not cover anything when it rains even the other two roofs don’t help too much when it rains, the back of all three stands are open as are the sides of all three stands , so when it rains it will blow in from the sides and the open backs of the stands, the stadium is still much too open for my liking , I just like more enclosed looking stadiums like the one in Winnipeg just my preference I guess.

BMO Field is a nicer facility now than in its pre-expansion days, what with the expanded capacity and canopy over the stands (excluding the south end, which of course is only covered in a superficial way). I have season tickets in the upper deck of the east stand, so I seldom have to worry about getting hit by rain. Of course, the winds just howl up there - as I type this, I'm wondering about tonight's forecast of high winds!

The concession stands are better in the east stand than in the other two stands imo. A lot of work was put into expanding that east stand, so it comes as no surprise that the infrastructure is just plain better there from what I've experienced. With that in mind, I don't use the washrooms much at BMO Field, and I haven't heard nice things about them in general.

The stadium is too wide open overall, but it has to accommodate CFL football as well, so not much can be done about this issue, at least with regard to the lack of a permanent north stand. The vast majority of seats at BMO are on the east and west sides, which I can imagine draws comparisons with THF or TD Place. It would be nice if the south end of BMO was larger, as that would mitigate the comparison. That said, at least the south end is close to the byline of the pitch, which is rare for stadiums that are used for CFL football and soccer.

8 hours ago, Keegan said:

Do they sell standing room?

They have the area in front of the old stands where some like to stand and watch a match. The stadium has been listed as a 5K capacity one which would be with standing room, and the Eddies have had attendances more than the roughly 4186 seats that are there so they have sold standing room in the past it appears.

Yes, it was Clarke. The city has a 3 phase plan whereby FCE was required to basically sell out for 3 years and then the Stadium would be expanded to the next phase, phase 2 being up to 10K at Clarke from its current listed capacity of 5K(seating and standing room) :

Edmonton : Medium Sized Stadium Strategy

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_plans/parks_recreation/medium-sized-stadium-strategy.aspx

FC%20Edmonton%20Stadium.jpg

I am pretty sure all the renderings were for a brand new build, not Clarke stadium. Those rendering look nothing like Clarke. as well, Clarke has some limitations on which directions they can expand to due to commonwealth rec centre. I am honestly not sure that Clarke can expand much more than 10k seats.

As far as building a new stadium on the city’s dollar goes, that is highly unlikely. It may be possible in the future to have a combined effort to build a soccer specific stadium. I do not believe it will happen though. Thanks to the city building roger’s place with the oilers, most people are pretty sensitive to city spending on stadiums. There really is no good location for a new stadium in Edmonton either. 

Your correct on the renderings, FCE submitted renderings of a four phase  plan for a stadium to the city.

The city came up with the proposed 3 phase plan I linked to above, first 2 phases up to 10K at Clarke and a new stadium for phase III of the city's plan at a new location with seating up to 20K.

Here's an article on FC Edmonton's 4 phase plan from 2013 :

http://www.cbc.ca/edmontonam/2013/02/11/a-soccer-stadium-in-stages/

Final Phase IV of FCE's plans :

aerial5-thumb-350x262-273057.jpg

Langford CPL team a one touch pass away from being a done deal

"Young noted the team would start the 2019 season with temporary seating on the City-owned right of way on one side of the pole. The other side would be an open area for fans.

For the inaugural season, he said they agreed they could increase seating to 5,500 seats and when the pole is moved increase seating to 8,000 or 9,000 seats."

https://www.goldstreamgazette.com/sports/langford-cpl-team-a-one-touch-pass-away-from-being-a-done-deal/

It will be a challenge to fit an extra 3800 seats at Langford without using both sides of the pole areas. Edmonton's Big Blue seating Fath added at Clarke Stadium has 1700 seats running the full sideline.

Rugby Canada had added seats in the past for games up to just over 3000 capacity with seats on one side of pole only :

Womens-Stadium.jpeg

One mild concern I have about the CPL in the stadium plans for each club. I know it's early, so maybe much of this can get fixed...

York 9 - Temporarily playing out of a tiny stadium with a track. No confirmed plans on their new stadium.

Cavalry - Could be a beautiful pitch with a unique environment, but it's outside of a city that has massive sprawl.

Halifax - Looks great, aside from the light posts in front of the stands. Being assembled and taken down before and after the season makes it hard to be a proper "home."

Valour - Beautiful stadium but WAY too big. Going to be a challenge to get an atmosphere.

Edmonton - Playing out of Clarke isn't the long term plan. Doing anything there is putting lipstick on a pig.

Hamilton - Like Winnipeg, it's oversized. And just being 2 grandstands will make it tougher to generate any proper atmosphere

Victoria - I'm actually a little excited about the potential of Westhills, but it's just potential right now. I've also heard concerns over location.

Ottawa (yes, I'm counting them in) - Best way I can describe it in right in between Winnipeg and Hamilton.

I'm aware this is all nitpicky and the problems are mostly being addressed behind the scenes. I just hope some of these clubs aren't seeing the current stadiums being the be-all-end-all.

30 minutes ago, ahuber said:

One mild concern I have about the CPL in the stadium plans for each club. I know it's early, so maybe much of this can get fixed...

York 9 - Temporarily playing out of a tiny stadium with a track. No confirmed plans on their new stadium.

Cavalry - Could be a beautiful pitch with a unique environment, but it's outside of a city that has massive sprawl.

Halifax - Looks great, aside from the light posts in front of the stands. Being assembled and taken down before and after the season makes it hard to be a proper "home."

Valour - Beautiful stadium but WAY too big. Going to be a challenge to get an atmosphere.

Edmonton - Playing out of Clarke isn't the long term plan. Doing anything there is putting lipstick on a pig.

Hamilton - Like Winnipeg, it's oversized. And just being 2 grandstands will make it tougher to generate any proper atmosphere

Victoria - I'm actually a little excited about the potential of Westhills, but it's just potential right now. I've also heard concerns over location.

Ottawa (yes, I'm counting them in) - Best way I can describe it in right in between Winnipeg and Hamilton.

I'm aware this is all nitpicky and the problems are mostly being addressed behind the scenes. I just hope some of these clubs aren't seeing the current stadiums being the be-all-end-all.

I think Winnipeg, Hamilton, and Ottawa with their big stadiums are fine. With the right limited seating configuration in the large stadiums and making sure they point the camera's at the main crowd for broadcasts it'll work. Ottawa with 6k with cameras aiming to the main crowd the few times they did it in NASL worked. When they had close to 10k for their NASL playoff game using both sides it also had a great atmoshere and broadcast quality.

Calgary Cavalry and Halifax will be quality stadium situations IMHO.

Edmonton is a concern with them needing added seating and a better setup along with that(one endzone grandstand added, a horseshoe configuration with a rebuild of the old grandstand side would be best but not likely to happen in the first year or 2).

Victoria with the hydropole hampering the first year may look poor and they might struggle to meet the 5K capacity year 1.Year 2 if they do the full 8K plan without the pole will be nice.

York 9 looks to be the least favorable with the track, will have to see how the added seating configuration is and how many butts they get in the seats.

On 6/26/2018 at 8:04 PM, CDNFootballer said:

Victoria with the hydropole hampering the first year may look poor and they might struggle to meet the 5K capacity year 1.Year 2 if they do the full 8K plan without the pole will be nice.

I have watched rugby on TSN from that stadium a number of times and it looks okay. Only real issue was that the camera level is a bit low as it seems they're shooting from opposite of the main stands. Works okay for rugby but likely a bit less for football.

Having just spent the last 4 hours watching Croatia / Russia at Spruce Meadows, I think they will have a fantastic match day experience for Cavalry games. Lots of food and drink options already there, and given that there was a big equestrian event on at the same time, I saw how organized Spruce Meadows were and how they could get thousands of cars parked without issue.

Already have a vision of pregame supporters mingling followed by a march through the plaza and into the stadium. Founders Plaza, which is maybe 200 m from the stadium could have a beer gardens where home and away supporters mingle (because this is Canada and I don't hate away supporters)...

DhhTcMQVQAA8rwW.jpg

Then home supporters march through the plaza below to the North side of the stadium...

36816495_10100802925104657_6826701228223

And into the stadium where they will end up on the South side under the giant Spruce Meadows sign.

DhhQj-pUEAAhuoM.jpg:large

On 6/30/2018 at 1:17 PM, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Bit of a dream but check out Gibraltar's planned 8K national stadium.  

No it shouldn’t be a dream this is the type of stadium teams should strive for , a proper roof covering all the stands , stands on all four sides with a proper roof on each stand, a fully enclosed looking stadium with a nice 8 to 10000 seating capacity, a stadium like that full ? Could you imagine the atmosphere,  people would definitely want to come back win or lose.

On 7/7/2018 at 3:25 PM, shermanator said:

Having just spent the last 4 hours watching Croatia / Russia at Spruce Meadows, I think they will have a fantastic match day experience for Cavalry games. Lots of food and drink options already there, and given that there was a big equestrian event on at the same time, I saw how organized Spruce Meadows were and how they could get thousands of cars parked without issue.

Already have a vision of pregame supporters mingling followed by a march through the plaza and into the stadium. Founders Plaza, which is maybe 200 m from the stadium could have a beer gardens where home and away supporters mingle (because this is Canada and I don't hate away supporters)...

DhhTcMQVQAA8rwW.jpg

Then home supporters march through the plaza below to the North side of the stadium...

36816495_10100802925104657_6826701228223

And into the stadium where they will end up on the South side under the giant Spruce Meadows sign.

DhhQj-pUEAAhuoM.jpg:large

Unless they do something really weird to this place, for me this looks likely to be the best stadium in the country.  I can't wait to see them get started on it.

45 minutes ago, admin said:

Founder's Plaza, in Calgary....   I doubt the Hamilton name is still that, but if is....... all the lolz. 

What do you mean you doubt it is still that?  Do you think backlash has made them reconsider? 

I assumed they were so far along with logo etc that they just wouldn’t care and the video seemed to hint at “founders”. 

Archived