CPL Stadiums Thread

LAK

17 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

"Barry was asked about the possibility of playing in Alumni stadium in Guelph; while he didn’t rule it out, he explained that “we want to get a stadium that actually looks like a soccer stadium. Ideally from my perspective we want a stadium that has no track, that the stands are close to the pitch so the fans can have a proper experience” (this caused a cheer to go up from the listeners)"

http://grandriverunion.ca/2017/06/04/we-marched-we-sang-we-celebrated-grus-cpl-campaign-has-officially-begun/

That is a trait that is often missed with Tim Hortons Field, the stands are pretty much as close to the field that the CFL would allow. Granted, that still leaves a large spot at the endzone for soccer play, but TD Place has the same issue and it works out fine. If we could only put the north patio on wheels.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I hit my first League 1 Ontario game this weekend, catching Windsor and TFC III.  Just a couple of thoughts I had in regards to stadiums/fields

-While it was great to see well played soccer live, the lack of supporters is definitely noticeable.  Honestly I think I might of been the only person there who didn't know somebody (friends, family, soccer community, etc)

-Having a track around the field didn't take any of the enjoyment of the game away from me

-I've always been on the football lines don't bother me train but after seeing a live game with them they are distracting.  TV it doesn't bother me so much but when the play was on the far side of the field I found my depth perception really challenged.  I remember one play wondering why there wasn't really anybody out wide and when I looked at the lines on the near side of the field there were guys out wide.  Curious to see how it would be with washed out lines (like Winnipeg on Thursday) live

Also didn't realize until after the game that Anthony Totera was there.  I had already left unfortunately when I saw on Twitter he was there.  Would of been fun to say hi.

9 minutes ago, Rheo said:

-I've always been on the football lines don't bother me train but after seeing a live game with them they are distracting.  TV it doesn't bother me so much but when the play was on the far side of the field I found my depth perception really challenged.  I remember one play wondering why there wasn't really anybody out wide and when I looked at the lines on the near side of the field there were guys out wide.  Curious to see how it would be with washed out lines (like Winnipeg on Thursday) live

Visually, that was one of the first things I noticed about the game in the Peg.  Seemed like a decent compromise, and was really easy to ignore the gridiron artifacts - at least on TV.  I have no idea how feasible this is longer term (is it rain resistant? easy to go back and forth? etc) but if it is a viable way of making a multi-use facility more sport specific on a regular basis, it certainly seems like an accommodation/concession that could be made without being too much of a big deal.

I'm not familiar with the stadiums in Winnipeg and Hamilton.  Do they use grass or artificial turf?

Paul Beirne said last week in an interview that Halifax will probably be the only stadium that uses grass.  If Winnipeg and Hamilton currently use grass in their stadiums, I wonder if they're planning to put something artificial over top during CPL games?

12 minutes ago, Red Renaissance said:

Sorry to nitpick but Stadia is the proper plural for Stadium! 

Also, curious as to whether the Halifax stadium proposal will use money from the City's piggy bank or will it be completely privately funded? What are there estimated costs?

Derek Martin, the head of SEA, has said that the stadium will be privately funded. 

3 minutes ago, Red Renaissance said:

Anyone happen to know the costs of this proposal?

They haven't made that public. They keep using Phoenix Rising FC Soccer Complex as an example but after a quick Google search I can't come up with it's costs.

As mentioned by @Rheo the city has already started on some infrastructure upgrades that I believe we're already set to be undertaken regardless of SEA's proposed stadium.

Just to throw an asterisk on things. In a few of Derek Martin's statements he said the temporary pop up stadium would be privately funded, but he seemed to imply that if the team was successful and they wanted to upgrade to a permanent stadium, that work wouldn't be entirely privately funded. I don't think I have time at the moment to dig up those old news stories to link it here.

And of course I immediately go to see if I can find it. First, for the original question about cost, here is a rough guideline on that:

https://www.localxpress.ca/local-sports/pro-soccer-league-wants-to-include-halifax-483627

"Martin said he’s reluctant to talk cost, until more details of the proposed league become known. But the intention is to build a very modest temporary stadium “in the few million dollar range” that can be expanded if needed."

And here is what I was probably thinking of about public money for a permanent stadium in the future:

https://www.localxpress.ca/local-sports/chris-cochrane-kicking-around-the-idea-of-a-halifax-pro-soccer-franchise-511179

"Q: Does this plan leave the door open should the city or province want to partner on a larger stadium after a few years?

A: “Absolutely. We, as a private entity, certainly can’t build a (major) stadium. There’s no doubt those (larger) facilities need government funding -  those permanent large size (stadiums) - to work. We’re not proposing that we are going to do that. It’s irresponsible we think to ask government to invest money in a stadium without understanding what the appetite is in the city to support it and without having a tenant. So, we are trying to find the tenant first, prove that there’s interest, and provide a great experience for the five or six thousand people or whatever it is that we are able to put into that temporary venue. Then, if that is successful and experiences plenty of support, and the citizens of Halifax are the ones saying, ‘This has worked out great, now let’s look at something more significant,’ we would be happy to be a part of the discussions.” "

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

What's Belan's role with the league?

No one has said it outright, but I suspect we an investor, probably the Saskatchewan group as he keeps mentioning which stadiums would look good in Sask

Former Goldman Sachs investment banker, ex CEO of a mining firm, former CMNT, founder and chairman of a holdings company of some kind (NovaTrek Capital), and also looks like director of a Chinese/Canadian mining company (https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/news-sources/?mid=ccnm.20160816.201608161066139001) 

Probably not Bob Young type money, but probably still a significant amount of funds he could bring to a project, especially if he's parting with a group like On Ice Management (group putting on the Regina exhibition game between Valencia and the Cosmos) or the Rush (Grenier past employers). 

Edit: News article on his company being a partner in a 40 million dollar buyout of a mining corporation... So you'd think that he's at least got the assets in the ballpark to contribute to an ownership group for a league with CPL's rumoured spending levels

https://agmetalminer.com/2017/02/08/russian-born-billionaires-group-bids-on-mountain-pass-rare-earths-mine/

8 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I really this tweet of his.

You could have 25 of these stadiums across #Canada for the same cost as 1 (yes 1!!) new NHL arena #CanPL #rugbycanada

DDBCRCrXUAAHpJz.jpg

13,500 is the listed capacity. Bump it up to 15,000 and we have a winner For the model to be used across the country. Some excess capacity is good. Clubs will grow into them.

16 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

No one has said it outright, but I suspect we an investor, probably the Saskatchewan group as he keeps mentioning which stadiums would look good in Sask

Former Goldman Sachs investment banker, ex CEO of a mining firm, former CMNT, founder and chairman of a holdings company of some kind (NovaTrek Capital), and also looks like director of a Chinese/Canadian mining company (https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/news-sources/?mid=ccnm.20160816.201608161066139001) 

Probably not Bob Young type money, but probably still a significant amount of funds he could bring to a project, especially if he's parting with a group like On Ice Management (group putting on the Regina exhibition game between Valencia and the Cosmos) or the Rush (Grenier past employers). 

Edit: News article on his company being a partner in a 40 million dollar buyout of a mining corporation... So you'd think that he's at least got the assets in the ballpark to contribute to an ownership group for a league with CPL's rumoured spending levels

https://agmetalminer.com/2017/02/08/russian-born-billionaires-group-bids-on-mountain-pass-rare-earths-mine/

5 hours ago, matty said:

BTW Don't know why Joe is only just coming up. He's name has popped up a few times

First time he's made any real public comments, and IIRC there wasn't a whole lot indicating that he was involved with the Saskatchewan group aside from following a bunch of Saskatchewan-based companies on twitter.

Up until recently he was just someone in the AGM picture, I think

3 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

First time he's made any real public comments, and IIRC there wasn't a whole lot indicating that he was involved with the Saskatchewan group aside from following a bunch of Saskatchewan-based companies on twitter.

While I agree there was nothing direct with Saskatchewan, he's an ex Canadian soccer guy with money and European links who's first twitter interaction was with Paulie B several days prior to the CPL announcement where he was snapped with several key players. I'm just shocked he never really came up.

11 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

His name was mentioned on here in other threads last month:

The name seemed familiar to me at the time for some reason and it turns out he played for UWO around the same time as Nick Bontis.

http://publish.uwo.ca/~rbasacco/allstars.html

which may explain how he initially became involved with the CPL project.

• 11 months later...

Archived