Victoria CPL

Just now, Rheo said:

Squizz tweeted about the official CPL press release, noting the team was awarded to Vancouver Island, so expect regional branding like York 9

Yeah, the T-C article talks about the market being the "Southern Island" or some such. I can't imagine many people coming down from Nanaimo and beyond, but maybe some diehards and for "big" games.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Squizz tweeted about the official CPL press release, noting the team was awarded to Vancouver Island, so expect regional branding like York 9

Rudi Schuller also tweeting the release saying it's conditional at that lease agreement and facility improvements are needed (but most likely a formality)

46 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Good to see someone is gracious while rubbing it in people's face that they were wrong and he was right

I'll rub it in too, but at the same time, I was hoping the FV group would've looked at Langley, Abbotsford or Chilliwack.  I have a friend who works at Surrey City Hall and he told me that the FV group didn't really impress City Hall with there plan, but they went along with it.  Also, with the rumoured City Halls of Surrey and Langley, not willing to pony up anything to the bid (eg. site prep, land donation, etc) doesn't surprise me that they wanted a handout.  I think this is best for BC for now, but obviously, any future CPL group wanting to play in the Valley, will have to buy there own land and built it, if they realistically want a stadium out there.

Edit:  for the record, I will attend at least a game in Victoria, to see some young Canadians play.  I use to watch ontario cpl games in rhe past live, so I’m expecting a Swangard USL type experience.

No issue with being right and being wrong.  I'll be the first to admit when I'm wrong.  Just commenting on how some people deal with it when right and ignore/dismiss it when they are wrong.  I was wrong on this, but so were a lot of people, including smart soccer people who are plugged in out there.  All part of the fun of the board

Too bad Rob Friend wasn't getting involved in the community in his own town and trying for a team or even a lower level team here in Kelowna, it's been growing faster than Victoria and while Kelowna metro is only 200k there are as many people in the valley within an hour drive of Kelowna as there are in Victoria now.

Happy for you guys in Victoria but I'm disappointed in how dead the scene is here lately and would have been nice to see our one pro product engage here instead of some other random city.

9 minutes ago, Footscray said:

Too bad Rob Friend wasn't getting involved in the community in his own town and trying for a team or even a lower level team here in Kelowna, it's been growing faster than Victoria and while Kelowna metro is only 200k there are as many people in the valley within an hour drive of Kelowna as there are in Victoria now.

Happy for you guys in Victoria but I'm disappointed in how dead the scene is here lately and would have been nice to see our one pro product engage here instead of some other random city.

It would be interesting to know what sort of poking around they might have done.  

Was it dismissed out of hand based on size, or did research determine it was a bad idea.

When you say 200K, is that the permanent population or peak waterslide?

2 minutes ago, admin said:

It would be interesting to know what sort of poking around they might have done.  

Was it dismissed out of hand based on size, or did research determine it was a bad idea.

When you say 200K, is that the permanent population or peak waterslide?

Ha, well I don't know what the summer/tourist population is but we've got 194,882 permanent residents in Kelowna metro.  Okanagan Valley within an hour including Vernon and Penticton is now 362,258.  The Apple Bowl our stadium only seats 2K and would need renovations (plus it has a track) but it's central and a good starting point. 

I do wonder how the demographic would respond but I wish guys like Rob would engage here and we could at least have a PDL team...

2 minutes ago, Footscray said:

Ha, well I don't know what the summer/tourist population is but we've got 194,882 permanent residents in Kelowna metro.  Okanagan Valley within an hour including Vernon and Penticton is now 362,258.  The Apple Bowl our stadium only seats 2K and would need renovations (plus it has a track) but it's central and a good starting point. 

I do wonder how the demographic would respond but I wish guys like Rob would engage here and we could at least have a PDL team...

I already fought the Kelowna case but the Wikipedia police are convinced it' like Spuzzum. Kelowna has both Calgary and Vancouver refugees moving to it. Would be a great market 

So if there was supposedly only one ownership group in BC all along and they were granted pro status at the CSA general meeting, then why did Clanachan say that the Victoria ownership had to be vetted when Sandor asked him a couple of weeks ago.  Something isn't making sense timeline wise to me or am I missing something?

2 minutes ago, Rheo said:

So if there was supposedly only one ownership group in BC all along and they were granted pro status at the CSA general meeting, then why did Clanachan say that the Victoria ownership had to be vetted when Sandor asked him a couple of weeks ago.  Something isn't making sense timeline wise to me or am I missing something?

According to Soefeia when responding to the question of there was always one ownership on the previous page:

42 minutes ago, Soefeia said:

No.

My guess is that Friend's group was not making any leeway with the Fraser Valley idea and so both groups combined resources and joined up together for Victoria

Two things:

1) Does anyone else find it a bit odd that the CPL issued a press release re: Victoria? There weren't any similar press releases re: York, Calgary or Halifax, only the "CPL Approved" clips on Twitter and then the actual launch events. Not to put on my tin-foil hat, but does anyone else get the sense that their actual launch was supposed to be this week and that this is them trying to make up for all the stupidity re: the hydro pole?

2) Is there no better stadium to play out of? Looking at a map, it just doesn't strike me as a very central location - though I fully admit that I've never been to Victoria and have no idea what amenities are in the area.

Also, for what it's worth, I tried typing http://portcity.canpl.ca and http://portcityfc.canpl.ca into my browser, and didn't get any "Coming Soon!" web page. Fingers crossed it'll have a better name.

2 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Two things:

1) Does anyone else find it a bit odd that the CPL issued a press release re: Victoria? There weren't any similar press releases re: York, Calgary or Halifax, only the "CPL Approved" clips on Twitter and then the actual launch events. Not to put on my tin-foil hat, but does anyone else get the sense that their actual launch was supposed to be this week and that this is them trying to make up for all the stupidity re: the hydro pole?

2) Is there no better stadium to play out of? Looking at a map, it just doesn't strike me as a very central location - though I fully admit that I've never been to Victoria and have no idea what amenities are in the area.

They were probably announced because they will not be approved at an AGM.

I'd guess that Port City was approved at the AGM but was originally supposed to be Surrey. This is kind of their way of replacing Surrey with Victoria without outright saying that Surrey didn't work out for them

Just now, m-g-williams said:

Two things:

2) Is there no better stadium to play out of? Looking at a map, it just doesn't strike me as a very central location - though I fully admit that I've never been to Victoria.

1-Nope I don't find it odd.  As the article said this isn't their launch so the press release is just the league's way of officially recognizing it.  

2-From everything that's been said, the owners wanted municipal help for a stadium and Langford ponied up with the money.  The location's been discussed here a lot, back a few pages.  

5 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Two things:

Think it's obvious now that Victoria was supposed to launch today to finish off the series of announcements for the four groups that got CSA membership last month, then they'll have Winnipeg next week and Hamilton in time for the women's international game. I suspect they probably need them on board conditionally for the marketing plan they have in place for the World Cup to work, because they need six to definitely be able to launch in 2019 and Ottawa and Edmonton are probably TBA later.

2 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Two things:

1) It does seem odd. The other groups were ready with the big "launch" event and videos. I assume they "jumped the gun" because too much was leaking?

2) The geography of Greater Victoria means that "central" is a state of mind. The area where the stadium is is growing and developing like crazy, filled with families. Anytime outside of "rush hour" the trip from downtown to the stadium takes about 30 minutes by car. It is over an hour by bus.

Wouldn't be my preferred choice, but if the municipality is willing to pitch in ( ;) ) and build a sweet little stadium, and the team puts on shuttle buses from downtown like they used to,  I think it can work. 

10 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

According to Soefeia when responding to the question of there was always one ownership on the previous page:

My guess is that Friend's group was not making any leeway with the Fraser Valley idea and so both groups combined resources and joined up together for Victoria

The timeline is confusing.  SixFive was trademarking things last year and yet need to be vetted lol.  Yeah I was thinking shotgun marriage between the ownership groups too.

Sandor article, questioning if there was a merger.  No answers yet

https://the11.ca/victoria-is-in-for-canpl-league-exploring-several-opportunities-on-lower-mainland/

CPL did say this on Fraser Valley when asked “We are in active discussions with more than a dozen communities across the country, this includes several opportunities in the Lower Mainland.  It is a key market – one that we firmly believe in.”

Archived