Victoria CPL

Found this part quite encouraging depending on how it was arrived at and by whom:

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/highlanders-say-they-can-co-exist-with-new-victoria-pro-team-1.23306714

It is estimated CPL teams will need to draw between 4,000 to 5,000 to make a go of it.

11 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm not big on the Friend group dropping in on the 11th hr and not working with the Highlanders. I' Not sure if the situation exactly but those are my initial thoughts

If that is what's happening and we'll find out soon enough if the announcement is only two weeks away, the real culprits from a Fraser Valley standpoint is whoever blocked a pop-up stadium from happening at the preferred site on municipally-owned land in Surrey.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a whole theory on that. Surrey has been desperately trying to lure a sports team to Surrey for a while. This checked all the boxes and clearcly Surrey was enthusiastic. The reason is exactly the discussions that have come out of this whole situation. Where is Surrey? Isn't that just Vancouver? Isn' it a suburb of Vancouver? How can there be a difference between Surrey and Vancouver? I think the fact that the group didn't want to call it's team "Surrey..." was the reason for the city killing the deal. It's trying to brand itself to Canada and the world and the direction of the team would have just reinforced the stigma of just being a suburb of Vancouver. My theory

4 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm not big on the Friend group dropping in on the 11th hr and not working with the Highlanders. I' Not sure if the situation exactly but those are my initial thoughts 

Friends group if the Valley isn't happening, should explore Kelowna/Okanagan. I see that area having huge upside

Too small a market for CPL. This is Canada's D1 league and to be taken seriously they need to be in the big markets like Metro Vancouver.

Maybe Kelowna can get in on CPL 2 when that comes about though.

4 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I have a whole theory on that. Surrey has been desperately trying to lure a sports team to Surrey for a while. This checked all the boxes and clearcly Surrey was enthusiastic. The reason is exactly the discussions that have come out of this whole situation. Where is Surrey? Isn't that just Vancouver? Isn' it a suburb of Vancouver? How can there be a difference between Surrey and Vancouver? I think the fact that the group didn't want to call it's team "Surrey..." was the reason for the city killing the deal. It's trying to brand itself to Canada and the world and the direction of the team would have just reinforced the stigma of just being a suburb of Vancouver. My theory

Was there some new info today about Friend's group looking at Victoria now and Surrey "killing the deal" cause it seemed to have been established from the last couple of days that there's Friend's group that will have a club in Metro Vancouver (likely Surrey) and a seperate group in Victoria.

If you you've been to the Okanagan lately you'll be surprised at the growth. It really stretches from Vernon down to Penticton. Plus the population nearly doubled in the summertime 

The Friend thing to Victoria came from a few so called sources on Twitter. And I think if you skim back thru I think there is an article or mention of the Highlanders people not being involved. I could be wrong and I hope I am

13 hours ago, shamrock said:

I'm a bit disappointed in the fact that the Highlanders will exist next to the new Victorian team, unless they'll serve as a feeder / academy team for it. Otherwise they will compete witch each other no matter which way you want to look at it. 

I agree in that I'd rather see a team come from something rather than nothing. Victoria very much has a preexisting soccer culture and that shouldn't be ignored. But still, I'd be stoked if both teams could coexist. The Highlanders are doing fantastic things, but CPL will be at another level. A PDL team and a CPL team can both serve a purpose, and I think supporters in Victoria will understand that.

11 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

A PDL team and a CPL team can both serve a purpose, and I think supporters in Victoria will understand that.

Yes they can both serve a purpose if they are working in coordination and the CanPL team owns or is subsidizing the PDL team.

What will NOT happen if both teams exist is paying spectators at PDL games. Not in the numbers needed to sustain team operations.

36 minutes ago, ted said:

Yes they can both serve a purpose if they are working in coordination and the CanPL team owns or is subsidizing the PDL team.

What will NOT happen if both teams exist is paying spectators at PDL games. Not in the numbers needed to sustain team operations.

Is there a way to respond to sections of a comment independently?

I completely agree with coordination of some sort. In what form, I don't know, but I hope everyone has plans for it. Still, I need some convincing to believe that ownership or subsidization is necessary. Why? 

My hope would be for supporter culture to grow in Victoria as a result of a CPL team. There might be a rich history of soccer, but I've never had the impression that people living in the city viewed the game as a spectator/entertainment opportunity. Even soccer fans. Changing that perception, and growing that culture could positively influence both teams.

13 hours ago, Kent said:

Anyways, that was all very off topic. I also didn't like the minor league comment from that article, but I suspect we will see more of that in the years to come. We'll have to try to thicken our skin.

A couple of people have complained about the "minor league" comment in the article but the article doesn't use that terminology. And to be further fair to the writer of that article, when it quotes potential CPL players saying that they see the CPL as a stepping stone to get to MLS combined with the projected "4000-5000" attendance figures that are quoted, you can see why the article writer would have made the comment that he did about where the CPL will be situated in the North American landscape. I don't know that there's anything to complain about here at all.

14 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Too small a market for CPL. This is Canada's D1 league and to be taken seriously they need to be in the big markets like Metro Vancouver.

Maybe Kelowna can get in on CPL 2 when that comes about though.

Kelowna w/ Penticton was being mentioned as a possible market by Paul Beirne last summer in podcast interviews. There has been no indication as far as I am aware that CanPL plans on catering to smaller markets with a second division and having Halifax and Victoria (?) at launch points to the CSA being comfortable with having relatively small metro areas in their domestic top tier that would be viewed as too small for both USL and MLS in an American context.  Think the plan is markets of 200k or larger with scope for multiple teams in the larger metro areas (hence the York rather than Toronto branding) and pro/rel only being looked at seriously if/when they reach 16 in numbers terms.

I'd assume the smaller markets to be more succesful, as they have less competition for the recreational buck. I could be wrong, but I'd guess Victoria and Halifax to draw better than say York9 and Surrey. If true, Kelowna would be a great market. 

4 minutes ago, shamrock said:

I'd assume the smaller markets to be more succesful, as they have less competition for the recreational buck. I could be wrong, but I'd guess Victoria and Halifax to draw better than say York9 and Surrey. If true, Kelowna would be a great market. 

Yes in some cases. It's the big city mentality vs small league perception that could play out. 

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Kelowna w/ Penticton was being mentioned as a possible market by Paul Beirne last summer in podcast interviews. There has been no indication as far as I am aware that CanPL plans on catering to smaller markets with a second division and having Halifax and Victoria (?) at launch points to the CSA being comfortable with having relatively small metro areas in their domestic top tier that would be viewed as too small for both USL and MLS in an American context.  Think the plan is markets of 200k or larger with scope for multiple teams in the larger metro areas (hence the York rather than Toronto branding) and pro/rel only being looked at seriously if/when they reach 16 in numbers terms.

People should remember that Friend is Kelowna raised, but opted to get in on a Lower Mainland team, which shows where he thought the odds would be best.

I find it hard to think that Port City FC would have jumped on their negotiations in the Fraser Valley and run over to Victoria just to save the bid, without even contacting Highlanders people. And that the vetting at the CSA would have allowed this. How recent would it have been, when they announced Port City a few weeks ago we assumed the deal was done.

In the sense that it would make them seem very improvised and suggest their negotiating skills are not highly honed. So still hoping for a well thought-out presentation from somewhere in the Fraser Valley.

The only alternative is this:  wondering if they started the Victoria rumours as a way of pressuring a municipality like Surrey, which would have been shrewd.

Think that last bit is the likely scenario and then if the FV municipalities still didn't budge it would have had to be Victoria if they wanted in on a 2019 launch. Don't see how the announcement would be only 2 weeks away if it isn't "Port City" because why would the CSA neglect to give the Victoria group membership two weekends ago along with the other four if they were that close to being ready?

29 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Did the PCFC group force Josh Simpson to make those comments as part of this ruse to create rumours?

PCFC. 

My only prediction for this league is that team will have the worst sense of humor. 

7 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I think the reality is the CSL as a D1 league needs to be in the big markets to succeed and Beirne knows that in the end.

Kelowna at 150k compared to Halifax and Victoria at the 400K range just isn't a realistic market for CPL IMHO.

3 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Kelowna at 150k compared to Halifax and Victoria at the 400K range just isn't a realistic market for CPL IMHO.

Wikipedia doesn' always tell the whole story. Vernon is 45 min North..  Penticton.. 45min South and other communities in the general area including Kamloops that could also draw people in from time to time. The Okanagan is a playground for all of Western Canada and I'm not BSin, the population nearly doubles in the summer time. A 7000 seat stadium would probably sell out with just away support for Calgary, Edmonton, Sask. I'm sure some prairie people would give me an Ahmen on that one

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

A 7000 seat stadium would probably sell out with just away support for Calgary, Edmonton, Sask. I'm sure some prairie people would give me an Ahmen on that one

I don't now about an "Ahmen" but I believe that the "market" for a live sporting event is anyone who can get to the stadium from their home in about an hour. I would venture that could be stretched a little in areas under-served by pro sports.

Archived