Victoria CPL

I would assume that the 100 figure represents USL level and above players who are not under contact past December, 2018. If you look out to June & December 2019, I would think there would be more available. It's going to be fascinating to see these signings, who succeeds and who fails. We're bound to discover some stars, foreign and domestic, and have a few duds. Depending on the number of new clubs, I would think we'll have a much higher quality product by April, 2020.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I would assume that the 100 figure represents USL level and above players who are not under contact past December, 2018. If you look out to June & December 2019, I would think there would be more available. It's going to be fascinating to see these signings, who succeeds and who fails. We're bound to discover some stars, foreign and domestic, and have a few duds. Depending on the number of new clubs, I would think we'll have a much higher quality product by April, 2020.

I think you probably have a wider pool of quality players than 100, but maybe I'm wrong. Just guys making a bare minimum wage abroad in lower divisions gives you maybe 30-50. Guys currently playing in USL or NASL in North America, wanting to be in Canada. Guys who may be older, experienced as pros, but have semi-retired or fallen back into regional leagues or lower though their professional knowledge and potential is higher. 

There are guys coming out of NCAA, like Friend himself did, who do not have pro experience but could fill a roster, same as what happens at other N American clubs. Maybe a couple a team each year? Then we cannot ignore the best of the Canadian university soccer grads. There are guys in PDL teams that might be able to take a step up, in fact now I think that PDL is going to be even more intense as a potential feeder to CPL, in spite of that terribly short season. 

Then we have to remember that there are other nationalities nearby, not just Americans, in the university systems. I'd prefer a kid who was Austrian but had spent time in Canada playing U Sports  (new CIS branding) at York Lions, than a pure import from the States.

I think I ended up arguing the opposite of what I started to do: 100 seems pretty close.

45 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I don't really want any Americans or anyone from CONCACAF, other than maybe a few guys from the minnows like a modern day Wesley Charles or something. I fully agree, there are loads of Europeans in NCAA, CIS, and in between, who should be targets for the import spots.

I think having Americans is inevitable, C, we have quite a few on PDL teams or with past experience, there are a lot out there looking for teams, they'll accept relatively low salary terms if they are not too far from home. And the 100 Canucks figure suggests we will need to find another 100 players somewhere. 

I'll bet our league will have 20% Americans.

Related to this, I was looking at the line-up of current Canadian University champ, Cape Breton, and the majority of those guys are from the UK. I think I saw three names only from Nova Scotia. 

8 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

The vast majority of USL players are not even on yearly contracts, on 7-8 month single year deals mostly, so Canadian players in that league will be readily available for the CPL.

Think they should go for quality rather than quantity on imports. A strong trio of signings at centre back, central midfielder and centre forward can solidify the spine of a team in a big way. There's no need to bring in lots of Dan Gargan type players as they are not going to improve the entertainment product significantly.

On 6/8/2018 at 12:42 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think having Americans is inevitable, C, we have quite a few on PDL teams or with past experience, there are a lot out there looking for teams, they'll accept relatively low salary terms if they are not too far from home. And the 100 Canucks figure suggests we will need to find another 100 players somewhere. 

I'll bet our league will have 20% Americans.

Related to this, I was looking at the line-up of current Canadian University champ, Cape Breton, and the majority of those guys are from the UK. I think I saw three names only from Nova Scotia. 

We need to slap a 100% tariff on American players

1 hour ago, masster said:

Is that the Victoria CPL part owner hanging out with Victor in Russia?

Edit: bottom left hand corner of the picture holding the flag.

Dfg0cmRWkAERWQq.jpg

That does indeed look like Josh Simpson to me.

6 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Stupid question I’m sure but what is a FIFA Legend invite mean?

He got a letter from FIFA saying he was selected for the CONCACAF Legends team and inviting him to be part of the opening stuff in Moscow. 

I have no idea what the criteria is...I was hoping to see more of the videos of the “mini games” on here. 

3 hours ago, Rheo said:

Simpson talking about being in Russia for the announcement and Highlanders comment on it

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/getting-2026-world-cup-a-game-changer-for-canada-1.23335441

2.5 spots for hosts? So a mini tournament and the loser plays New Zealand or?  Just dumb... we’re hosting your event ffs they think some fringe team is going to draw more interest than a host?

28 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Stadium concerns, and now a campaign against the club from local supporters. Not a good start. I need some good news!

Not sure if it’s bad news. More curious because the reports of the ownership and CPL meeting supporters sounded encouraging. @tedcan you shed some light?

5 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Not sure if it’s bad news.

Really? That's a very condemning statement IMO. He literally says that they won't support the club as it currently stands. Which is fair, I guess. They are supporters of another club. I can't see it being anything but damaging to the Victoria CPL team though.

14 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Really? That's a very condemning statement IMO. He literally says that they won't support the club as it currently stands. Which is fair, I guess. They are supporters of another club. I can't see it being anything but damaging to the Victoria CPL team though.

Ok so one person on YouTube isn’t happy but  people on this board who met with the owners and the CPL folks walked away impressed. Not saying he/they don’t have an issue but to rush and say there’s a big issue this is foolish in my opinion without all the facts. Canada soccer fandom is full of people jumping to judgement without all the facts. Take a deep breath and wait to get all the info before calling this a disaster 

5 hours ago, Rheo said:

Ok so one person on YouTube isn’t happy but  people on this board who met with the owners and the CPL folks walked away impressed. Not saying he/they don’t have an issue but to rush and say there’s a big issue this is foolish in my opinion without all the facts. Canada soccer fandom is full of people jumping to judgement without all the facts. Take a deep breath and wait to get all the info before calling this a disaster 

You realize that the 'one person on YouTube' is the same Ted that posts on this board...right?

To be fair, some of us had some issues with things that were said at a focus group we were invited to by the Victoria CPL ownership group. When we combined that with some of the things we were told by the Highlanders ownership, we became concerned that too many players in Victoria were working at cross purposes when it comes to pro soccer. I know what I just said was vague (intentionally so) but we hope to put out more videos in the next few days that should fill in the gaps. I think there's far more going on than most people realize, and some of it isn't great. 

4 hours ago, masster said:

You realize that the 'one person on YouTube' is the same Ted that posts on this board...right?

The same person giving people shit on the board for not being up to par as supporters, coming out of meetings with Victoria CPL owners smiling and glowing, is putting time-bombs underneath the whole endeavour?

HOpe that is not true. In any case, a frigging change.org petition, which could not possibly garner interest from outsiders looking in, just shows they don't understand how things work. They are being parochial, not establishing themselves as a valid stakeholder.

That said, I have serious suspicions about the Rob Friend group, because he is the one guy who not only did not pull off his original project, but seems to have failed when he had half a dozen municipalities to work with, he really had a wide set of options. And he jumped ship on the core concept, a Greater Vancouver alternative, as soon as he could not do what he had CPL backing to do. And CPL let him, which I think was a mistake: he should have been restricted to his original target area. Then a Victoria bid would have emerged from the local core, but that is the CPL's fault for not doing proper vetting.

It is also true that the quickness of the shift left no time for a proper process of garnering support from Victoria region and even southern Vancouver Island clubs. The club support at York9 should be the model (and of course is what will compensate, and in a big way, the relative lack of signed up supporters they have right now).

Basically the mayor of Langford had the vision to poach the Fraser Valley project to raise the profile of their stadium investment. So I do not trust what Friend has to bring to the table, sorry to say, he is improvising  and is coming of a failure, and the CPL is letting him persist.

But that has nothing to do with whether and how a CPL bid in Victoria should be supported by fans.

Archived