Victoria CPL

"...we cannot and will not support a bid imposed on us by outsiders..."

"...we demand..."

I think this sort of language is ridiculous, guys, get a grip.

Who the hell are you calling outsiders? Do you all have your Victoria passports ready? Are you going to strip search any football fans coming from the mainland, separate the children from the adults? 

I mean, Victoria is already one of the whitest most WASP cities in Canada, and they are using his sort of xenophobic terminology?

Edit: I say this because the logic has to go both ways: if the Lake Side Buoys think they can establish a legitimate position, which they probably have, by discrediting the CPL bid's lack of connection and cooperation with existing soccer culture in Victoria....why couldn't the CPL bid discredit the Highlander supporters, on the basis of their arrogant, demanding, xenophobic (rejection of outsiders) language? 

All the CPL bid has to do now is take that video, highlight the same things I see, and put the parochial Lake Side Buoys on the margen of the process forever, using it as leverage when working in conciliatory fashion with other clubs and groups.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Jason Armond said:

To be fair, some of us had some issues with things that were said at a focus group we were invited to by the Victoria CPL ownership group. When we combined that with some of the things we were told by the Highlanders ownership, we became concerned that too many players in Victoria were working at cross purposes when it comes to pro soccer. I know what I just said was vague (intentionally so) but we hope to put out more videos in the next few days that should fill in the gaps. I think there's far more going on than most people realize, and some of it isn't great. 

I don’t recall the Highlanders ownership group having any desire to move into CanPL. The notion that they should now be invited to the table seems, well, an over reach. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

...I mean, Victoria is already one of the whitest most WASP cities in Canada, and they are using his sort of xenophobic terminology?

I wonder what Mad Cap Mac is up to these days? Been a while since we've had an over-the-top rant about the supposed evils of ethnic clubs on here and Victoria always seemed to be the epicentre for that. Overall, I would put it down to angst over losing the close level of involvement that they had with the Highlanders and probably finding out that Rob Friend and co have no plans to do something similar with them. If so, it's a storm in a teacup that will soon be forgotten about.

7 hours ago, masster said:

You realize that the 'one person on YouTube' is the same Ted that posts on this board...right?

Didn’t at the time, someone pointed it out last night to me in the dischord. As I said more curious because it was generally good vibes on here from the reports after the initial meeting 

How many people do the Lake Side Buoys actually represent?

That video statement couldn't possibly come off more wanky. It's almost like it's a spoof. Imposed by outsiders? One of the main people involved with the group is the biggest local soccer export since Bruce Wilson, FFS!

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I wonder what Mad Cap Mac is up to these days? Been a while since we've had an over-the-top rant about the supposed evils of ethnic clubs on here and Victoria always seemed to be the epicentre for that. Overall, I would put it down to angst over losing the close level of involvement that they had with the Highlanders and probably finding out that Rob Friend and co have no plans to do something similar with them. If so, it's a storm in a teacup that will soon be forgotten about.

When I go to Victoria I just think it is funny, I laugh about it as an ethnological curiosity. A lot of the island is like that, I went to a summer music festival in Duncan and they had a The Band tribute band playing, and it was all these old alternative hippy types being very wise in their alternative mode, and 99% were white, there was like one local native and a Chinese lady in a crowd of 400. It is like going to a museum. Or, let's be honest: to Trump's heartland. Then they bitch about how Vancouver has gone down the hole and is not what it used to be, and you just read between the lines.

If you want to see one of these  time machines, go to the James Bay Inn,  it is like you are in period play about segregated colonial British North America, the food fits the bill too.

Victoria soccer supporters talking about "outsiders" and trying to get a fair hearing--well it is not going to wash for me, ever.

23 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

How many people do the Lake Side Buoys actually represent?

That video statement couldn't possibly come off more wanky. It's almost like it's a spoof. Imposed by outsiders? One of the main people involved with the group is the biggest local soccer export since Bruce Wilson, FFS!

They have a petition on change.org, posted three days ago, that has been signed by 5 people, plus the one who started it. Pretty well sums things up. 

But to be clear: any Victoria CPL has to deal properly with Highlanders, they are an asset. As is the entire existing soccer community. But not to the point of having to put up with that garbage from them.

The problem is that the Victoria Highlanders have clearly been building up to taking a run at a CanPL team, and now we have a group for which Victoria is not a Plan A or even B, but a D or E drop in.  That is why the term "outsiders" was used.  

The two parties do not seem to be speaking, which is very concerning.  The worry is that a CanPL team will be the end of the Highlanders and if the CanPL team doesn't work out, we'll be left with nothing.  The best chance for success for the team is if everyone works together.  The Highlanders ownership represent a large part of the soccer and business community in town and in my opinion, they need to be on board to maximise the chance of success for the new team.

16 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Stadium concerns, and now a campaign against the club from local supporters. Not a good start. I need some good news!

This is in no way a campaign AGAINST the YYJ4CANPL group.

It is a campaign to get them to do the smart business move and work with the local club that already exists and knows the local busniess community.

3 hours ago, Gordon said:

I don’t recall the Highlanders ownership group having any desire to move into CanPL. The notion that they should now be invited to the table seems, well, an over reach. 

The Highlanders told the CanPL that they were not ready to move for 2019. They were consolidating a new ownership group and trying to rebuild the club after a couple of years of turmoil.

The league (the "outsiders" in this conversation), then turned around and either encouraged or approved the group that was looking at the Lower Mainland to shift to Victoria.

The ideal solution would have been for the this new YYJ4CanPL group to come in with the money they wanted to invest, and sit down with the Highlanders for some meetings.

For some reason, as yet unspoken to us directly that did not happen. We think it should.

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They have a petition on change.org, posted three days ago, that has been signed by 5 people, plus the one who started it. Pretty well sums things up. 

To be fair, the petition was created a few days ago, but not publicised until last night.  I haven't even got around to signing it yet.

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

When I go to Victoria I just think it is funny, I laugh about it as an ethnological curiosity. A lot of the island is like that, I went to a summer music festival in Duncan and they had a The Band tribute band playing, and it was all these old alternative hippy types being very wise in their alternative mode, and 99% were white, there was like one local native and a Chinese lady in a crowd of 400. It is like going to a museum. Or, let's be honest: to Trump's heartland. Then they bitch about how Vancouver has gone down the hole and is not what it used to be, and you just read between the lines.

If you want to see one of these  time machines, go to the James Bay Inn,  it is like you are in period play about segregated colonial British North America, the food fits the bill too.

Victoria soccer supporters talking about "outsiders" and trying to get a fair hearing--well it is not going to wash for me, ever.

Oh seriously. Don't try to turn this into a race thing. I really don't think it is. The entire ownership group of the CPL bid is as wasp as the rest of the Island. Besides, the fact that the Island is very white in demographic is in no way a result of racism.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

"...we cannot and will not support a bid imposed on us by outsiders..."

"...we demand..."

I think this sort of language is ridiculous, guys, get a grip.

Who the hell are you calling outsiders? Do you all have your Victoria passports ready? Are you going to strip search any football fans coming from the mainland, separate the children from the adults? 

Apparently Josh Simpson has been stripped of his Victoria passport.

That video is pretty symbolic in terms of why Canadian soccer has had so much trouble over the years. An example of "working together" apparently being to make demands and issue de facto ultimatums.

4 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

That video is pretty symbolic in terms of why Canadian soccer has had so much trouble over the years. An example of "working together" apparently being to make demands and issue de facto ultimatums.

How else were we supposed to get the attention of those who can make a change? How else are we supposed to get the attention of media and the casual supporters?

Re: Josh we love him and looking forward to his return from Zurich to his hometown this summer after 15 years away.

I would just like to throw out there that this campaign isn't about us, the Lake Side Buoys, or a reaction to us feeling marginalized. In fact, both groups want us at their games. We just want them to work with each other so that everyone can succeed. There's no reason (beyond, maybe, egos) that both the Highlanders and the CPL group can't work together. Personally, I feel like we might be wasting our time and tilting at windmills, but we all felt we had to do something. And this is only the start of the campaign. Grassroots actions planned at the Highlanders game this afternoon. So, we'll see what happens.

7 hours ago, ted said:

How else were we supposed to get the attention of those who can make a change?

Find a way that doesn't cut the legs out from underneath the best thing to happen to football in this city in a long time.

6 minutes ago, Jason Armond said:

I would just like to throw out there that this campaign isn't about us, the Lake Side Buoys, or a reaction to us feeling marginalized. In fact, both groups want us at their games. We just want them to work with each other so that everyone can succeed. There's no reason (beyond, maybe, egos) that both the Highlanders and the CPL group can't work together. Personally, I feel like we might be wasting our time and tilting at windmills, but we all felt we had to do something. And this is only the start of the campaign. Grassroots actions planned at the Highlanders game this afternoon. So, we'll see what happens.

You honestly believe you had no other way to get your point across except by talking about not accepting outsiders, Jason. Outsiders who happen to be Canadians even. Is that the way to constructively be part of a Canadian league?

I think it would be better for Victoria to move forward without that kind of mentality.

Are you going to be burning crosses as part of the grassroots actions?

21 minutes ago, ted said:

...The league (the "outsiders" in this conversation), then turned around and either encouraged or approved the group that was looking at the Lower Mainland to shift to Victoria...

Bear in mind that without doing that there may have been no way for CanPL to reach 8 in time for a 2019 launch. Are you sure it really was only the "outsiders" that encouraged this? The municipality of Langford appeared to be trying very hard to entice CanPL when they let it be known earlier this year that they had the budget already set aside to expand the Westhills stadium to 8000 seats.

32 minutes ago, ted said:

The Highlanders told the CanPL that they were not ready to move for 2019. They were consolidating a new ownership group and trying to rebuild the club after a couple of years of turmoil.

The league (the "outsiders" in this conversation), then turned around and either encouraged or approved the group that was looking at the Lower Mainland to shift to Victoria.

The ideal solution would have been for the this new YYJ4CanPL group to come in with the money they wanted to invest, and sit down with the Highlanders for some meetings.

For some reason, as yet unspoken to us directly that did not happen. We think it should.

It's a reasonable wish, and it's good to know the Highlanders group had those ambitions. To be honest, I didn't think they had the funds to back a CPL group. It would truly be a shame if their ambitions were quashed as a result of a new team coming in. They've done a lot for soccer in Victoria, and deserve better. I agree that it would be better if everyone worked together, but I don't understand what you expect to happen. Do you want the CPL group to bankroll the Highlanders bid? That's asking a bit much.

8 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

It's a reasonable wish, and it's good to know the Highlanders group had those ambitions. To be honest, I didn't think they had the funds to back a CPL group. It would truly be a shame if their ambitions were quashed as a result of a new team coming in. They've done a lot for soccer in Victoria, and deserve better. I agree that it would be better if everyone worked together, but I don't understand what you expect to happen. Do you want the CPL group to bankroll the Highlanders bid? That's asking a bit much.

Some level of cooperation is desirable.   The Highlanders have a lot of local knowledge and goodwill as well as the support of local business.  If there is ill will between the two groups, I think that the chances of success for the team are greatly reduced.

1 minute ago, CrownJules said:

Some level of cooperation is desirable.   The Highlanders have a lot of local knowledge and goodwill as well as the support of local business.  If there is ill will between the two groups, I think that the chances of success for the team are greatly reduced.

I completely agree

Archived