Victoria CPL

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/30/2018 at 9:37 AM, LAK said:

Two weeks ago we had no idea there was another investor group looking to start something in Victoria. Look how far and how much behind the scenes work they did before we knew anything. Now, we know there are two groups...one of which is already has membership in the league. I still expect there to be an announcement from Port City fairly soon. No one ever said that there would be one announcement at precisely one week intervals. It was always about one a week after the first announcement.

Oh I nailed it! We know there are two groups :)

I guess this just goes to show that as soon as we hear a tiny nugget of a news item, wild speculation is the best course of action. Who knew?

On 6/1/2018 at 1:57 PM, masster said:

Be patient.

Can't help myself but ask - do you think or have insight that something is on the horizon for the interior?  Or you just think it will eventually happen if it keeps growing like crazy here?

57 minutes ago, Footscray said:

Can't help myself but ask - do you think or have insight that something is on the horizon for the interior?  Or you just think it will eventually happen if it keeps growing like crazy here?

masster and I are starting our own winery.  If you buy enough of it, we will start a team. 

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

In the Cowichan Valley how about? That'd give us a nice Malahat rivalry.

I do like the idea of a team being owned by a brewery. 

A consumable product you can say directly to your supporters......

Buy more of this, and we spend more money on the team. 

6 hours ago, Footscray said:

I don't have any specific dates or anything, but if the league is successful, the plan is to get there eventually.

13 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

What do the locals think of the location? Will Highlanders fans support this team?

After meeting with Josh and Rob and Dean this afternoon I can say looks like a big, fat yes. They had already considered the other options (Josh in particular said he'd love to be back at RAP where he played for Victoria United) and they are aware of the challenges and had already started working on options to get fans to the games.

The passion for this project from the two ex-Canada players was palpable. They spoke of developing players for the national team, providing playing spots for 18 year-old Canadians like they were. I was most impressed when Rob spoke about winning the Canadian Championship and competing in the Champions League.

The only sad note was the lack of cooperation (up until now) with the Highlanders. They did talk about working with them, but they are starting something new. A fresh start without "baggage" is how I would describe their thinking.

I'm looking forward to what the "identity team" comes up with. I will say that neither "Port City" nor "BCFC" came up the whole time we were talking.

4 minutes ago, ted said:

The passion for the game and the respect for the community was impressive and it really won us all over I think.

So good to hear. Was there any talk of this was a merger of groups? If you can’t say I understand just the whole timeline thing really bugs me lol

11 hours ago, Rheo said:

So good to hear. Was there any talk of this was a merger of groups? If you can’t say I understand just the whole timeline thing really bugs me lol

Nope. They talked not at all about that and we didn't really care. Everyone was focused on where they want to go from here.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Could you tell us who was at this meeting, Ted. Fans, other supporters? What kind of numbers and representation? Thanks

There were about a dozen fans, the bulk being Lake Side Buoys. I believe I heard Peter or Roy say this was the second of three meetings yesterday where they were talking about the team identity. No idea who the other meetings were with.

12 hours ago, ted said:

...I'm looking forward to what the "identity team" comes up with. I will say that neither "Port City" nor "BCFC" came up the whole time we were talking.

Which points very strongly to another location having been in mind when they came up with those, but that's not exactly a secret at this point. They could do a lot worse than Victoria United.

1 hour ago, ted said:

Nope. They talked not at all about that and we didn't really care. Everyone was focused on where they want to go from here.

There were about a dozen fans, the bulk being Lake Side Buoys. I believe I heard Peter or Roy say this was the second of three meetings yesterday where they were talking about the team identity. No idea who the other meetings were with.

Could you provide any hints on identity?

All things being equal, I think a team in Victoria for the league launch is best case scenario. Good luck to everyone in Victoria. I look forward to a great rivalry with the Whitecaps and away dates in Voyageurs Cup. 

You guys just need to find your way in to the Cascadia Cup somehow

16 hours ago, ted said:

The passion for the game and the respect for the community was impressive and it really won us all over I think.

I don't want to tell tales out of school, so to speak, but I have known Rob for a number of years and he is committed and passionate about developing young players here in Canada. He coaches both boys and girls teams in his community and just recently opened an indoor soccer training centre in North Vancouver with an eye to youth development, which has been a goal of his for several years. 

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

You guys just need to find your way in to the Cascadia Cup somehow

it would be hilarious if Victoria took it from Van and then never had a chance to lose it to portland or seattle so just held on to it until Van beat them again.

Not sure portland and seattle would see it that way though

1 hour ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

it would be hilarious if Victoria took it from Van and then never had a chance to lose it to portland or seattle so just held on to it until Van beat them again.

Not sure portland and seattle would see it that way though

Cascadia was started by fan groups of Portland, Seattle and Vancouver.  If Victoria wants in, gotta get approval from all 3 supporter groups and contribute financially to it too.  

The themes they presented to us for feedback we're fairly broad and most were decent representations of Victoria. Some of the themes were downtown landmarks, Garden city, the island/Pacific, the Navy, Vancouver Island wilderness, lighthouses, castles, etc.

Along with those story themes, we talked colours that complemented them, with light blue and purple colours having the most support.

As an aside, I'd like something like Fort Victoria FC, or something like that. Either way, yes, the Lake Side Buoys will be keeping our name and identity as we support the new team.

This is really exciting for many of us from the area. It also lines up well as my last year teaching in Oman ends next May and I will be back in time. I will definitely buy season tickets (even if I go in on a few seats with a friend).

There are so many good potential names. Victoria United certainly is better than Port City FC or BCFC. I think using Vancouver Island branding is the best approach because it is unlikely there will ever be a second island team (Nanaimo would certainly start in a second division, if ever). I grew up in the Cowichan Valley, but have lived most of my adult life in Victoria. However, I know plenty of people who would make the drive to attend games, especially in Langford. Even if this only accounts for 50 to 500 people/G that is not bad. Game time/day will be a big factor.

They should use the emblem on the old Vancouver Island flag in some way.

220px-Flag_of_Vancouver_Island.svg.png

Archived