Victoria CPL

This sounds similar to the CFL where a limit of $2.7 million on football ops will come into effect in 2019. 

CFL analysis showed there is a wide difference in the amount teams spent on ops and it was growing faster than revenues. They want to end the arms race where coaches are hired for new positions and other teams feel need to match it. 

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, red card said:

This sounds similar to the CFL where a limit of $2.7 million on football ops will come into effect in 2019. 

CFL analysis showed there is a wide difference in the amount teams spent on ops and it was growing faster than revenues. They want to end the arms race where coaches are hired for new positions and other teams feel need to match it. 

I just don’t see why that’s anything you’d ever want to limit if the goal is to develop players?  Seems crazy.. not to mention it’ll take away from players we need to make this league work.  Is it just going to be a carousel or Canadian tweener coaches like Gale, Paulus etc. What good is that?

Sure limit the player salaries but let the coaches make whatever a team deems their value to be.  It’s all positive for all stakeholders.  I wouldn’t care if a rival paid more for a manager.. you only need one and there are tens of thousands.. find one!!! 

10 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I don't know if it's cap related, but I been encouraged that the first coaches named weren't Colin Miller, Nick Dasovic, Mark Watson and Frank Yallop. It's time for new blood.

I would have liked to see Dasovic to be honest. He never got a fair shot at TFC and I can remember him having the U23s playing fairly well

14 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I don't know if it's cap related, but I been encouraged that the first coaches named weren't Colin Miller, Nick Dasovic, Mark Watson and Frank Yallop. It's time for new blood.

I think Colin Miller just signed on as technical director for North Shore Girls Soccer Club. I had the email, but I deleted it and now I am unsure if I was imagining it as the announcement is not on the NSGSC website. Anyway, I agree that it is time for new blood, although I wouldn't lump Daso in with those others. 

2 hours ago, ted said:

I'd be happy with either Dante Zanatta or Riley O'Neil and neither one would break the bank nor be a player-coach. ;)

I don't know anything about Dante Zanatta. I assume he's Dario's father (or related in some other way). 

What is it about him that you think would lead to success?

36 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

I don't know anything about Dante Zanatta. I assume he's Dario's father (or related in some other way). 

What is it about him that you think would lead to success?

I watched him transition from a player to a coach with Victoria United waaaaay back when. I liked the way the team played under his control and he always seemed to me to have a good rapport with players. Passionate and thoughtful was how he came across to me as a fan and as a member of the board of directors at the time.

I assume his experience as a coach since then and especially his current gig have given him the kind of experience guiding young players that will be important on a CanPL team.

While in Victoria Dante coached the Gorge men's team to the Nationals and Victoria United to the treble in the coast league his team always played attacking soccer, left to go work with BC Soccer and went up to UBC O to start up that program

Archived