Copa America 2020

Watchmen

12 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Wow the USSF made 46 million from the last tournament. I wonder if any other federation saw some of that?

Yeah, I wonder the same things about the Gold Cup. USA hosts it every time, and I am tempted to believe they have gotten rich off of it, and don't let all that much spill over to the other countries. I'm curious what the divide is like.

• 1 month later...

So read in the Peruvian newspapers that there will be (2) Copa Americas, 2019 and 2020.  2019 could be the last South American host country and it'll be 16 teams, 10 South American, 3-4 European guest countries if they accept (rumoured Portugal, Spain, France and Italy) and CONCACAF countries and then 2020 moving forward will see the combined Copa America with the 10 South American countries and 6 CONCACAF countries and US hosting it.  The Copa Centenario made both CONMEBOL and CONCACAF alot of money so they're eager to get a US host again.

Spain declined an invitation to play back in 2011 due to the calendar.  I suspect that will prevent them or any European team joining once again.  In June of 2019 there is scheduled Euro 2020 qualifying in addition to the UEFA Nations League Final 4 competition.  Even if they schedule the Copa around it that would be a grueling summer. 

I predict they will chase the Euro teams but in end will settle for more CONCACAF teams and whichever Asian country offers the most lucrative television and sponsorship deals (Japan, China etc.).

Raise your hand if you're wondering whether Vic can weasel our boys in there for 2019...........

tumblr_mbhsx2bxMQ1ror6v2.gif

• 3 months later...

CONCACAF, CONMEBOL continuing joint Copa America talks - Montagliani

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- CONCACAF president Victor Montgliani said talks are "continuing" with CONMEBOL to hold another joint Copa America tournament in North America.

In 2016, the two confederations joined forces to put on the Copa America Centenario in honor of CONMEBOL's 100th anniversary. The tournament was a clear success both in the stands and on the field. The Copa's average attendance of over 46,000 was more than enough to satisfy tournament organizers.

The television ratings on Univision and Fox also spoke to the appetite for the tournament as the semifinal between the U.S. and Argentina was the most watched men's match in the history of FS1.

Speaking to reporters ahead of Wednesday's Gold Cup final, Montagliani said: "We've are continuing our discussions with our friends in CONMEBOL to bring back a Copa America.

"It won't be a Centenario type, that was a one-off. It will be a Copa America, a joint venture between two confederations."

He added: "We saw the success it had on the field and off the field last year, and we think it's one of the things I get stopped the most by fans. When are we going to have that back?

"I think it behooves both confederations, CONMEBOL and CONCACAF, to do everything we can to bring back an event of such a nature because I think the fans are clamoring for it."

http://www.espnfc.com/copa-america/story/3166043/joint-copa-america-talks-with-concacaf-are-continuing-victor-montagliani

16 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Possibly the biggest let down of the floro era was not qualifying in 2016.. hell, not even trying.  

I hope Zambrano qualifies us to 2019 first.  That one will ne the last Copa in South America, if CONMEBOL and CONCACAF find a way to split the revenues and make Copa 2020 the defacto Copa America.  I think Zambrano will pump the players and not make them feel dejected like Floro did.

2 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

I hope Zambrano qualifies us to 2019 first.  That one will ne the last Copa in South America, if CONMEBOL and CONCACAF find a way to split the revenues and make Copa 2020 the defacto Copa America.  I think Zambrano will pump the players and not make them feel dejected like Floro did.

2019? I don't believe we can qualify for that one, best we could hope for would be an invite 

On 3/8/2017 at 9:50 PM, Stryker911 said:

Wow the USSF made 46 million from the last tournament. I wonder if any other federation saw some of that?

On 3/9/2017 at 10:46 AM, Kent said:

Yeah, I wonder the same things about the Gold Cup. USA hosts it every time, and I am tempted to believe they have gotten rich off of it, and don't let all that much spill over to the other countries. I'm curious what the divide is like.

The money isn't widely publicized for the Gold Cup or the Copa America, but for the 2014 World Cup there was a profit of $2.1 billion. $570 million of that money was given to Brazil (though only $100 million was given to the federation as the rest was needed for infrastructure costs). Now obviously we are dealing with very different numbers when talking about the Gold Cup and Centenario, but the percentages seem to mostly line up.

The Centenario made around $400 million in profit. The US ended up with around $100 million for hosting, of which $46 million was put straight into the US Soccer piggy bank (a higher percentage than Brazil's World Cup profit due to the USA's superior infrastructure). But again, the host got around 1/4th of the total profit.

The Gold Cup is a little more tricky, but since US Soccer has to publish their financial records as a US non-profit, I've found that the US generally makes $35-$40 million from the men's national team activities in odd numbered years (just from games, not sponsorships, TV deals or any of that). The 2015 Gold Cup was estimated at around $100 million in profit so, taking into account the other games the US plays in those years, a $20-$25 million dollar take seems a reasonable guess at what the US gets from the Gold Cup. Once again assume half was spent on operations, so $10-$12 million directly into the US Soccer rainy day fund.

Assuming around a fourth of the profit from the Centenario and Gold Cup is dispersed among the confederation nations as it is at the World Cup, and again assuming that money is dispersed evenly (which I don't think it is), we end up with:

2015 Gold Cup- US gets ~$12.5 million, Canada gets ~$610k before prize money.

Copa America Centenario- US gets ~$48 million, Canada gets ~$2 million before prize money.

Additional reasons why my math is probably wrong:

1) Anything involving FIFA and money is shady.

2) US Soccer can spend additional tournament money on costs between when they get it and when they need to report their surplus in March. 

3) I'm bad at math.

I'd be interested to see if they invite the European heavyweights considering they usually like to invite average teams so it is more likekly a comnebol team wins it

54 minutes ago, canta15 said:

I'd be interested to see if they invite the European heavyweights considering they usually like to invite average teams so it is more likekly a comnebol team wins it

Here's more from that Globo report:

Plan A for the organization is to have two squads from CONCACAF, two from UEFA and two from Asia.The preference is for Mexico and USA, Portugal and Spain, Japan and China.  

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/report-usa-mexico-and-two-euro-giants-could-play-in-2019-copa-america-in-brazil/

12 hours ago, Keegan said:

Possibly the biggest let down of the floro era was not qualifying in 2016.. hell, not even trying.  

It was definitely disappointing to not qualify for the Centenario, but of course he tried. Goal line clearance starting at about 2:15 of this video.

If that save isn't made, we are in. If Larin finishes that break against El Salvador, we are in. We didn't make it by the slimmest of margins.

4 minutes ago, DannyFromToronto23 said:

i hate the idea of concacaf nations in copa america 

I hate the idea of guests being in the Copa America all together

Archived