CPL Stadium Thread

32 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

...Hey my fellow USec BBTB,...

It was RPB I was involved with, but that's going back almost a decade now. Beyond that my point was mainly that Toronto (plus Vancouver and Montreal) isn't the main focus of what is happening at the moment with CPL judging by what has been said over the last few weeks and it's how to make pro soccer work in markets like Halifax, Kitchener-Waterloo, Saskatoon and the Fraser Valley that is currently setting the agenda. If you are in a smaller city MLS isn't going to be a direct competitor for spectators as it would be for a team based in the GTA and the opportunity to have Giovinco and co visit for a Voyageurs Cup game at some point is likely to very much boost interest rather than be a negative in any way.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

15 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I've taken it down, but in context of the year long discussion on here, I think it's fair to take offense to BBTB's post. His habit to insert jabs has become expected, but to say we are writing or podcasting to spin a narrative and angle for a job when all we've done is an attempt to help the community is just spiteful

Yes, but was that post aimed at you specifically or something. I doubt it, unless you've submitted your CV into MLSE and was rejected and is something that he knows about you or something :)

And nationalism is not a bad thing if it's inclusive. We're all obviously here because we like Canadian soccer lol.

2 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Are we really arguing about the lease oppoutunities in Toronto in 2037?  I think we all need a time out lol

No arguments, that's how things works at municipal level. And it's fun to pick people's brain

1 minute ago, Rheo said:

Beside according to the dreamers won't TFC be in the CPL by then :)

Are they needed? :lol:

If it ever happens one day, that would be at their own initiative, not the league for obvious reasons

Edited by Ansem

Not trying to rekindle an argument of anything, nor am I saying that nationalism is an bad thing...we all obviously have a certain amount of nationalistic pride to be on this forum, but I've always found that people from the GTA are generally are far more nationalistic than people from BC. I don't know why that is, but it clearly extends into soccer. The "league for Canadians" agenda for the CPL is led by GTAers, and TFC gets a ton more flack for not playing Canadians than IMFC or the Caps get even though they play far more Canadians and have the best academy in Canada.

Maybe it's that in Vancouver the presence of American culture is incredibly prevent, with the constant presence of Hollywood, Seattle sports being incredibly popular, and the general togetherness of Cascadia. Not sure. It's why I'm very concerned about a CPL team in BC; if the pitch of the league ends up being Canadians > quality, not sure too many people will feel obligated to care.

8 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Not trying to rekindle an argument of anything, nor am I saying that nationalism is an bad thing...we all obviously have a certain amount of nationalistic pride to be on this forum, but I've always found that people from the GTA are generally are far more nationalistic than people from BC. I don't know why that is, but it clearly extends into soccer. The "league for Canadians" agenda for the CPL is led by GTAers, and TFC gets a ton more flack for not playing Canadians than IMFC or the Caps get even though they play far more Canadians and have the best academy in Canada.

Maybe it's that in Vancouver the presence of American culture is incredibly prevent, with the constant presence of Hollywood, Seattle sports being incredibly popular, and the general togetherness of Cascadia. Not sure. It's why I'm very concerned about a CPL team in BC; if the pitch of the league ends up being Canadians > quality, not sure too many people will feel obligated to care.

Ha that's an interesting observation. Vancouver transplant here, haven't really thought about it, but if I could take a 5-second guess to put my input into it, I'd have said, when I lived in Vancouver, most other places in Canada seemed so very far away. Being here in Toronto, geographically closer to more cities in Canada, sure, the Maritimes doesn't feel and isn't as far away as it used to be living in Van City.

I lol at the "Centre of the Universe" though :D

6 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

Yes, but was that post aimed at you specifically or something. I doubt it, unless you've submitted your CV into MLSE and was rejected and is something that he knows about you or something :)

And nationalism is not a bad thing if it's inclusive. We're all obviously here because we like Canadian soccer lol.

I mean, there is one "CPL podcast" out there. Maybe he was referring to some of the general Canadian soccer podcasts like Footysoldiers, From the black hole, or Two Solitudes, but even in that case I think it would be just as appropriate to call out pretty baseless criticism of people providing a free service to the community with altruistic intentions. 

I just think that toxicity has to be consistently addressed when it arises. I don't think we would be looking at over a CPL dozen supporters groups if it hadn't been for this board's excitement, and I don't think that excitement would have had a chance to flourish if a group of users (yourself included) didn't push back against the negative narrative presented by a particular user. 

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, he has definitely largely changed his tune, but I don't think we should have a very high tolerance for slinging mud at the people who are committing personal time to advance a cause we are all clearly very interested. The reality is that it isn't just the internet being the internet, the Voyageurs are a relatively small community, and the net result is that the people who channel their excitement or frustration productively (ex. Creating and leading supporters groups, creating media that spreads the word, etc) get demoralized and all you have left is people who enjoy complaining 

But hey, I'm dwelling on this too much and am contributing to the problem, so I'll drop it. 

17 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The narrative that was spun on here and on podcasts about CPL was dominated to a significant extent by people in and around the GTA that wanted an alternative to TFC to emerge either out of a fiercely nationalist mentality due to the lack of Canadian content in TFC's first eleven, or possibly to be cyncical about it a chip on the shoulder over not being employed by TFC after they sent their CV into MLSE, 

Or the obvious reason, people are fed up over Canadian sports monopolies and want a change....but you just keep that head of yours buried deep up your ass like you normally do.

Edited by Macksam

They play at Wilfred Laurier University Stadium:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4701232,-80.5303742,187m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

{360 degrees picture is in the following link}

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4700012,-80.530571,3a,75y,32.4h,90t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1s-F6cggCyQNX4%2FWRDEKu3EuMI%2FAAAAAAAABPo%2FFofNj9d0H5YzXlfnxeRIaSN18C3zLZTmACLIB!2e4!3e11!6s%2F%2Flh6.googleusercontent.com%2F-F6cggCyQNX4%2FWRDEKu3EuMI%2FAAAAAAAABPo%2FFofNj9d0H5YzXlfnxeRIaSN18C3zLZTmACLIB%2Fw203-h100-k-no-pi1.1763148-ya69.73128-ro-1.1646295-fo100%2F!7i5376!8i2688?hl=en

The obvious issue is the permanent fieldturf markings but maybe they could do something similar to what Rayo Oklahoma did in the NASL:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.4907978,-97.7295323,210m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

That's also the approach that could make things happen quickly in Langley, BC:

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.1063941,-122.6282622,169m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

In both instances the width is there for a full-sized soccer field inside the track unlike what happened with the high school stadium in Oklahoma.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Back to the topic, have a questions: what is the current stadium of the K-W United Kitchener Waterloo team and why are posters saying it would be adequate for the CPL? Just curious, I don't know why I can´t see it or have found good pics of it.

I think different people have different views on what is adequate for CPL. in the end it only matters what Barry McLean deems adequate and he wants a new stadium. 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Back to the topic, have a questions: what is the current stadium of the K-W United Kitchener Waterloo team and why are posters saying it would be adequate for the CPL? Just curious, I don't know why I can´t see it or have found good pics of it.

Here's a couple pictures. Barry MacLean has previously spoken about wanting a stadium that "actually looks like a soccer stadium", specifically without a track and stands closer to the field. Tough to do at University, but I do wonder if an agreement could be reached to use Warrior Field - it doesn't have the track issue and you'd really just need to add some temporary stands alongside the field to increase seated capacity. Still spartan but a step in the right direction 

How adequate University Stadium is a bit of a hard question. MacLean didn't rule out using one of the universities' stadiums for a CPL club, but it's impossible for us to know if that's acceptable for the league. There's certainly an emphasis on having your own stadium though, as Bierne said that 6 of the 10 bids involved building a stadium, and 2 of the 10 we know have CFL stadiums. And, given the fact that there are few amenities as University (@Levi Oakey could probably elaborate on that better) I have my doubts about it being the long term solution 

StadiumfromAir.jpg

B823374688Z.1_20170530073828_000_GNM1T16UR.4_Super_Portrait.jpg

13 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Might as well build a modular stadium near downtown and the LRT.

I recall Beirne saying that stadiums with running tracks were none-starters

All depends on the investors MacLean has managed to find

But I agree, that's the ideal. Mind reminding me when Bierne said that? 

Find that far-fetched. It would mean no Moncton team playing at Moncton Stadium being possible, for example. It would also rule out stadiums like Swangard in Burnaby or Claude Robillard in Montreal despite the role they played in building pro soccer in Canada.  As for K-W, they may want a new permanent stadium with all the bells and whistles eventually but so do Halifax and the FC Edmonton but they plan to or did get going by making the best of what is already available.

13 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Find that far-fetched. It would mean no Moncton team playing at Moncton Stadium being possible, for example. It would also rule out stadiums like Swangard in Burnaby or Claude Robillard in Montreal despite the role they played in building pro soccer in Canada.  As for K-W, they may want a new permanent stadium with all the bells and whistles eventually but so do Halifax and the FC Edmonton but they plan to or did get going by making the best of what is already available.

To be fair to Moncton, they'd be expected to have the 2015 World Cup configuration for CPL

live-eng-v-france-crowd.jpg

Agree with BBTB here.   I know tracks are not preferred since they are emphasizing the game day experience but I don't recall Beirne outright saying that tracks are a no starter.  

As for Moncton I can see them being "expected" to play in World Cup configuration.  Why waste that money for the CPL, no offense to the league.  I can way better ways for the money to be spent on the team.

1 minute ago, Rheo said:

Agree with BBTB here.   I know tracks are not preferred since they are emphasizing the game day experience but I don't recall Beirne outright saying that tracks are a no starter.  

As for Moncton I can see them being "expected" to play in World Cup configuration.  Why waste that money for the CPL, no offense to the league.  I can way better ways for the money to be spent on the team.

Then if they insist on running tracks, I wish them good luck for their bids. There's always Division II down the road. I'm sorry but it makes sense for the league to not want running tracks in their stadiums.