Whitecaps 2017 Season

TRM

12 minutes ago, Keegan said:

He would never be eligible anyway as he played for the USA before becoming eligible for us.

I believe he only played in friendlies, the rule you are referencing is only for players who have played in official competition. I spoke to a person within the Caps organization who seemed to think Dean eventually playing for the CMNT was a possibility in 2015 when he got PR.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maund trade is official; RSL gets the Whitecaps' third round pick in the 2018 MLS Superdraft in exchange.

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2017/08/09/whitecaps-fc-acquire-centre-back-aaron-maund-real-salt-lake?hootPostID=b70f077c630d5a9ebb9e2e12ad67b591

Just from what I've been seeing on Twitter and Reddit from RSL fans, it seems like he's a solid MLS CB, like Sheanon Williams is a solid MLS RB. We needed a guy with MLS experience who could step in when needed, and it seems we have that now.

edit: The Dean trade is official now. 

Details on the Dean trade:

Vancouver Whitecaps FC trade centre back Christian Dean to Chicago Fire in exchange for $50,000 of General Allocation Money, an additional $50,000 of conditional Targeted Allocation Money in the event Dean starts 12 or more 2018 regular season matches for the Fire, as well as a percentage of any future transfer fees for Dean, which is on a sliding scale and expires following the first transfer window of 2020.

Any word on Edgar's recovery? We seem thin at the CB spot and deWit & Dean gone so another opening? Straith? We are certainly a different team without Waston in there. Got one from RSL so that fills some gaps.

11 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Can't say I'm inspired by the acquisition of Maund but he might provide the serviceable American journeyman depth with which this league is fueled.

True, and I'd take having Maund over Dean any day of the week. Maund hasn't had a good year (not many on RSL have had a good year, to be fair), but like Tchani, he was a key player for his team a year or two ago. 

At the very least, he'll stay more healthy than Dean has during his time in Vancouver, and is a solid depth option in a position where we lack depth, mainly due to Edgar's unfortunate injury. I liken this move to the Sheanon Williams acquisition; not flashy, but it provides stability.

More transfer rumours (!!!): Whitecaps are apparently nearing a deal with Egyptian international CDM/CB Aly Ghazal. It would be a free transfer, as he recently terminated his contract with a club in China. Before his move to China (which occurred just one month ago), he was a regular starter in the Portugese top flight with C.D. Nacional.

Worth noting that if he comes in, someone's got to be on the way out or there must be a trade for an international roster spot in the works, as the Whitecaps have no more international spots left. That and the fact that the middle of the park looks overcrowded.

My take: sounds like a solid player to me. Egypt's a top nation in Africa, and the Portugese league is pretty decent. 

5 hours ago, TRM said:

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2017/08/10/whitecaps-fc-acquire-egyptian-international-central-midfielder-aly-ghazal

He's a Cap now. Yet another refugee from China's league. Let's hope he works out as good as the last one.

He looks like Laba but with more passing ability. Looks like a good signing to me. This is what they need, some ball control in the middle of the park. Hopefully he can bring that.

11 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

He looks like Laba but with more passing ability. Looks like a good signing to me. This is what they need, some ball control in the middle of the park. Hopefully he can bring that.

Looks like the guy you get when you cannot sign Hutchinson! He's even tall and skinny like Atiba. What I like to hear is that he has real leadership qualities, which means we may have found our general in the middle yet. But, yes, it makes for a crowded midfield, presuming he works out. I would imagine that Tiebert and Jacobson are not going to see much of the pitch for the rest of the season. But I am loving the depth the team has, now that most everyone is healthy. They'll need five or six games to integrate this new piece, along with Reyna, but just as long as they keep picking up points until then, they should be well-positioned for a playoff run. But all of that depends on the team finding chemistry with the new guys. I am optimistic.

17 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

Looks like the guy you get when you cannot sign Hutchinson! He's even tall and skinny like Atiba. What I like to hear is that he has real leadership qualities, which means we may have found our general in the middle yet. But, yes, it makes for a crowded midfield, presuming he works out. I would imagine that Tiebert and Jacobson are not going to see much of the pitch for the rest of the season. But I am loving the depth the team has, now that most everyone is healthy. They'll need five or six games to integrate this new piece, along with Reyna, but just as long as they keep picking up points until then, they should be well-positioned for a playoff run. But all of that depends on the team finding chemistry with the new guys. I am optimistic.

Yep. This guy was the captain of his club team in Portugal, and he's only 25. Plus, just from looking around the internet, he's been linked in the past with the likes of Lazio, Hamburg, Leeds United, and Sporting Lisbon. This guy's clearly got a ton of quality.

And I too am pleased with our depth now. We've got at least 2 guys in every position that can compete for a starting role, let alone being capable of stepping in if needed. 

Now the questions are:

-will we play for a bit more possession, to reduce the rival's chances on our goal?

-will we come out to win games and dominate rivals when they are ripe for it?

If we can eliminate softly taken goals, and get some dominant results in a row, then we'll be on the roll we need.

BTW, both signings seem fine to me. I think Maund may not play much, but that Ghazal will, especially if he can show more leadership going forward, leaving Laba with either Tchani or Jacobsen behind him. 

13 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

-will we play for a bit more possession, to reduce the rival's chances on our goal?

-will we come out to win games and dominate rivals when they are ripe for it?

We definitely now have the team to do a possession game and I hope we do it. While the bunker and counter got us to 3rd overall I don't see it as a long term solution unless you have your breakaway speed players scoring on their chances. Montero is not that type of player but the most effective forward we've had since Camilo. This comes down to coaching so we'll see if Robbo can adjust. A 4-1-3-2 with Montero & Reyna up top and Laba doing the lone DM role is what I expect.

I also think Maund will be CB cover and Ally will compete with Tchani for the box to box mid position. For the 3 mids I'd go with Bolanos, Ally/Tchani Techera. Sub in Davies & Brek "trade bait" Shea  :)

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Is everyone comfortable with the lowest paid player on the field regularly wearing the captain's band? I'm not.

When the Caps renew Parker I hope they redress this cheapo embarrassment. 

It's a salary cap league. These type of inequities are to be expected if maybe not quite as obvious. At $81k he is best value going. Signed in 2015 with the 13th pick so probably the standard 3 year deal with 2 option years for club. Count on a substantial raise at the end of this season.

7 hours ago, TRM said:

It's a salary cap league. These type of inequities are to be expected if maybe not quite as obvious. At $81k he is best value going. Signed in 2015 with the 13th pick so probably the standard 3 year deal with 2 option years for club. Count on a substantial raise at the end of this season.

In every league in the world, on every club, you would offer him a renewal before the contract ended. Because he is a starting back you are paying a USL salary to. And then asking him to wear the armband, meaning you value him highly. It's not like he's 18 either, he's an adult. So be a mature club and treat him like one.

The reason you do this is simple: to help retain him later on, and to protect him from other clubs wanting to take him from you too easily. You protect your value, your investment, by raising his value overall. You clearly let the player know he is valued, and you could do it with very little money, taking him up 50%, it costs you less than 50 grand. Then he says, hey, this club values me. Instead of thinking, deep down, they are cheapos, they've been taking unfair advanaage of a really low contract, so as soon as I get the chance I am going to take an offer to go somewhere where they might appreciate me more. And where my profile might be higher.

I mean, Parker is maybe not far from being on the USMNT, he needs a couple more years maybe. If the team is successful, even faster. We should probably tighten up at the back overall to benefit his USNT image, but I think the natural curve should see him in their mix after Russia 2018.

Edit: Question: can MLS clubs unilaterally raise a players salary, improving their contract before it runs out?

I think Van are letting Parker know he is valued by giving him a starting role, giving him the playing time he needs to grow into the USMNT picture and the armband.  I dont think there is anything wrong with Van sticking with the contract he signed when we was a draftee.  Plenty of draft picks never get playing time let alone a starters role and the armband by their 3rd season.  Parker knows he will get a payday when his original contract runs out because he has performed.  Too many sports reward players for 1 good season and re-negotiate too soon.  Then teams get stuck with fringe players and big salaries that they cant get rid off (ie Maund 165000$)

And a 0-1 loss to NE in which we didn't create much but still almost got the goal back on Techera's crossbar. Oh well. MdJ goes the full 90 and looked good and Davies came on for the last 11 minutes. Did some very nice work down the left side and didn't run into 3 defenders and give the ball away.

1 hour ago, saladroit said:

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2017/08/15/whitecaps-fc-midfielder-mat-laba-injury-update

Laba's torn his ACL, and is out for the rest of the season.

Ouch. That sucks. So now is it Teibert time? Given the schedule of extra catch up games coming up I think he'll get some starts. Tchani, Jacobson & Aly? Tchani has been playing better but he is more of the box to box same as Aly. Time to take the spot Russ!!!

Wasn't sure where else to put this but it does involve a Whitecaps player so I've posted it here.It was inconsequential to the result in the end. My point isn't to trash Tim Parker in any way, just that its somewhat scary to see that certain Refs can't get it right even with video review:

And off-topic but related to Canadian content - good to see Richie Laryea not taking any b.s. from Sacha Klejstan

4 hours ago, TRM said:

Ouch. That sucks. So now is it Teibert time? Given the schedule of extra catch up games coming up I think he'll get some starts. Tchani, Jacobson & Aly? Tchani has been playing better but he is more of the box to box same as Aly. Time to take the spot Russ!!!

Robbo will not give Teibert that opportunity. It's clear he doesn't see Russ as anything more than an emergency depth player. It will be Jacobson in the first game and then Aly once he is in game shape. Russ might see more opportunities as a back-up and late sub, that's all.

Archived