Euro 2016

Ngravs

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I was not sure about watching but turned on France-Romania, and it was a great game, very high quality. So I watched, missed a bit only. Very well played, incredibly competitive, good fan atmosphere, almost like a final since France was dominating but struggling and felt they HAD to win and Romania hanging on, but getting chances, early and late. 

First half I thought Kasai the Hungarian ref, who is very competent, was favouring France, and he missed a clear foul in or near the box on a counter. If he looked at that in the halftime, don't know, but I am sure it helped him call the penalty for Romania 2nd half.

Great goal by Payet gives FR the win, but Romania almost pulled it off. Going to be a very competitive entertaining Cup if that level is kept up. 

Re:  Albania vs. Switerland

Anyone think that the ref started with the yellows too early which then trapped him into giving a red to the Albanian defender because of the hand ball?  Or were the decisions made by the ref with the early yellows correct?

England-Russia. Funny game, when they were chasing the win in the 2nd half, it was like energy and individualism and just plain ego, and you were thinking--typical England, all guts, no tactics. Then they got the goal, probably deservedly. After, you were waiting for Russia to react and it was pathetic, they are like robots, very automatic, it was like they didn't care about losing. Even protesting the ref they had no character. And England on top of the match totally.  Then Russia stole that late goal. I would not even blame anyone on England for that --though Hart was behaving oddly those late minutes-- it was rare chance well-taken. 

IMO England definitely deserved the win, Russia was shockingly heartless. 

I never know what to expect from a big tournament, but so far it has been quite enjoyable.

Having a few buddies who are England fans means I've suffered through plenty of boring, plodding Three Lions matches. That said, this was not one of them. England were remarkably quick, positive, and dare I say it: modern-appearing; well-done Mr Hodgson. They absolutely bossed the 1st half and after finally getting their deserved lead, really should have been able to put the game to bed as Russia were hardly threatening (I think they may have been missing 1 or 2 starters). That said, England were nervy in the final few moments and credit where it's due: it was a nice cross with a great header by the Russian player to tie things up. 

19 hours ago, AvroArrow said:

Re:  Albania vs. Switerland

Anyone think that the ref started with the yellows too early which then trapped him into giving a red to the Albanian defender because of the hand ball?  Or were the decisions made by the ref with the early yellows correct?

That was a red card every day of the week, regardless whether the ref had given a lot of yellows earlier. He basically picked up the ball to prevent the attacker being in alone against the 'keeper. 

59 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

That was a red card every day of the week, regardless whether the ref had given a lot of yellows earlier. He basically picked up the ball to prevent the attacker being in alone against the 'keeper. 

Very true, but if I recall correctly, the ref showed a second yellow and then a red and not a straight red card.  End result would have been the same though.

Italy looked solid in a 2-0 win over Belgium. Except for the Lukaku miss, Belgium didn't have much of a clear chance.

It's a very good tournament so far, I watch most of the games and all of them were of very good quality. Hopefully I don't jinx it but the officiating is also of high quality so far.

Spain played a lot like Barça on a bad day--and like Spain. Lots of possession, incredible skills, and then just squeezing out the result late. I think in the WC win Spain played similarly, scoring way less goals than the quality of the play would justify. But this business of setting up a static attack, letting the defense settle, and then going for it, well it gets tiring. 

Spain has the advantage that they can take the ball away from almost all other teams, and keep it. And they probably have the best combination of centre backs and keeper in the tournament, maybe the whole back line. A quality defensive mid, and of course amazing creative mids. The strikers are just alright.

So if you don't catch the opposition on a wrong foot or hit fast or try to take advantage of beating a defender and then going for goal, you are going to make it hard on yourself. I mean, not shooting when you have a clear look, what's that?

35 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I would argue Italy has the best combination of centre backs and keeper with Buffon and the three Juve CBs. They will be the reason Italy does not have to have a great team but will still go deep in the tournament.

No queston. They have the best defence at the tournament. This is because of their quality and the fact that they already have plenty of chemistry as they all play at Juventus.

51 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I would argue Italy has the best combination of centre backs and keeper with Buffon and the three Juve CBs. They will be the reason Italy does not have to have a great team but will still go deep in the tournament.

The winner of group E (Italy are the favourite now) will get the runner up of group D in the 1/8 finals, which probably means Croatia or Spain. That could be quite the game and sadly, to early to see one of these 3 teams out of the tournament.

Automatic Red Card to Chiellini for wrapping his arms around the Belgian player....on several occasions in last nights game. He wasn't the only Italian to resort to this tactic especially when the Belgians looked to be on the break. This should be an automatic red card, not a "safe" yellow. Total garbage.

5 hours ago, gardencity said:

Automatic Red Card to Chiellini for wrapping his arms around the Belgian player....on several occasions in last nights game. He wasn't the only Italian to resort to this tactic especially when the Belgians looked to be on the break. This should be an automatic red card, not a "safe" yellow. Total garbage.

Tactical foul have always been a YC unless you use a crazy tackle to do it (then it's a RC). 

I thought Italians defenders showed their experience, taking a YC after a poor giveaways by the midfield. 

Nice to see the minnow Iceland getting a point from Portugal. Not pretty but nice to see. This group will be interesting as I'm not sure Portugal will get 6 pts from Hungary and Austria. 

18 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

The Italians are masters at playing the system. I am at a loss to explain how football has developed some of the most moronic rules in sport. Foul somebody in the penalty area and you can get a red card AND they get a penalty! You are punished twice for one crime. How is the penalty on its own not sufficient recompense? (in the case where the red was simply for denying a goal scoring opportunity). And, as you say, a cynical foul to stop a counter attack is very deserving of a red card because the free kick is not adequate recompense for the crime. It just makes too much sense to ever be called!

My problem isn't the RC for DOGSO, in or outside the penalty area. It can be justify IMO. You want a harsh penalty (PK + RC) so players will think twice before committing such a foul. With what you just said, Suarez would've stayed on the field in a famous 2010 WC quaterfinals.

What I don't like about the PK rule is that you can get a PK for fouls that aren't on a OGSO. Attacking player is at the bottom of the box facing the line, get push and he gets a PK while a player who's all alone on goal won't get a PK if he's fouled outside the box. Or a handball on a defender with no pressure who makes a bad control, a PK for that is undeserved IMO. The PK rule could be change IMO but I don't think the authority has the will to do it.

10 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Interesting reporting from Duane Rollins that ratings are down 40% on TSN from the last Euros. I think most of that is cable-cutting but I know I'm not going to start caring until the knock-out rounds. Too many weak teams.

The "weak" teams are the fun teams, it is what makes the tournament lively!! Watching Iceland take points from Portugal or Romania make France sweat means the games are very tense and exciting. The desperation of a "stronger" team not getting a desired result in the first game of a group stage, the anxiety, the nail-biting--well worth it.

Re punishing for the same crime twice: you are aware there are new rule proposals, I believe by the International Board, being worked on for 2 years, and announced earlier this spring? They said they were going to implement them for this competition but I think they decided to phase them in, as there is not enough consensus on them yet, Fifa members are still commenting on them.

One is precisely to eliminate the red card for last man in case of penalty in the box. Another I like is that  centre kick off no longer has to go forwards. Goal-line technology implementation is also being built in.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10242286/ifab-anounces-law-changes-softening-rules-on-fouls-in-the-penalty-area

6 hours ago, dsqpr said:

I'm afraid I can't bring to mind a 2010 Suarez red card but if he was sent off for denying an OGSO in the penalty area (and therefore a penalty was also awarded) then I most certainly think he should not have been sent off. If he was sent off for biting somebody then the the red card was more than deserved and should really have been accompanied by an MMA style ground and pound.

Players already have lots of incentive to not foul in the penalty area because when they do the other team gets a penalty! Players should only be sent off for extreme unsportsmanlike conduct and giving away a penalty hardly qualifies on its own. You may have denied an OGSO but it seems to me that a penalty is an OGSO so justice has been served!

As for the other fouls in the area that you mention, I think those are all quite rightly penalties for the very reason you mentioned - so that defenders won't commit them and forwards will have the chance to work their magic close to goal!

But punishing twice for the same crime is moronic.

Suarez saving with his hands in overtime stoppage time against Ghana.

Surely, in a situation like this, the player has to go. I haven't read the new rule propositions and I would welcome a YC only for DOGSO with a PK, but a situation like the one with Uruguay and Ghana 6 years ago should always result in a RC IMHO.

We are getting lots of these thriller games where the lesser side, the real underdog, is taking the favourite to the limit. France tonight, and they are qualified for next round.

I think the thing is that now rivals will see how to close down France, who frankly need an up front strong striker with striker movements. Benzema.

I'll post this on our amazing Manrekar thread, but Hungary getting a result will be good for their league, football. And for anyone playing there. 

22 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Interesting reporting from Duane Rollins that ratings are down 40% on TSN from the last Euros. I think most of that is cable-cutting but I know I'm not going to start caring until the knock-out rounds. Too many weak teams.

Last Euro had Italy vs Spain on opening weekend that got 1.1 million. There are no super teams like Spain in this Euro and Italy played on Monday. So, with this context, the 40% down is overblown.

I  agree   with  Red  Card   about   the  40 %  down  . A  lot  of  people  I  know  are  watching  games  at  Bars,   were  every  TV  has  a  Euro  game  On,  ON  the  Computers   while  watching  on  Streams  or  there  Cell  Phones.  and  some  including  my self   have  been  listening  on  TSN radio.

On 14/06/2016 at 9:40 PM, Dub Narcotic said:

I just hope Iceland, Albania, Hungary and Northern Ireland moves on to the semifinals so you don't have to watch the whole tournament ;)

Archived