Euro 2016

Ngravs

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

History has shown that when another poster on this forum has an opposing view to my own, that poster more than likely ends up in the wrong. I just want to make sure you're fully aware of what you're going up against before you go around a corner that can't be unturned. :D

Nice sarcastic post there. 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Nice sarcastic post there. 

images.jpg

10 hours ago, Ivanovski94 said:

Im usually not wrong in what i believe in so Im not bothered by your opinion. Portugal can still win versus these teams but they wont win a tournament and especially this euro. If they do,Ill be in shock though I will be happy for Cristiano. Ronaldo deserves it, takes the blame when they don't win but when he wins games for them it becomes team win.

Arjen-Robben-vs-Australia-600x744.jpg

I was talking to a friend in Liverpool yesterday and we both agreed Bale had been the player of the tournament so far. Payet has a few flashes. After him I'd say you'd have to give it to Rakitic, for leading Croatia in a hard group. 

Bale is scoring, sometimes in key moments, but also playing for the team. 

The team playing very well, with Bale the leader. And he has that look of someone having fun, which I think is great.

Thing is, Bale had a very good last 2 months of the season, when Cristiano was injured in the last stretch, and Benzema was moping about his own stupidities, he really stepped up huge, probably R Madrid's best player in the last 6-8 matches along with Lucas Vázquez. 

As I hate Madrid and want them to fail and never give them any credit, I think my opinion is begrudgingly fair. Can't tell you how happy I am to see most of them fail, except for the Spanish national team, don't know what gets into me....

3 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Yippee! Looking forward to this one! Belgium looking very strong but here is Wales' chance to take advantage of the fantastic draw they earned by winning their group. Come on boyos, make Macksam eat his words! Hat trick for Bale anyone? ;)

Oh game on! 

Belgium is coming into form. Meaning especially Hazard. 

If the guy would convince himself to play 100% for 90 minutes regardless of what was going on around him we'd see him in the pantheon of world football, I think he lacks a bit of mental preparedness, but still. 

Belgium you can see has great talent, enough to make a run for it, all they have to do is shift into full dominant champion gear, and even with that win you sort of feel they are still missing a bit to become a full-fledged winner.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Belgium is coming into form. Meaning especially Hazard. 

If the guy would convince himself to play 100% for 90 minutes regardless of what was going on around him we'd see him in the pantheon of world football, I think he lacks a bit of mental preparedness, but still. 

Belgium you can see has great talent, enough to make a run for it, all they have to do is shift into full dominant champion gear, and even with that win you sort of feel they are still missing a bit to become a full-fledged winner.

There was a 15 to 20 minute period prior to Belgium scoring the second goal where you can tell their focus was slipping and the team started to get sloppy. Now, I think Hungary play better as a team than Wales. However, because Wales have more game breakers in Bale and Ramsey, they should pose more of a threat should Belgium start to get sloppy again.

23 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

Iceland ices England. If that's not the upset of the tournament, then Iceland beating France likely will be.

BWA HA HA HA HA. Die you gravy sucking English pigs!!! Die die die!!!! And take OwenH to the gallows with you! 

ICELAND? WTF? ICELAND? They have 250,000 people!!! You lost to ICELAND? In a Euro knockout round? HA HA HA HA. May the whole team get hung from the lightposts when they get back to England. 

Way to go Iceland!!!!!!!

PS. My apologies to Steve Martin for abusing his cheerleader routine.

3 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Die yourself, you mother fucking cunt.

I'd like to see you say that to me face to face. Fucking yellow keyboard warrior.

I have put a curse on all countries that take players who could have played for us. It gives me something to get interested in a match more than I would normally. Nothing personal and you obviously didn't get the humour angle with the Steve Martin cheer. Same for Holland,USA and Bosnia.

Would it be less upsetting to you if I change the cheer to "Die you gravy sucking "English Football Association" pigs" ? A bit longer but I'm okay with it. USSF, Royal Dutch Football Association and Football Association of Bosnia and Herzegovina get much longer and harder to work in.

3 hours ago, 1996 said:

England play with no tactics, if Italy's coach Conte was their manager that team would be in the finals.

They could scrap their way to the finals in very ugly fashion I suppose.

Conte at the very least would not have played guys out of position. Not making a mistake like that is coaching 101 for any sport. If you look at guys like Parolo, De Rossi, Giacherrini, they play the same position for their clubs. I don't follow a team like Tottenham too closely, but apparently guys like Deli Alli were being played in places that were alien to them.

10 hours ago, Macksam said:

They could scrap their way to the finals in very ugly fashion I suppose.

Conte at the very least would not have played guys out of position. Not making a mistake like that is coaching 101 for any sport. If you look at guys like Parolo, De Rossi, Giacherrini, they play the same position for their clubs. I don't follow a team like Tottenham too closely, but apparently guys like Deli Alli were being played in places that were alien to them.

Allli is a centre mid, no England player was out of position he just picked his squad poorly (Kane has been useless all tournament same with Sterling so why they started is beyond me) and suffered the consequence of not winning the group. Poor tactics and lack of team cohesion.

look at Italy, they passion EVERYONE has for each other and the country is amazing. The England players just lack the drive

14 hours ago, TRM said:

BWA HA HA HA HA. Die you gravy sucking English pigs!!! Die die die!!!! And take OwenH to the gallows with you! 

ICELAND? WTF? ICELAND? They have 250,000 people!!! You lost to ICELAND? In a Euro knockout round? HA HA HA HA. May the whole team get hung from the lightposts when they get back to England. 

Way to go Iceland!!!!!!!

PS. My apologies to Steve Martin for abusing his cheerleader routine.

Thanks for the offensive comment to English people. We all really appreciate it!

PS I have seen your comment trying to defend it, and I don't have time for that excuse

8 hours ago, dsqpr said:

I stand by every word of my reply to your contemptible post. Any your whiny explanation does not in any way excuse it.

Get a sense of humour. As a long suffering Canadian soccer fan I take delight in these moments. If that offends you then tough shit.

5 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

VIDEO: Hamann says Premier League is 'a fraud'

http://www.rte.ie/sport/euro-2016/2016/0628/798681-analysis/#comments

He's right about no English player minus Sturridge possibly making it at a top club in Europe and the prem being overrated.

The problem is going to get a lot worse for English talent. What used to be mid to bottom table clubs in the prem are finally seeing what can be achieved when they forego English talent (I know Tottenham was an exception) and load the team up with foreigners. That's the reason you had teams like Southhampton, West Ham and Leicester City compete with the traditional big boys this past season. They are all partially employing a Porto model, don't load the team up with high end foreigners but up and coming foreigners. I know I harp on about Porto a lot on this forum but they generally have half the salary budget of your average prem side and yet they've been traditionally better than 75 percent of Prem clubs over the years. West Ham and Leicester have figured it out and know they can easily build a side like Porto (and some) within their salary budget and compete for a top four spot or the title. The other prem sides will go in that direction as well.

It's not so much that the Premier League is over rated, as it has good teams with good players.  The problem is that most of the good players in the league aren't English (Aguero, Hazard, De Gea, etc....) and most of the best teams only have a dash of English players on the roster.  So England basically has a large amount of role players who play in a good league.  However, is a team consisting of role players going to be able to produce the type of creativity required to compete at the international level?  The evidence appears to say that the answer is no.

His analysis of the individual talent is spot on.  No England players would start for any of the major current international powers (eg. Germany) or for any of the major clubs (Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich).  How much better would England be if they had some one like Bale?

So the end result is that England seems to always show up with a decent team but not a great team.  Good enough to qualify but not good enough to progress very far in the knock out phases.

14 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

You are a cunt. A fucking cowardly piece of shit.

If that offends you, then tough shit.

Doesn't offend me at all. You may want to go to an ENGLISH soccer forum to get sympathy. None from me for those teams named above that take players who could have played for us.

Forgive me if I'm wrong here but am I the only one who is not seeing this as a second Miracle on ice?  Iceland has long been a competitive team placing players in the Premiership and other top leagues, have they not?  England has been a constant underachiever.  The only miracle I see is how does this tiny populated country constantly come up with such competitive players.

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong here but am I the only one who is not seeing this as a second Miracle on ice?

How is it not a bloody miracle? A tiny island placing players in the premiership and building a successful national team culminating in their current run at the Euros. That is plenty of miracle for me.

32 minutes ago, ted said:

How is it not a bloody miracle? A tiny island placing players in the premiership and building a successful national team culminating in their current run at the Euros. That is plenty of miracle for me.

Actually,their 2 wins over 2014 World Cup semifinalist,  Netherlands during the qualifying (plus a 3-0 beating of Turkey and a 2-1 over Czech Republic) was a pretty strong indication of Iceland quality as a team. Also, they missed qualifying for the 2014 WC by loosing in the playoffs.

The story is cool and amazing for such a small nation but I'm not surprise to see them tying Portugal or beating England. They showed in the recent years that they are capable of beating such teams.

Archived