Euro 2016

Ngravs

I do enjoy cheering against teams like England, Holland and Bosnia (well they aren't in it but you know what I mean). Every team that has taken a player who could have chosen us I curse and hope the fleas of a thousand camels infests their crotch.

Way to go Russia!!! Stole 2 points from them English puppy dogs. Holland ??? I mean I can understand Bosnia not making it but Holland? BWA HA HA HA. Die you gravy sucking pigs!!!!! Die die die!!!!

The only downer is USA making the round of 16 in Copa America. Come on Ecuador!!

Okay that is me on 5+ beer after watching live and catching up on my PVR'd games. Damn this is fun!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all seriousness I can't help but pull for the old geezer Buffon. One more trophy ring before retirement. That would be fitting. And the way that they played against Belgium was just classic. No more floating through the opening rounds. Nope, go for the throat start to finish.

Aside from that Spain and Germany are fun to watch.

Poland - Germany scoreless tie was a very well played match, real quality football. I think both have that great balance between tactics, strength and technique, for me it is most attractive football right now. I prefer it to Spain, for example, really to anything else. Especially thinking of Germany, even with them not really playing dominatingly so far in this tournament.

Spain tonight was the most dominant performance so far in the tournament, though Turkey had some play before the first Spain goal. And accepting the last goal was offside, or close, though Spain could have put in more, they pressured and attacked 90 minutes. The best argument so far by any team wanting to be seen as favourite. 

The key, I think, is that this was the most important game for Spain since the failure at the World Cup, psychologically huge. Pique, who a lot of Spain fans were booing for his comments on Catalonia and Spain over the entire classification campaign (most R Madrid fans, of course), finally has gotten over that and the fan base has shifted into positive mode. But the whole team, the attitude is incredibly positive and the team as a whole is playing well, with no real weak spots (maybe Silva a bit, he seems off his usual amazing form). 

Players I think are less know internationally, like Nolito the Celta attacker. Even subs, like Soriano who is an amazing central mid, a lefty at Villareal, great player. On top of that, with today, Iniesta is certainly the player of the tournament so far after two games, I can't see any rival. Him being left off the best XI after game One because of the new UEFA mathematical formula that calculates intead of allowing experts to vote, has given him a new nickname announcers are using, which I love: El Algoritmo, The Algorithm.

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

Great to see some unheralded teams doing well, particularly Iceland. Could they win it? About as much chance as the Danes and the Greeks in years gone by I'd say. Wait a moment...! :)

I think it was just that much easier for them as there was one less knock-out round. I recall Denmark was an unexpected invitee, forget who bowed out (one of the Balkan teams?). But they were deserving as they had a great generation of talent, led by Laudrup if I am not mistaken, and played well. Greece played terrible ultra-defensive football., they were awful, frankly.  

If a smaller side is to win, let it be one of the ones playing positive entertaining football--for the sake of the game. 

Croatia has just defeated Spain 2-1, having stopped a PK at 1-1 and then scored a late goal.

That means it's Italy vs. Spain in the Round of 16. :wacko: Moreover, England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain are all on one side of the bracket!

The other side has Croatia, Poland, Switzerland and Wales so far. :blink: Portugal and Belgium are likely to join them, but if so they would face each other in the Round of 16. Croatia has a nice path to the final.

2 hours ago, DJT said:

Croatia has just defeated Spain 2-1, having stopped a PK at 1-1 and then scored a late goal.

That means it's Italy vs. Spain in the Round of 16. :wacko: Moreover, England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain are all on one side of the bracket!

The other side has Croatia, Poland, Switzerland and Wales so far. :blink: Portugal and Belgium are likely to join them, but if so they would face each other in the Round of 16. Croatia has a nice path to the final.

Spain done goofed, been reported to the cyber police and things will never be the same. 

They simply relaxed, lost urgency, started managing a draw that really the Croats did not deserve, then let themselves get hit on  a nice late counter. Del Bosque made no changes so everyone went through the motions, for me every player was worse except Silva, and that is a bad formula for success.

At least on the tough side of that draw, that is real tough competition, who ever gets through is going to be exhausted but very favourite to win it. 

For me Spain has lost their status of favourite and are just another in a big bunch now.

Jeffrey is frustrated that Spain "done goofed" and dsqr is frustrated that England "have shat the bed as usual". Well, as an Italy fan, I'm frustrated because, for once, Italy actually won their first two games and even clinched first place with a game to spare, instead of requiring their usual nailbiting result in the third game  -- and yet, despite this, look what they got!! :angry: They can't even "throw" the final game and move to the other side of the bracket!

5 minutes ago, DJT said:

Jeffrey is frustrated that Spain "done goofed" and dsqr is frustrated that England "have shat the bed as usual". Well, as an Italy fan, I'm frustrated because, for once, Italy actually won their first two games and even clinched first place with a game to spare, instead of requiring their usual nailbiting result in the third game  -- and yet, despite this, look what they got!! :angry: They can't even "throw" the final game and move to the other side of the bracket!

I don't quite understand why the Euros didn't use a ranking system for their first place teams from the groups instead of slotting them into a bracket already set in stone.  That would give the first place teams something to play for even if they already have won the group.  It would seem that the best 1st place teams (eg. most points with the best goal differential) get the third place teams in the first round and not some team that happens to win a specific group.

It is weird because I can't ever recall Italy playing a final game in a major tournament where (a) it doesn't matter if they lose by 25 goals, they will still win the group and (b) they already know who their opponent is going to be in the next round (an opponent who is rewarded for their 2nd place group finish with an extra day of rest vs. Italy as group winners, which is also strange). I know Italy is fielding a 2nd choice side this afternoon vs. Ireland but I expect it will be difficult for them to not already be thinking past Ireland and ahead to Spain.

Round of 16

This list is arranged as a bracket: the winner of the first match plays the winner of the second match in the Quarterfinals, etc., etc.

Switzerland vs. Poland

Croatia vs. Portugal

Wales vs. Northern Ireland

Hungary vs. Belgium

Germany vs. Slovakia

Italy vs. Spain

France vs. Ireland

England vs. Iceland

2 hours ago, DJT said:

Round of 16

This list is arranged as a bracket: the winner of the first match plays the winner of the second match in the Quarterfinals, etc., etc.

Switzerland vs. Poland

Croatia vs. Portugal

Wales vs. Northern Ireland

Hungary vs. Belgium

Germany vs. Slovakia

Italy vs. Spain

France vs. Ireland

England vs. Iceland

Thanks. I think the biggest goof up was Iceland countering Austria, who were pushing forwards, and scoring last minute. To get England instead of Croatia think it would be. In principle a harder draw. But maybe Iceland was thinking that if the Austrians were to score they could be out, so better play for the win. Very good attitude for the real minnow of the tournament. 

Lovely to see their fans too, that deep blue.

I thought Ireland was a lot to handle tonight, agressive but also getting under Italy's skin. Very competitive bunch and a terrible demand on defences. I think France has the physicality to deal with them, but should be close.

The sleeper to go to the final would be Wales. Based on performance, the best team in the upper half of the draw is Croatia, who besides have very talented players, they have some with high skill level, which will help for sure. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I thought Ireland was a lot to handle tonight, agressive but also getting under Italy's skin. Very competitive bunch and a terrible demand on defences. I think France has the physicality to deal with them, but should be close.

I think the last time these two teams played a competitive match, Thierry Henry was channeling his basketball skills to score.  Historically, it's not unusual to see the karma swing the other way in the follow up fixture but I think the Irish are in tough.

I like Poland in that top end of the draw.  They look like a tough nut to crack.  Krychowiak looks like a big time engine in the middle of the park.  You've probably seen him a few times in La Liga.

The final is going to feature an interesting team for sure.  The one side of the bracket has Belgium, Croatia and Portugal as favourites and I think any of them would be surprises for the final.  But then you also have Wales in that mix, they genuinely could beat any of those teams and reach the final.

14 hours ago, Keegan said:

The final is going to feature an interesting team for sure.  The one side of the bracket has Belgium, Croatia and Portugal as favourites and I think any of them would be surprises for the final.  But then you also have Wales in that mix, they genuinely could beat any of those teams and reach the final.

Belgium would beat Wales 9 times out of 10. That's not good for Wales considering they already got their 1 victory over them. ;)

16 hours ago, Ivanovski94 said:

I'd take England over Croatia if I was Iceland. England's game is better suited to be shut down by Iceland.

That is what Ferdinand was saying in the postgame comments with Lineker and Henry. But I think Iceland is really not that structured defensively, they are in fact similar to England and, given the talent difference, and Iceland being happy just to get here, I predict England's most decisive game so far. 

If not, if they keep struggling, well hell!

3 hours ago, dsqpr said:

I have been continually underestimating Wales for two years now. I confidently predicted they would not beat Russia and we know how that turned out! If they had played with that same enterprise against England they very possibly could have won that one too. They have the best player in the tournament and a very decent supporting cast. I agree Belgium would be favoured (there I go again) but I'd say Wales would win more like 4 out of 10 times.

Woaaa, hold on there cowboy. Are you saying Gareth Bale is the best player participating in EURO 2016 or Gareth Bale has been the best player so far at EURO 2016? I disagree whole heartedly on both accounts but need clarification before I rip you a new one. I'll be somewhat gentile though because I like you :p. Also, I might give you 2 out of 10 against Belgium if Wales get lucky by bunkering and knocking a cheap one in.

2 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Rip me a new one for saying that Gareth Bale is the player of the tournament so far? You must be joking! That is hardly controversial! Scored in every match so far, tore Russia to shreds, and will be giving Ronaldo lessons on free kick taking very soon.

Now I am REALLY hoping it is Wales vs. Belgium in the quarters but I fear Belgium might not make it! It would be a huge mistake for Wales to bunker the way they did against England; they are at their best when they have a go.

I can't be too hard on you for underestimating Wales though - you are in good company ;)

Out of interest, who do you think is the player of the tournament so far? Surely not Cristiano "can't score from a free kick or from twelve fucking yards" Ronaldo?

I think Ronaldo's best is yet to come after yesterday's awakening and he'll end up winning it all for Portugal against either Spain or France in the final. I wouldn't bet the house against France. I don't think I have ever seen a team so heavily favoured (for good reason) to win one of these tournaments....possibly France in 2002 comes close. However, history has shown that teams this heavily favoured don't win in the end. Anyhow, that's a different debate.

To answer your question, Dimtri Payet and Marek Hamsik are the MVPs so far.

3 hours ago, ted said:

How much gentile and how much Jewish? ;)  Oy vey!

LOL, oh lord. I really messed that one up.

57 minutes ago, Ivanovski94 said:

Hahaha, Portugal wont win anything, their team is a bunch a individuals who bow down to an even bigger individual. Spain, France, Germany, Italy and Croatia are all better "teams" and more structured than portugal.

History has shown that when another poster on this forum has an opposing view to my own, that poster more than likely ends up in the wrong. I just want to make sure you're fully aware of what you're going up against before you go around a corner that can't be unturned. :D

Im usually not wrong in what i believe in so Im not bothered by your opinion. Portugal can still win versus these teams but they wont win a tournament and especially this euro. If they do,Ill be in shock though I will be happy for Cristiano. Ronaldo deserves it, takes the blame when they don't win but when he wins games for them it becomes team win.

Archived