Summer 2016 Transfers

Ruffian

I think you're right, unfortunately. My hope has been for Karl to develop into a regular MLS level utility defender, sort of like a Dan Gargan level of player. He's shown with Canada he can be useful, but I am afraid he will get stuck in NASL if he was to sign a permanent deal there. Not a great deal of mobility between MLS and the second tier. I would much rather him try his luck in Norway or Sweden.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

... Not a great deal of mobility between MLS and the second tier (NASL)...

Unfortunately, this is one of the biggest problems with soccer in North America. Rectify that situation and we have a decent pro soccer environment on hand - allowing players to move up and down, to suit their playing level over the course of their careers.

8 hours ago, king1010 said:

Average League One salary is around $100,000 US. 

Average Championship salary is $475,000 US. 

He's probably making above the league one average salary but not close to the championship average salary. I think he would sign in MLS for around $250,000 to $300,000. 

Thanks, did not realize the drop down was so great into League One. 

What you are saying about his salary sounds about right, which is why 300 grand for Caps would be a reasonable buy. 

On 6/21/2016 at 7:50 PM, Edwin said:

Peter Schaad just reported on the TSN 1410 pregame show that David Edgar is on trial with the Whitecaps.  

Awesome! Edgar would add some much needed quality to a back line that has surprisingly lost the plot this this year.

On 6/22/2016 at 0:04 AM, shermanator said:

Have to think that Edgar would be an upgrade on Parker and Kah, and would slot into a starting CB role beside Waston. Parker provides good depth for the games that Waston and Edgar miss due to international duty and Waston getting suspended. Kah is really a liability at this point IMO and has to be done given that he's 36 in July.

I don't think he takes Parkers spot. If Waston keeps getting red carded literally every 3rd game he plays, I can see Edgar taking his spot though.

At CB I realistically see Edgar eating up the minutes Kah's currently getting. More than anything though, his versatility would be a huge asset. He can play CB, DM and RB, and has a proven track record at a reasonably high level. Since Gersh left we don't really have any other proven pure DMs, and hopefully he's inclusion would see the end the "Smith experiment". I don't think he earns a clear starting spot, but probably sees a decent number of starts and PT pushing the current starters at these three positions, filling in for cards (i.e. Waston), injuries and call ups, and coming on as a late game sub to see out a lead.

Overall, it would be an extremely solid pick up for the Caps.

14 hours ago, Obinna said:

I think you're right, unfortunately. My hope has been for Karl to develop into a regular MLS level utility defender, sort of like a Dan Gargan level of player. He's shown with Canada he can be useful, but I am afraid he will get stuck in NASL if he was to sign a permanent deal there. Not a great deal of mobility between MLS and the second tier. I would much rather him try his luck in Norway or Sweden.

1. Good move for Carl as he wasn't going to get a lot of minutes with the other defenders back. Let's be honest, when he was in the line-up Redbulls were dropping a lot of points. Not down to him alone of course but still. 

2. Nothing wrong with playing in NASL, as I still think the level is above USL. Let's see how he does there and maybe climb back on the ladder.

3. Not a lot of mobility indeed. But that is entirely on MLS' part, they don't want it. MLS wants their players to be cheap and to be able to control them. Which is why I think NASL is more appealing to players. BUT, if there's some kid in NASL who's reaping havoc, surely one of the MLS-teams will go for it. Until now, most take their chances with the draft (cheap and potential), MLS-veterans (cheap) or foreigners (sometimes cheap). 

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I expect a bit more knowledge about Canadian players from the Canadian MLS teams though

It could just be an assessment to make sure he hasn't dropped off a cliff. Dropping from the Championship to League 1 isn't a deal breaker, but if I was a manager I'd want a trial to make sure he isn't declining precipitously, as some players seem to do

14 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

It could just be an assessment to make sure he hasn't dropped off a cliff. Dropping from the Championship to League 1 isn't a deal breaker, but if I was a manager I'd want a trial to make sure he isn't declining precipitously, as some players seem to do

He's played plenty of international football with Canada this year, and against some good competition. Just get video of the matches?

25 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

He's played plenty of international football with Canada this year, and against some good competition. Just get video of the matches?

He's played 5 matches for Canada this year including 2 in midifield (maybe 3, I can't remember if he played at CB or DM when he came on in El Salvador). If you want to sign him as a centre back, you can only count on 3 matches. Plus, you want to see how he fits with his potential teammates. And his two starts at centre back were against Belize.  Unless you are believing the Maestro and Mad Bull hype and think that "killer" Deon McCaulay who couldn't cut it in NASL is good enough competition.

On June 24, 2016 at 3:09 AM, Blackdude said:

He's played 5 matches for Canada this year including 2 in midifield (maybe 3, I can't remember if he played at CB or DM when he came on in El Salvador). If you want to sign him as a centre back, you can only count on 3 matches. Plus, you want to see how he fits with his potential teammates. And his two starts at centre back were against Belize.  Unless you are believing the Maestro and Mad Bull hype and think that "killer" Deon McCaulay who couldn't cut it in NASL is good enough competition.

I miss those guys

This article from yesterday makes me think Edgar signing with the Whitecaps is around the corner:

http://vancouversun.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/canadian-international-david-edgar-could-soon-be-a-whitecap

“I had a good chat with the gaffer,” said Edgar. “He’s very interested in me and we’ll see where it goes from here. It was a good look into how the whole club works.

Edgar was clear, though, that a move to Canada, to MLS, would be with two things in mind.

“It would be to win trophies and build the game in Canada,” he said. “Canada Soccer is dear to my heart. If I can do anything to promote the game in Canada I will.

I think we have to talk off our Voyageur goggles here when talking about whether or not Edgar should walk into Vancouver without a trial. Let's face it, the MLS has grown in terms of it's quality and gone are the days where a career Championship level player like Edgar is good enough to walk right into the team, like Darren O'Dea did several seasons ago. I don't believed had a trial with TFC if memory serves me correct.

That being said, I think the Whitecaps will sign him if that's what Edgar wants. Him and Kendell Watson would make a fantastic CB partnership and I think it will be Parker who has the battle on his hands, rather than the Costa Rican international. I think Edgar also gives Robinson RB cover, with Aird and Smith both on loan. In the end, I hope to see Smith return to Saprissa and Aird stay in BC.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I think we have to talk off our Voyageur goggles here when talking about whether or not Edgar should walk into Vancouver without a trial. Let's face it, the MLS has grown in terms of it's quality and gone are the days where a career Championship level player like Edgar is good enough to walk right into the team, like Darren O'Dea did several seasons ago. I don't believed had a trial with TFC if memory serves me correct.

That's true, but I guess it kinda depends case-by-case. Didn't Fraser Aird basically walk into the 'Caps starting XI after being a bench player in the Scottish 2nd tier?

11 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

That's true, but I guess it kinda depends case-by-case. Didn't Fraser Aird basically walk into the 'Caps starting XI after being a bench player in the Scottish 2nd tier?

Not to my knowledge. He spent basically all of pre-season camp with the Whitecaps, which gave Carl Robinson plenty of time to evaluate. It is true that he was officially signed in January, but that doesn't mean he walked into the Caps' starting line up - he earned it. 

I get what you mean though, as Vancouver did make a commitment to him before a trial took place. However, that commitment was a loan, with Edgar this is a buy. There is a lot more risk (and reward), so it's apples and oranges. 

3 hours ago, shermanator said:

Sounds like Ricketts signing with TFC is imminent. TFC supporters don't seem too happy about the idea.

To be honest, I'd rather Haber. If he's coming to play striker, I would rather Hamilton get the minutes as he's done so well. If it's to play with wingers again, meh. If it's to play RB, sure, but he'll be depth. Haber would probably cost the same and address our clear need for a target man if Vanney keeps demanding playing with high balls to a 5'4 atomic ant

Archived