Hamilton CPL Supporters Thread

-Hammer-

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a quick update on social media and how I plan on managing Battalion updates:

Twitter - Day to day stuff, photos etc

Facebook - Photos & events

Email - Major updates or events.

For the most important updates, all social medias will be updated, but the sure fire way to not miss anything is to register your

email at http://bartonbattalion.ca/ where I can send out more long winded updates (like for the league announcement etc). Thanks all

13 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

this is somewhat out of nowhere, but I was talking to my buddy, he said he did a marketing paper about basically urinal advertisements.  long and short was that they're extremely cost effective(captive audience etc etc) - I think this would be the ideal use of the hammers(assuming people are placing them)

I'd rather be taking a piss on the Fury logo:lol:

9 minutes ago, marauder01 said:

Crowd Source: Looking at running a fundraising soccer trivia night or a tour of Collective Arts as a group. Any preferences? Both? Let me know, gonna try and get things set up for January.

Both sound fun, off hand I think collective arts would get more people out. If you want, I can extend an invitation to the group organizing in KW. It'd be good to help build connections, and I would bet their group ends up throwing their weight behind Hamilton until the day something gets set up in KWC

1 minute ago, Complete Homer said:

Both sound fun, off hand I think collective arts would get more people out. If you want, I can extend an invitation to the group organizing in KW. It'd be good to help build connections, and I would bet their group ends up throwing their weight behind Hamilton until the day something gets set up in KWC

I'm meeting with them on the 10th - all CanPL fans are invited.

• 2 weeks later...

So, is it time to start writing our own songs? I gave it a go, based off of an old work song called "Lowlands Away" that can work well as a call-response. It's a slow tempo, so not a real pump-up song. Italics indicate the crowd's response, but if people knew it well enough, it would work best for everyone to sing all lines.

Some of the verses could use a little work, open to suggestions. Only real rule is that it is an ABAB rhyme scheme, with two four syllable segments for the speaker, and the repetation of "Ambitious City". In particular, I like the line "with golden kits...and steely will..." and wanted to to create a picture of taking the field while bracing against a cold Canadian wind, but had a hard time fitting that within the meter

Also, "A club for us...Hamilton's right" is a bit awkward. Trying to find a way to talk about the dream of our own club, but the last word has to rhyme with "night"

Sort of trying to capture the idea that the lead up to this team and league has never felt real, and it coming to fruition is like waking up from a daydream.

"I dreamed a dream     the other night

Ambitious. Am-bit-ious Cit-ty-eee

A club for us     Hamilton's right

Ambitious City

With golden kits     and steely will

Ambitious. Am-bit-ious Ci-ty-ee

They took the field     and braved the chill

Ambitious City

And in that dream    we did march on

Ambitious. Am-bit-ious Ci-ty-eee

The Barton Street     Battallion

Ambitious City

And then awoke    to hear the cry

Ambitious. Ambitious Ci-ty-eee

Yes we will sing    for this very

Ambitious City.

I haven't written sheet music yet, but here is a link to a youtube video with the tune. Apologies for the link to a video game, there's a lot of variations, and this one is the closest I could find to the modification I am thinking of. Only difference is that "Ambitious city" is 5 syllables to compared to 4 for "Lowlands Away", and that this song only has 4 verses

13 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

So, is it time to start writing our own songs? I gave it a go, based off of an old work song called "Lowlands Away" that can work well as a call-response. It's a slow tempo, so not a real pump-up song. Italics indicate the crowd's response, but if people knew it well enough, it would work best for everyone to sing all lines.

Some of the verses could use a little work, open to suggestions. Only real rule is that it is an ABAB rhyme scheme, with two four syllable segments for the speaker, and the repetation of "Ambitious City". In particular, I like the line "with golden kits...and steely will..." and wanted to to create a picture of taking the field while bracing against a cold Canadian wind, but had a hard time fitting that within the meter

Also, "A club for us...Hamilton's right" is a bit awkward. Trying to find a way to talk about the dream of our own club, but the last word has to rhyme with "night"

Sort of trying to capture the idea that the lead up to this team and league has never felt real, and it coming to fruition is like waking up from a daydream.

"I dreamed a dream     the other night

Ambitious. Am-bit-ious Cit-ty-eee

A club for us     Hamilton's right

Ambitious City

With golden kits     and steely will

Ambitious. Am-bit-ious Ci-ty-ee

They took the field     against the chill

Ambitious City

And in that dream    we did march on

Ambitious. Am-bit-ious Ci-ty-eee

The Barton Street     Battallion

Ambitious City

And then awoke    to hear the cry

Ambitious. Ambitious Ci-ty-eee

Yes we will sing    for this very

Ambitious City.

I haven't written sheet music yet, but here is a link to a youtube video with the tune. Apologies for the link to a video game, there's a lot of variations, and this one is the closest I could find to the modification I am thinking of. Only difference is that "Ambitious city" is 5 syllables to compared to 4 for "Lowlands Away", and that this song only has 4 verses

diggin it.

On 22/12/2016 at 0:09 PM, Kent said:

Would fight or plight work instead of right? I don't think plight works, but fight might be OK.

Or maybe you could change "night" to "day" and then make it "Hamilton's way".

But I suck at this. You're doing a great job.

Hm I'll think about that. I like the idea of using "fight" 

Do you think  "A club for us, Hamilton's fight" works better? Or is there a way you'd phrase that differently 

(Hopefully this suggestion is seen as adding an idea, and not trying to take away from the other great song ideas) I heard Fields of Gold by Sting today and thought it could be a good sound for a large group to sing. I guess the Fields of Gold is what jumped out at me first thinking about possible team colours. I would say there are some good opportunities to adapt the lyrics too, to make it Hamilton's.  Just a thought, anyway. 

1 hour ago, maccaliam said:

(Hopefully this suggestion is seen as adding an idea, and not trying to take away from the other great song ideas) I heard Fields of Gold by Sting today and thought it could be a good sound for a large group to sing. I guess the Fields of Gold is what jumped out at me first thinking about possible team colours. I would say there are some good opportunities to adapt the lyrics too, to make it Hamilton's.  Just a thought, anyway. 

Not at all. It'd be pretty sad if we only had one song :)

Another song that could be considered, though it's slow-paced, is "Shine" by Junkhouse. Junkhouse, fronted by Tom Wilson, is from Hamilton. The song is his ode to the Ambitious City. Sorry, I don't know how to copy the video here. There's also a CBC interview with Tom about the song.

Archived