Hamilton CPL Supporters Thread

-Hammer-

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Tigers said:

Mistake imo. Black and Gold means Hamilton,  especially with the Bulldogs switching to it.

Big one. Trying to be too different. Just doesn't make sense, when your team is "partners" and shares a facility with the Ti-Cats. 

Let's hope I'm wrong. Because some of these teams seem a little to gimmicky. 

On 6/28/2018 at 9:41 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

When you have a tenth of the population of the other country and the sport has a reasonably comparable level of popularity in both countries, it's not reasonable to expect it to. It's like Scotland and England, basically, but with the added wrinkle of having the Old Firm already entrenched in the English system taking about half the potential fanbase away. 

I think Wales will end up being the better comparison.

5 hours ago, nolando said:

I think Wales will end up being the better comparison.

No chance.. the Welsh league to English league is like L1O to MLS or the ECHL to NHL.

CPL to MLS will have less of a gap than SPL to EPL, that’s no question.  

If you meant the comparison simply because they have a few teams in the English system then sure but Welsh league is well below even usl. I’d say at the current moment the comparison is accurate.. where we have some top level teams and our domestic level is L1O/Quebec. 

Hope this means we are indeed going with a different colour scheme.  As much as I see plenty of advantages for cross-marketing between franchises and using TiCats connection to reach casual fans, I'd really like the 2 franchises to remain very distinct.  Let's have our own colours and build our own idenity, not just be known in Hamilton as the Baby TiCats.

39 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Hope this means we are indeed going with a different colour scheme.  As much as I see plenty of advantages for cross-marketing between franchises and using TiCats connection to reach casual fans, I'd really like the 2 franchises to remain very distinct.  Let's have our own colours and build our own idenity, not just be known in Hamilton as the Baby TiCats.

That is why the black as a base remains good, because repeating black never looks like copying (as with white). Then a colour that is not the TiCats trademark, but still suggestive of metallic. I'm quite impressed actually.

As nice as these CFL types are, and as much as some teams are being pampered by their bigger CFL brothers, the fact remains: CFL is a nothing sport internationally and merely parochial in Canada, while soccer is global and is, in fact, the dominant sport in the world.

I don't think that in Winnipeg or Hamilton they should be presenting their soccer ambitions as minor accessories to the CFL for offer.

8 hours ago, Keegan said:

...CPL to MLS will have less of a gap than SPL to EPL, that’s no question... 

Roll on people finally having to deal with objective reality rather than stating what they want to happen as an article of faith like this, because that's still very much in question at this point given we still don't know what the salary cap will be and how many imports of reasonable quality teams will be able to sign. Heavily domestic roster content and relatively low budgets are a recipe for a level of soccer that a lot of people that are more used to watching the Premiersip, Champions League or World Cup games with multiple camera angles and replays will find difficult to watch live in the stadium. Hopefully there's enough of a market for it in 2019 for revenues to be reasonably close to expenses in most cities in a sustainable way given how big crowds will need to be to make the numbers work on 25-30 full time playing and coaching contracts.  

So you think there’s a chance that there will be more of a gap between CPL and MLS than a league that is essentially League 1/2 and the EPL?  That’s fine but it really isn’t an outrageous hypothesis on my part.. pretty reasonable and safe based on figures that have been thrown around.  The SPL is nowhere near the EPL.. there isn’t a team that would avoid relegation. Some SPL teams have USL budgets.. you can’t tell me you really believe MLS teams will have 100x the budget of CPL teams..

Roll on people who assume the MLS is anywhere near comparable to the EPL.

45 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Roll on people finally having to deal with objective reality rather than stating what they want to happen as an article of faith like this,

Funny, I was kind of wondering how you were dealing with the league...gasp...actually happening

The confidence to be so condescending after being so wrong constantly is frankly astounding. 

One of the ways CPL can and needs to differentiate itself is with colour. In Canada, that means getting away from the traditional use of blue, red and black. 

The CPL logo went a bit in a different way. So did York9 and Valour FC. Hamilton is apparently going with some sort of orange and grey/graphite which will make it the first pro team in Canada going with the post 90s computer revolution modern look. 

1 hour ago, red card said:

One of the ways CPL can and needs to differentiate itself is with colour. In Canada, that means getting away from the traditional use of blue, red and black. 

The CPL logo went a bit in a different way. So did York9 and Valour FC. Hamilton is apparently going with some sort of orange and grey/graphite which will make it the first pro team in Canada going with the post 90s computer revolution modern look. 

The full colour CPL logo is, to date, by far the worst out there, not as good as the team logos and crests we've seen. It is very poor, it falls apart, it does not hold, does not stick and the colours are poorly defined. It is a bit of an eco-friendly cliché. In a single colour it is a bit better as I see it. 

I think they had to do it earlier, and just did it, with less attention paid to it, and now the teams are out there trying to outdo each other and the results seem to be a bit better.

Fortunately the logo for a league is far less important that what the team colours and art end up being.

15 hours ago, Keegan said:

...Some SPL teams have USL budgets.. you can’t tell me you really believe MLS teams will have 100x the budget of CPL teams...

Now you are moving the goalposts. A gap would normally be defined by the top end of the lower division in the comparision and the bottom end of the higher one. That means comparing the Old Firm clubs to the likes of Bournemouth and Watford. Premiership broadcast rights money inflates the latter two way beyond their natural level in financial terms.

Take that away and Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs would be readily comparable to a club like Bournemouth and the Old Firm at the very minimum would be natural peers of the likes of Everton and Newcastle. In a Canadian context, TFC, the Impact and Whitecaps are already with their natural peers in a USSF sanctioned so CanPL has lost the teams that would be comparable in status to the Old Firm for this type of comparison.

For now the best bet for the Aberdeen, Hibs or Hearts vs Bournemouth type of comparison in a CanPL vs MLS context is the Columbus Crew, but their days are numbered, and beyond that you can't directly compare budgets as a gauge of probable on field quality if it is going to be spent mainly on domestic player pools of differing quality in depth with restrictions placed on the number of imports. The top end of the SPL doesn't deliberately hobble itself in that sort of way to give jobs mainly to Scots due to a stated goal of developing more players for Scotland's national team.

20 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Heavily domestic roster content and relatively low budgets are a recipe for a level of soccer that a lot of people that are more used to watching the Premiersip, Champions League or World Cup games with multiple camera angles and replays will find difficult to watch live in the stadium.  

And yet people do this in North American MLS markets. 

Archived