Hamilton CPL Supporters Thread

-Hammer-

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, so I've been following this for a long time,  not necessarily as a soccer fan but more as a sports branding and business need, and Canadian and Hamilton sports fan in general. 

My girlfriend used to play soccer until the end of high school, but hasn't had much to do with it since. I had mentioned to her before that a league was starting and that Hamilton was getting a team. She said "oh cool" but not much else. 

I sent her the launch email,  and her immediate response was OMG can we buy tickets, love the logo (wtf orange tho), awesome name, etc etc.

So it may go over a lot better with the general public than those on here. 

We're #389, btw :P

As far as the name, I love Forge. It's a great name that is both a tribute to the Steel industry in the Hammer, to the creativity of our arts scene and it's especially great if you play up an Academy aspect of the team. It's simple, it's centers on the whole point of the team and the league as a whole is, to give us the tools to compete on an international level and build the game in this country. It's also world's better then Founders which was god awful for multiple different reasons I stated earlier.

As far as the colors, I'm glad they are going to have one game a year running black and gold, and frankly hope they co-brand those colors as the alt kits for the team (or keeper kits) I can live with orange and grey, as I do feel grey is underused in sports. It also lets you walk that line between yellow and orange. Still Black, Gold and Grey would have been preferred in my eyes.

As far as the logo, the Hammer logo I love it, although why the sparks are on top of the hammer and not where the Hammer is smashing is a bit odd, but I think it's suppose to be an open forge in the background spewing fire, or sparks from a Hammer strike (from the wrong angle). As I said though, I like it, kinda also looks like a sun. I also like that they kept the Hammer, simple and clean, and while they couldn't resist giving meaning to the number of lines on the handle (each representing one of the amalgamated communities of Hamilton), it's simple enough an explanation to not get ridiculous.

The HF logo, I don't hate it, but I wouldn't say I love it either, and to be honest I'm seeing more and more cracks with it every day. I'm not usually a fan of using just a letter or two letters for your logo, because it's 1) boring 2) overdone 3) makes you look like a highschool or college team and 4) doesn't communicate your branding well. When I look at it, I think "Samoan Tribal Tatoo" not "Hamilton Forge Soccer" I'll be honest, part of me googled Klingon alphabet to see if someone pulled a prank, just for kicks. It's just kinda...there, if they don't put it on a shield with some words, I'd be concerned people would just think the logo is some kind of clothing line. Thankfully the alternate logo alleviates this somewhat.

I would have gone with a Hammer smashing an Anvil with golden sparks coming out on it, on a black shield back drop so the sparks also look like stars, but I can't complain as I can't design it myself.

Anyways, I ended up with #140

20 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Looks like sales are going very well:

Faster rate than Winnipeg now i think.

Winnipeg was at 850 at the 48 hour mark, so we will be able to compare the two this evening.  Seems like they are on track and It's great to see solid numbers there.

The Forge FC website link on the CPL site goes nowhere and the site listed on the Forge twitter account is a broken link (forgefootball.club).  Anyone know if the site down or is there a different web url?  I want to add a link for their site on the Red River Rising website where we link to all of the clubs and supporters.

I still don't like the logo, but not as much as before. The name is OK but not great, even though I understand the various meanings and how they relate to Hamilton/CPL. All of the CPL teams need to reach beyond the people who will ever see our postings here, so my wife's thoughts on name, logo, colours? She likes/loves them. So, maybe Hamilton CPL's onto something. The hardcore will be there. Forge's name/colours/branding will appeal to a broader swath of potential fans.

BTW, I'm member #677.

44 minutes ago, MrsC said:

The Forge FC website link on the CPL site goes nowhere and the site listed on the Forge twitter account is a broken link (forgefootball.club).  Anyone know if the site down or is there a different web url?  I want to add a link for their site on the Red River Rising website where we link to all of the clubs and supporters.

Looks like it it might just be me. The site does work for me when I switch browsers, though it still doesn't work for me in Chrome, even after clearing my cache. 

36 minutes ago, MrsC said:

Looks like it it might just be me. The site does work for me when I switch browsers, though it still doesn't work for me in Chrome, even after clearing my cache. 

My phone tries to put a www. on the front which takes me to a 'website not working' deadend.  Wondering how many other people might be having this issue and whether it might be slowing down sales at all.  I notified them via Twitter, they promised to look into it.

Yeah wrong forum blah blah blah.   But there are some comments on a rivalry with Hamilton that will involve charter buses of fans coming to each others games in the second part of the interview.  

Details of a World Cup Final viewing party held Sunday morning in Vaughan by the York 9 club.

I got an interview with Ben Zayandehroudi the VP of Ticket Sales and Fan Services.
It answers a lot of questions of the stadium they're use for the first two years, ticket prices,
the number of Canadian players and building rivalries.

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/CPLF0715.htm

Archived