• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Suggestion:

If we get a Toronto CPL club and hopefully a revamped Varsity Stadium would be their home, they could be the "Chelsea" of Toronto.

Name suggestion : Yorkville FC

Stadium: Varsity

UnivToronto-Varsity01-615x461.jpg

Coat of arms

Yorkville-Coat-of-Arms-At-Yorkville-Fire

I feel like Yorkville FC is a surefire way to make everyone but the handful of people able to afford Yorkville hate the team. I do like the idea of a name centered on a region if Toronto though 

10 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I feel like Yorkville FC is a surefire way to make everyone but the handful of people able to afford Yorkville hate the team. I do like the idea of a name centered on a region if Toronto though 

True, but they can afford higher prices, just like the folks near Chelsea :D.

Besides, Varsity geographically is very desirable and easy for surrounding shoppers, citizens and tourist to buy a ticket and check out the game as it`s right at Bay near both ends of line 1.

5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

True, but they can afford higher prices, just like the folks near Chelsea :D.

Besides, Varsity geographically is very desirable and easy for surrounding shoppers, citizens and tourist to buy a ticket and check out the game as it`s right at Bay near both ends of line 1.

You might be overestimating the number of people who actually live in Yorkville :P

3 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

You might be overestimating the number of people who actually live in Yorkville :P

As of 2011 Census of Ward 27 Toronto Centre-Rosedale which includes Yorkville:

• Population of 78,670 a 13% increase from 2006
  • Median age is 37 years old (Toronto median age is 39 years old)
  • 20-34 years old constitutes the majority group age in the ward

Varsity being at St.George Station near Museum Station as well, the location makes it very convenient to attract people living within walking distance from a subway station, which would be in the ballpark of at least a million Torontonians.

5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

As of 2011 Census of Ward 27 Toronto Centre-Rosedale which includes Yorkville:

• Population of 78,670 a 13% increase from 2006
  • Median age is 37 years old (Toronto median age is 39 years old)
  • 20-34 years old constitutes the majority group age in the ward

Varsity being at St.George Station near Museum Station as well, the location makes it very convenient to attract people living within walking distance from a subway station, which would be in the ballpark of at least a million Torontonians.

Exactly, choosing a name that caters to 80000 people and alienates a couple million doesn't sound like sound business to me

But hey, this is the fantasy side of the CPL talk, do whatever you like :D

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

Exactly, choosing a name that caters to 80000 people and alienates a couple million doesn't sound like sound business to me

But hey, this is the fantasy side of the CPL talk, do whatever you like :D

It would be around 90k as of now but I don`t think it would alienate the rest of the city. Most Torontonians are proud of Yorkville and respects the area with U of T & the ROM being there as well near Queen`s Park. It`s highly Canadian content and easier access would attract fans regardless.

Besides, it opens the city for more clubs if you name them by areas.

Let TFC have Toronto FC in their name

CPL, like London`s Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, West Ham etc.. could have:

• Yorkville FC because of (location, location, location, the main 2 subway lines interlining next to the stadium) + $$$$$...or Queen`s Park?
  • North York or just York to attract York Region fans ( Population of York Region + North York = 1.6M as of 2011). The stadium could be at York University (revamped) which as of 2017 will be served by 2 new subway stations (York University and Pioneer Village while connecting to Vaughan Centre & Highway 407 stations in York). The Finch LRT will connect to that end of the line as of 2021 from Humber College in Etobicoke to the New Finch West subway station.

If I start talking about Scarborough (700k) and Etobicoke (400K), i`ll be accused of trolling :D. Ok, I can feel the skeptics itching to call me an heretic. haha, just throwing numbers out there and my view on how different soccer is compared to other sports markets on how local it is. Anyway, we`re just having fun here but I`m kind of serious about a York team playing from York University... down the road of course

9 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

whats wrong with just york fc?

I`d save York FC for North York and York Region area. Both areas could identify and adopt that team playing out of York University stadium and both areas have a total of 1.6M citizens. As of 2017-2018, the access will be even easier for local residents in North York and York Region to get to the stadium and people from North West Etobicoke as of 2021.

f6_tysse.gifLIST_7FinchWestLRTfacts_Content.jpgSheppard_Line.png

***Of course the Sheppard subway that can rapidly move people from the east towards York University

Yorkville at Varsity Stadium would be for Downtown + Midtown Toronto + anyone near a subway station on Line 2 in both Etobicoke & Scarborough and line one from North York on both ends via GO trains at Union Station. That`s less than a 5 minute walk from the station making it an easy travel for anyone near in Toronto and those 2 lines converge at the heart of the area.

bloor_danforth_tunnel_construction.gif

31 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

you're saying this like you're sure it's a bad thing

Exactly! Hate sells :D. Most of London hates Chelsea but they still love to follow them in the hope their team will beat them! Or like in wrestling, a good heel who can get tons of heat will sell out arenas! It`s all about making people feels something!!! :lol:

If they all hate you, you must be doing something right!

9 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I`d save York FC for North York and York Region area. Both areas could identify and adopt that team playing out of York University stadium and both areas have a total of 1.6M citizens. As of 2017-2018, the access will be even easier for local residents in North York and York Region to get to the stadium and people from North West Etobicoke as of 2021.

f6_tysse.gifLIST_7FinchWestLRTfacts_Content.jpgSheppard_Line.png

***Of course the Sheppard subway that can rapidly move people from the east towards York University

Yorkville at Varsity Stadium would be for Downtown + Midtown Toronto + anyone near a subway station on Line 2 in both Etobicoke & Scarborough and line one from North York on both ends via GO trains at Union Station. That`s less than a 5 minute walk from the station making it an easy travel for anyone near in Toronto and those 2 lines converge at the heart of the area.

bloor_danforth_tunnel_construction.gif

oh okay.  Excuse my ignorance.  I've only ever been to the Toronto airport!  haha Just kinda figured everything "york" was sort of in the same area.

7 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Sorry for the massive business case using stats... I just wanted to see a Yorkville shield :unsure:

lol all good.  Don't worry I'm not going anywhere.  My list of to-dos is growing every day though haha :D

Haha, no offence, but I thought you were trolling with the Yorkville idea. This would be the most hated club in Canada. I get mad just thinking about the possibility. I'd also be skeptical about the numbers within this 80,000 that would be interested in soccer (especially considering how recent studies have shown that soccer fans relative to other sports tend to be more working class [probably reflects the age of the demographics]). 

That said, a York FC representing North York will have me jump on board right away. Would be amazing to have a team in the nieghbourhood.

2 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Haha, no offence, but I thought you were trolling with the Yorkville idea. This would be the most hated club in Canada. I get mad just thinking about the possibility. I'd also be skeptical about the numbers within this 80,000 that would be interested in soccer (especially considering how recent studies have shown that soccer fans relative to other sports tend to be more working class [probably reflects the age of the demographics]). 

That said, a York FC representing North York will have me jump on board right away. Would be amazing to have a team in the nieghbourhood.

I think most of downtown and midtown toronto would go see a Yorkville club. Don't forget how easy it is to get there by subway, meaning fans within walking distance of a subway station would find it attractive to go to a game on top of the potential curious tourists walking on Bloor West hearing the cheers.

Every league needs a black sheep. Everyone hates the Bruins, the Yankees, the old Miami Heat, Chelsea. Most of Canada already dislike Toronto, might as well embrace the "black sheep" title and call yourself Yorkville and throw loads of cash at Hutchinson ?

2 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

As for North York + York Région embracing a "York FC" team, I strongly believe it would work.

Toronto as a political drama history of "Downtown" vs "suburbs" where they feel they are being snub for living north of Eglinton Avenue (some would argue St.Clair). I could see Scarborough and Etobicoke embracing York FC over Yorkville representing the downtown core

6 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I think most of downtown and midtown toronto would go see a Yorkville club. Don't forget how easy it is to get there by subway, meaning fans within walking distance of a subway station would find it attractive to go to a game on top of the potential curious tourists walking on Bloor West hearing the cheers.

Every league needs a black sheep. Everyone hates the Bruins, the Yankees, the old Miami Heat, Chelsea. Most of Canada already dislike Toronto, might as well embrace the "black sheep" title and call yourself Yorkville and throw loads of cash at Hutchinson ?

I agree that there would be traction with a club at Varsity, I just mean the marketing of the club as Yorkville. 

But I don't disagree that every league needs a club to hate :) You just managed to find the most hated neighbourhood in the most hated city in Canada

Toronto-map-labeled.jpg

I think you could make a case that calling it York FC would still give the feel of suburbs vs downtown?

again, not from there so not really an expert, but just looking at this it gives me that impression anyways.  Call me crazy but I like the idea of making it more inclusive than just North York.

Like with BMO being downtown, I think it would be cool as you said @Ansem to play up the downtown vs suburbs vibe, and with the three York suburbs being central(between scar and etobicoke) York FC being smack dab in the middle would fit well with this mentality. 

Realistically, off the bat, there will be only one CPL team in Toronto, it makes sense to make it as inclusive(while still having an attractive marketing angle) as possible, no?

3 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Also, I realize this isn't Canadian, but I was wondering if anyone had ever been to Burlington, Vermont?  It's really close to the border, and as a Big Bernie Sanders fan, I was thinking of trying my hand at a crest for them.

I have, but only as a child. All I remember is that there was a teddy bear factory, and it's fairly close to Thunder Road Speedbowl (which is a pretty nice little short track up on a mountain, with a steep grandstand and a great (loud) sound when asphalt modifieds are whipping around it).

Archived