Impact offseason 2015-16

Blackdude

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this going on and we didn't mention the leaks on the Impact's new 2016 home jersey - possibly black and blue stripes again. This means more Drogba shirts sold. Not to mention an end to the solid blue Chelsea-ish jersey - no coincidence.  I believe they'll be showcasing them quite shortly at an event. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

I'd like to know if possible to get in contact with the creative department of the Impact. I think a good third jersey would be a copy of the Inter Milan Red Cross shirt but just add transparent Montreal symbols in each corner: fleur de lys, English rose, Irish shamrock, Scottish thistle. It would make for a cool Montreal identity - the province can have its shirt back the next season. And/Or possibly copy AC Milans recent crest yet with the Montreal coat of arms. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

They are unveiling the jersey on Thursday at the Metropolis theatre. First there is a season ticket holder meeting and then the jersey reveal open to the public.

Unfortunately from the sneak peaks they've been showing i don't think that the jersey has the black strips we all want. Looks like it is going to be a plain blue again but hopefully I'm wrong.

I don't think we'll be getting a third jersey any time soon. I'm pretty sure it was announced a few years ago that MLS didn't want teams to have 3 jerseys anymore. It's a shame because the black and blue one we had has definitely been the best jersey we've had in MLS. Also I don't think anyone working for the Impact besides maybe Saputo has a big say in what the jersey looks like. I think Adidas designs them.

2 hours ago, mtlfan said:

I was so happy last year we did not see those Ugly Black and Blue stripe jerseys! The White is the best one by far in my opinion. Black has no place on any uniform.

Really?!? Thats the first time I hear about anyone not liking the black and blue jerseys! Personally I love a nice black kit! What I find weird is that they try to market "bleu blanc noir" but there is no black in the current kits.

2 hours ago, farrelld said:

Really?!? Thats the first time I hear about anyone not liking the black and blue jerseys! Personally I love a nice black kit! What I find weird is that they try to market "bleu blanc noir" but there is no black in the current kits.

True, I also like the blk & blue striped jerseys like most people I talked to.

I like that they have the four symbols of our city there instead of just the lys. The story behind "The four stars" symbolism  representing the four emblems on the civic flag I never bought it. Always thought it was a secret way of recognizing the pre MLS days when the club won 3 Championships and one V Cup via Nutralite tournament. They should just get rid of it - I've always found the logo to be a cluster mish mash and non symmetrical. 

On 2016-02-09 at 1:40 AM, Moldy9 said:

I'd like to know if possible to get in contact with the creative department of the Impact. I think a good third jersey would be a copy of the Inter Milan Red Cross shirt but just add transparent Montreal symbols in each corner: fleur de lys, English rose, Irish shamrock, Scottish thistle. It would make for a cool Montreal identity - the province can have its shirt back the next season. And/Or possibly copy AC Milans recent crest yet with the Montreal coat of arms. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

They can only rip off Inter Milan so many times... this would be a bit much, even given the similarities in the cities flags. 

As for their new kit, predictable, and really when you think about it, shameful.  They capitalized on the idea that fans would buy their first kit, so they put out a plain blue one, and now have really changed things up.  I actually like the blue and black stripes, and expected they'd do this from the get go, but this is a much different image than just a blue top.

On 2013-03-17 at 9:05 AM, RJB said:

IMFC wore their third jersey last night vs. TFC, and I couldn't help think that soon enough, this will become their primary jersey. I think teams have a complete jersey strategy, whereby they know that fans will buy the first seasons jersey, and so they just put one out, and knowing in the next few years they'll put out a better one. I think of the Impact, who have black and blue stripes in their logo, but then didn't have a shirt like that. Similarly the Whitecaps will likely soon put out a retro jersey, and fans will eat it up. I'm sure this was the plan all along.

And the Whitecaps will do this too.  How long until we see them revert back to their original blue?  It's very disappointing, because a jersey should only have subtle changes year upon year.  Moving to stripes is a major change, one they should have just started this way.

Obviously it's all about making money but that's not just the Impact or MLS. Some people just gotta have the latest shirt. At least MLS has like a two year window. In BPL and lots of leagues in the world every year they're coming out with new kits/styles. What I like about it too is that it's not a cookie cutter for all teams. There are some unique touches to various kits. I'll really like it (but it won't happen) if a brand was able to sponsor a team so not everyone wore adidas but that's big money for the league and that's how they do business in NA sports. 

I think we underestimate how the shirt marketing people think, I have over the years. People will put on shirts you would never imagine, and kids are often first to want the latest, regardless of tradition or the like. You could have a pink second jersey, or lime green, or a mix, and they'd buy it. I have been shocked by shirt proposals over the years at Barça, which obviously sells a lot, and then you see fans buy it. And the sponsor logo hardly ever makes a difference, you could hate the company or what it represents, and it would not matter.

Mind you, I think Inter got into problems with the Latin cross playing in Turkey, one of the reasons they have not insisted on it is the non-Christian market I believe. Another thing is the crest itself.

Eric Miller traded to Colorado for a draft pick and allocation. Apparently this was necessary to do the Shipp trade. Miller was a decent prospect and may develop into a decent MLS back but not a great talent either so not that big of a less. Shipp although he plays at a different position is definitely a better player both currently and in future prospects. Should also lead to Tissot getting more time at left back.

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/post/2016/02/14/impact-acquires-general-allocation-money-and-2018-mls-superdraft-first-round-pick.

49 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Eric Miller traded to Colorado for a draft pick and allocation. Apparently this was necessary to do the Shipp trade. Miller was a decent prospect and may develop into a decent MLS back but not a great talent either so not that big of a less. Shipp although he plays at a different position is definitely a better player both currently and in future prospects. Should also lead to Tissot getting more time at left back.

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/post/2016/02/14/impact-acquires-general-allocation-money-and-2018-mls-superdraft-first-round-pick.

I saw a tweet from Nick Sabetti or some other media that said the Impact weren't done yet. Hopefully they add another offensive piece. They have good defensive depth.

7 hours ago, Grizzly said:

In your opinion how do you think the Shipp acquisition affects the depth chart with regards to Bekker?

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

In your opinion how do you think the Shipp acquisition affects the depth chart with regards to Bekker?

I don't think it changes anything. They play different positions. Bekker has been used centrally when he has played for Montreal and Shipp is  bringing wide depth to replace Mapp/Duka. 

Archived