Impact offseason 2015-16

Blackdude

On January 8, 2016 at 11:05 PM, Grizzly said:

A few changes to the Impact coaching staff the most notable of which is Concina leaving and returning to Italy to work as a scout for Joey's other team, Bologna

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/post/2016/01/07/impact-announces-his-coaching-staff

Concina is a big loss imo but it sounds like he had to leave for personal reasons so it's understandable  I'm glad they're promoting from within hopefully this helps academy kids get more of a chance in the first team. 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Toje said:

Another article about the supporter scene in Montreal.... also in Czech.

http://lfhr.antifa.cz/?p=112

I have no idea who they are, and I don't want to get into the politics, but it is interesting to see another article about the Impact in Czech.

That one seems to be a Czech translation of a Russian article: http://avtonom.org/news/intervyu-s-chlenom-fanatskoy-firmy-front-commun-montreal-fk-monreal-impakt-kanada

latest news from Vincent Destouches (TVA's guy for the Impact) translated from his tweets in French:

• negotiations for Cabrera have been positive
  • no concrete offers made for Oyongo,
  • Tissot will start out as a defender probably LB this year
  • Jeanine (panama d-mid) will be in camp on trial but not R.Miller,
  • discussions about bringing in another winger (not as a DP),
  • IMFC made a better offer to Mapp,
  • Duka not coming back,
  • Crepeau impressed by Bologna,
  • Porter might not be ready for the start of the season

Also being reported in Europe that IMFC are targeting 3 players Robert Acquafresca (Bologna), Carrillo (Monaco), Ontivero (Galatasaray)

Pirlo making the type of comment Drogba should be making if he has any character.

"Many teams approached me over the past few weeks, but I am not planning to go back on the decision I made a few months ago. It is also a matter of respect toward those who invested in me."

http://www.nycfc.com/post/2016/01/15/new-york-city-fcs-andrea-pirlo-discusses-upcoming-2016-season-italian-publication

And I will admit while I am not the biggest Duane Rollins fan, I got this link from his Twitter with a similar commentary and he is right on this one. Drogba's total silence on this matter is almost as disappointing as what seems to be a desire to leave the team and not fulfill the committments he made to both the team and its fans.

I thought that it was Drogba trying to get more money. That was it.

He's missing the first part of the camp where we'll be training on turf and perhaps he doesn't want to train on it and that's what it was about.

One name absent from the team is Alessandro Riggi who was injured and hasn't been cleared to return to training. I think it's sad for him because he's the most MLS-ready FC Montréal player.

Good stuff. I was more optimistic than most people and the media was just as bad as waving a white flag with their 10%. This was all a knee jerk reaction but once the dust settled all was good. Anyways not impressed how the Impact tweeted it's "out of our control" what? They expect sympathy from the fans??? It IS in your control. Don't just roll over and die! That statement came off really weak. Good job on Garber and his firm though. Enough with these guys thinking they can just do whatever they want: recently them getting the bottom end of the Lampard deal.  

As for Drogba how can someone be quiet and let the media do all the talking. Meh lost a little respect for the guy as I'm sure a lot of people feel. If there were no reports you'd think by his account (Twitter/FB) that nothing ever happened. 

I think the pessimism was justified as it all stemmed from the absolute silence from the man himself. When he came in addition to the goals he brought a lot of annoying things to the team (yeah I know the team needs as many fans as possible and money rules the game but when half the stadium is full of people who are not Impact fans, not even really soccer fans and not even really Drogba fans just people who want to see a star and experience the hype it is still irritating to a fan) but was starting to win me over by seeming to be a pretty good guy and dedicated to the team. On the other hand although there are certainly examples of players who fail to do even this, it is pretty easy to be a great guy when everyone loves you and is singing your praises. He is media savvy and I am sure will have some sort of good explanation/excuse but he really lost a lot of respect in my eyes and that is not the way to treat your team, teammates and particularly your fans. If he performs and scores like he did last year I will certainly appreciate his skill and the success he hopefully brings to the team but not sure he is going to be able to win back my respect as a person.

Because the Impact is missing Drogba, 5 players to international duty plus Romero due to a long-term injury, they will begin training camp with 7 Academy players. I would be surprised if any of them would make the team, and think that the team needs players to compete and they're cheaper than trialists.

I'm expecting at least 1 more move because the reason behind letting NRC go was to free up cap space for the next move.

But i agree nothing has really been done to improve any where on the field. Ontivero is replacing Mapp and Duka and I don't know much more about him. The attack didn't need improvement, maybe a bit more depth, at the start of the off season but now with Drogba there are still question marks about how he will play. we still need a center mid who can start every game and control games.

Only real additions to the team is the draft class and only 1 player has a contract already. Also there is only 1 roster spot left open so that could be a problem.

I liked how Joey responded to the media especially the part when asked if Chelsea would be welcome back at our training facilities. You could see the discontent in his face and gave quite a diplomatic answer. I agree with him that a club of Chelsea's stature would lead you to believe they have class but that appears not to be the case. Pretty low and primal of them to have done what they did going against policy. Someone said, not sure if it was here, that its not surprising considering its Abromovich. Far as I'm concerned Chelsea can take a jump in the contaminated part of the St Lawrence. Club non grata. 

Joey Saputo was pretty pissed in his interview. I also think the Impact (and MLS) were not willing to release him because it would set a precedent which they wanted to avoid at all costs. Drogba is going to go through the motions this year. I don`t think it will be good for team chemistry. This is what happens when you pin all your hopes on a 37 year old player. If/when he leaves, you have nothing as a backup. The Impact lived the same thing with Di Vaio. They have to start grooming players from their academy and let them play. I certainly hope Crepeau gets a chance this year. He has been with the team forever and has never had a chance to play.

4 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I'm not convinced a possibly bitter Drogba will be as motivated or play as well as he did last season.

I don't know why, it is not like the first time someone wanted to transfer out and did not. I think the interpretation that "a player is not released and is forced to fulfil a contract so he won't be motivated" is pretty weak, I find i tendentious--thousands of players each year would prefer to be somewhere else, try to put the pressure on, and come back and do what their contract says they should do. Many simply pretend to have this attitude perhaps influenced by an agent. 

Apart from that, I think Drogba is a competitor regardless and is not going to stop competing or scoring goals as part of a grudge, that is silly. It is not in his DNA. I mean, you think he is going to drag his ass around and be remembered for that when others who have done more than him in their careers (Kaka, Villa, both have won more) are working their butts off and show motivation even in weaker teams? Don't think so.

Another thing is if, now that rivals know him better, he has more probems scoring this year. Or if, being a year older, he actually does slow down.

In fact, on top of this he did not have a real offer from Chelsea, he was just making himself available just in case, a gesture to Abramovich, thinking about his future...but there was nothing really there and he knows it. Hiddink would not have wanted him I a pretty convinced, as I have argued here.

Did Drogba get a pay rise?  Maybe that is being kept hush hush so as to not set a precedent.

I could understand why he would want one... $3M a year for a top 3 player in the league who is a football legend is highway robbery.  Imagine how mad he (and his agent!) would be seeing a bum like Altidore making $4.5M.  Or even guys like Keane and Giovinco making millions more than him, he obviously must feel like he's owed a lot more... None of those players have or ever will achieve what he has.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Apart from that, I think Drogba is a competitor regardless and is not going to stop competing or scoring goals as part of a grudge, that is silly. It is not in his DNA. I mean, you think he is going to drag his ass around and be remembered for that when others who have done more than him in their careers (Kaka, Villa, both have won more) are working their butts off and show motivation even in weaker teams? Don't think so.

Andres Villas Boas might beg to differ with your faith in Drogba's unshakeable competitive spirit. 

Archived