Impact offseason 2015-16

Blackdude

So, I'll put a list of the players in the first post and will update once options, trades, draft pickups, releases, free agents, loans happened. 

Additions (ie players who weren't on the team last year) are in bold

2016 roster (for now):
GK: Bush Crépeau Kronberg 
CB: Ciman Lefèvre, Cabrera, Kyle Fisher
FB: Oyongo, Toia, Camara, Tissot
CM: Alexander Bekker Bernier Donadel Gagnon-Laparé Mallace
CAM/W: Oduro Piatti Romero, Venegas, Lucas Ontivero, Harry Shipp, Michael Salzar
ST: Drogba, Jackson-Hamel,  Porter

Substractions:
Cooper, Mapp, Duka, Reo-Coker, Miller
Loan (somewhere): Williams

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure at the start of the year when Cabrera joined it was announced that IMFC had the option to buy him for $1 million.

I don't know how much the club has to spend but I would buy him. He was really solid this year and is still young (23). Also if Ciman and Lefevre and maybe even Camara get called for international duty there isn't another CB on the roster. 

I think Cabrera should be brought back and maybe give Grant a contract so we have cover next year.

I didn't say put Cabrera on a DP contract, he made the minimum possible this year ( or that's what was posted). It was reported a transfer fee of $1 Million would force River Plate to sell him to Montreal. I think a contract around $70k - $100k would be reasonable for Cabrera.

Players with an option

Gagnon-Laparé..
Tissot

As a Fury fan I'd like if we got Tissot; he's a local guy (Gatineau) - I heard a rumour his dad works in the Parliament Buildings - and I think he's good enough to help the Fury stay near the top of the NASL. He'd likely get more minutes with Ottawa than with the Impact.

Gagnon-Laparé's mini-loan to Ottawa gave him a chance to play more but I didn't like what I saw; I think other Fury fans feel the same way. I felt no enthusiasm to want to extent that loan into 2016.

As a Fury fan I'd like if we got Tissot; he's a local guy (Gatineau) - I heard a rumour his dad works in the Parliament Buildings - and I think he's good enough to help the Fury stay near the top of the NASL. He'd likely get more minutes with Ottawa than with the Impact.

Gagnon-Laparé's mini-loan to Ottawa gave him a chance to play more but I didn't like what I saw; I think other Fury fans feel the same way. I felt no enthusiasm to want to extent that loan into 2016.

Tissot loaned out would make sense there isn't much room for him on the wing especially if Mapp and/or Duka come back. I don't think he has what it takes defensively right now to play LB. Although there was an interview with him where he said that he feels if he tries to make a living out of playing soccer it will be at LB.

JGL has really struggled this year after being s bright spot in the dark 2014 season, with talk of him going on loan to Bologna, every time he got on the field this year with IMFC or CanM23 he always seemed to disappoint. He even looked slow with FCMTL although I didn't watch too many of their games. Hopefully this year was a one off for him.

JGL was the worst player with both the u20s and u23s last year. I have no idea what any coach sees in him.

Tissot would be a good fit in the NASL.

Do the Impact have any kids who can make the step up any time soon? The only one I'm excited about is Ballou Tabla, but he's still very very young.

Do the Impact have any kids who can make the step up any time soon? The only one I'm excited about is Ballou Tabla, but he's still very very young.

Riggi's the only guy I can see signing in MLS next year. I still think that Tabla needs to show if he can do it in the USL before signing him to an MLS contract.

I would have said Grant but now it sounds like he's going to SKC's USL team with Dos Santos. Which is depressing from an IMFC perspective loosing one of our top young talents, but it could be good for him and Canada.

Check my USL team of the year! Mitchel Bringolf, Alessandro Riggi, Maxime Crepeau and Zachary Sukunda are all about B+ level prospects for the senior team. I wasn't hugely impressed with Grant although he does have the physical tools.

I saw your team of the year. I disagree with JGL and LBG. Before he got hurt, Ben McKendry was making a case for an MLS spot. 

Also, still not sold on Grant after watching the u23s. But maybe that's harsh.

Soccerpro, I already know you will disagree with this, so just ignore what I am about to say (we get it, you don't rate JGL, don't have to bring it up every time he is mentioned here or on Twitter)

I thought JGL was very good in the season finale against Atlanta. Played the destroyer role to a tee. Didn't get to see the other games he played for the Fury.

Crepeau is phenomenal, I don't know what the long term plan for him is, but he could go all the way if he keeps improving

I'd like him to be number 2 next year. Kronberg didn't sound too happy at the exit interviews and I can't really see him playing more next year unless Bush gets hurt. At Crepeau's exit interview it sounded like his goal is to be #2 next year and pretty much play the role that Kronberg was no happy with. 

Crepeau should be #2 next year getting the occasional league game and the Voyageur Cup games maybe a USL game or two. Question then becomes who comes in number 3. I'd go with the USL starter but that could be risky.

I'd like him to be number 2 next year. Kronberg didn't sound too happy at the exit interviews and I can't really see him playing more next year unless Bush gets hurt. At Crepeau's exit interview it sounded like his goal is to be #2 next year and pretty much play the role that Kronberg was no happy with. 

Crepeau should be #2 next year getting the occasional league game and the Voyageur Cup games maybe a USL game or two. Question then becomes who comes in number 3. I'd go with the USL starter but that could be risky.

Crepeau needs to play, he should be starting in USL, the Voyageurs Cup and be next in line in case of injury to Bush, not an ideal situation for finding a backup but a player his age needs to play to improve.

There are reports that Ivorian Siaka Tiene has signed with the Impact. A bit of a strange signing in that he is a left back and will be 34 by the time the season starts next year. Our current left back is Toia who is only 23, on minimum salary and was one of our best players last year. Unless we get a very good return on a trade I would be surprised to see him leave. Oyongo who played right back was also very good and only 24 though he is also a natural left back. Given the contract problems with him last year and his desire to play in Europe I could see him leaving but unless we are planning to play one of Tiene or Toia on the right this seems to be a strange signing of an older player at a position where we have good young players.

http://www.rds.ca/soccer/impact/siaka-tiene-aurait-signe-un-contrat-avec-l-impact-de-montreal-soccer-mls-1.2745835 

With Mapp and/or Duka leaving maybe Oyongo moves up to a wing and Toia plays RB? I'd be more mad if Toia left than Oyongo because Toia has been a good player this year without causing problems. Oyongo made a mess at the start of the year and we'd get more in return. But this would be a weird move and not high/on my priority list.

In the end we needed Venegas on the wing and he could be even more important with 2 wingers maybe leaving. Also with the two possible departures and any other american player leaving IMFC would need to be replace them by other domestic players (hopefully Canadian) or they'd have to get more international spots, some may already be needed with the high number of international players we already have.

Archived