Impact offseason 2015-16

Blackdude

43 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Andres Villas Boas might beg to differ with your faith in Drogba's unshakeable competitive spirit. 

What will history say about him, no matter what happens in the rest of his career?

Drogba, a fighter. A fierce competitor. Fearful for defenders.

That is the legacy, it is already written, whether you like it or not, one of the 3-4 top Africans so far in the 21st century.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Alberto7 said:

Joey Saputo was pretty pissed in his interview. I also think the Impact (and MLS) were not willing to release him because it would set a precedent which they wanted to avoid at all costs. Drogba is going to go through the motions this year. I don`t think it will be good for team chemistry. This is what happens when you pin all your hopes on a 37 year old player. If/when he leaves, you have nothing as a backup. The Impact lived the same thing with Di Vaio. They have to start grooming players from their academy and let them play. I certainly hope Crepeau gets a chance this year. He has been with the team forever and has never had a chance to play.

I really want to see Crepeau play this year too but I don't think he will get a chance, maybe he'll play in a V-Cup game or two. It will be hard for him with the way Bush played last year and Kronberg still being around. I was very surprised Kronberg was brought back this year but I guess it is for stability.

On the bright side IMFC obviously see something in Crepeau because they sent him to train in Bologna for a few weeks before the CanMNT camp.

3 hours ago, Keegan said:

Did Drogba get a pay rise?  Maybe that is being kept hush hush so as to not set a precedent.

I could understand why he would want one... $3M a year for a top 3 player in the league who is a football legend is highway robbery.  Imagine how mad he (and his agent!) would be seeing a bum like Altidore making $4.5M.  Or even guys like Keane and Giovinco making millions more than him, he obviously must feel like he's owed a lot more... None of those players have or ever will achieve what he has.

I can't see him getting a pay raise or that even being a factor for him. He has made enough money through his career and probably makes the most if not top 3 in sponsorship deals in the league. Also there are a lot of side deals not calculated in the reported salary. I think it was Noel Butler that said Drogba rented a place to stay for this year in Montreal and that IMFC is paying for it. I can't imagine the rent is cheap.

14 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What will history say about him, no matter what happens in the rest of his career?

Drogba, a fighter. A fierce competitor. Fearful for defenders.

That is the legacy, it is already written, whether you like it or not, one of the 3-4 top Africans so far in the 21st century.

I'm sorry, but are we talking about Drogba's legacy, based on his career, once he's given up playing, or your guarantee that he'll show up and put in a hard shift for the Impact this year? If it's the former, I have no argument. However, if we're talking about the latter, Drogba's own history tells us that your guarantee is not as rock-solid as you suggest. 

13 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'm sorry, but are we talking about Drogba's legacy, based on his career, once he's given up playing, or your guarantee that he'll show up and put in a hard shift for the Impact this year? If it's the former, I have no argument. However, if we're talking about the latter, Drogba's own history tells us that your guarantee is not as rock-solid as you suggest. 

What is worse, the attitude of MLS who can dishonour a contract, let teams waive players, trade them and barter them with zero loyalty, because of this bogus business of the contract belonging to the league? Or the players' attitude to their teams?

I have no doubts about this: MLS is a league that is built on not respecting a player's loyalty and committment to the team he is with. But that does not mean the fans need to get infected by this shit behaviour and have a shameful attitude towards players who have performed perfectly well for them.

Drogba performed excellently for Impact, and at no time has he publicly questioned his contract. The English press did more to pressure on the point with Mourinho gone, and he even tweeted that everyone was getting way ahead of themselves.

I think Impact fans are being dishonourable with this childish attitude. He scores goals for you, exactly what he was hired to do. Impeccable. So grow up and try to act a bit more respectfully than this league that gets away with murder with players in a way no league in the world does.

28 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What is worse, the attitude of MLS who can dishonour a contract, let teams waive players, trade them and barter them with zero loyalty, because of this bogus business of the contract belonging to the league? Or the players' attitude to their teams?

I have no doubts about this: MLS is a league that is built on not respecting a player's loyalty and committment to the team he is with. But that does not mean the fans need to get infected by this shit behaviour and have a shameful attitude towards players who have performed perfectly well for them.

Drogba performed excellently for Impact, and at no time has he publicly questioned his contract. The English press did more to pressure on the point with Mourinho gone, and he even tweeted that everyone was getting way ahead of themselves.

I think Impact fans are being dishonourable with this childish attitude. He scores goals for you, exactly what he was hired to do. Impeccable. So grow up and try to act a bit more respectfully than this league that gets away with murder with players in a way no league in the world does.

Once again, that's an entirely different argument to the point I was making. 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

First of all as usual you are bringing a lot of unrelated issues in and then not at all accurately. MLS does honour its contracts with players, if they did not they would get sued. However, I fully agree that MLS should be offering players contracts that are more fair though that pertains almost entirely to young and/or borderline players without a lot of leverage not the well paid star players they bring in like Drogba. While MLS does have a somewhat unique method of doing things, to claim that they are screwing players unlike any other league in the world is completely untrue. Do you even follow soccer? I can name you tons of examples of clubs and teams totally screwing players world wide, I could even name quite a number of examples of that happening to Canadian players. And again the smaller the player and the smaller the league the less chance of the player being able to get what is owed him. Likewise there are countless examples of players screwing over the leagues, clubs and fans they play for and they even have an advantage over clubs in that they can fulfill their contract legally by playing but not performing if they want to. So yes leagues, clubs and players should all honour the contracts they sign and not screw the fans for greed and selfishness.

No one knows what Drogba's motivation is because he has not said anything throughout this whole affair nor has he made any statements of loyalty to his team and fans like some other well known players who are playing in MLS have done. I think this shows poor judgement and character and a lack of respect for his team and fans. That other teams, leagues and players sometimes do the same thing is no excuse, there are also many who behave honourably. And I am pretty sure whatever his motivation for his actions are they don't have anything to do with solidarity with young players not treated fairly by MLS and have a lot to do with his own selfish interests. But yes if he comes back and fulfills his contract (and at the moment the legal contractual obligations seems to be the only reason he is coming back) plays well and scores  a lot most though not all of this will be forgotten and forgiven. Despite the passion of the true fans of a team, sports is mostly ruled by goals/success and money. Doesn't mean any of us have to like it though and we are certainly entitled to applaud the players who do show respect to the crest and fans and criticize those who don't.

And since we haven't had a good argument in a long time and you seem to like going off topic, let me add this in response to your last paragraph. If all we fans cared about was overpaid but very talented superstars scoring lots of goals, many of whom really only play for the fame and the money in a league in which teams are massively funded by everything from criminal money laundering schemes to corrupt government funding and tax evasion schemes and shady non-profit statuses and who play before millions of fans worldwide and have 100 000 fans in the stadium yet have less atmosphere than a Romanian 2nd division match, we could "grow up" and be like you and become FC Barcelona fans. :P

4 hours ago, Grizzly said:

While MLS does have a somewhat unique method of doing things, to claim that they are screwing players unlike any other league in the world is completely untrue. Do you even follow soccer? I can name you tons of examples of clubs and teams totally screwing players world wide, I could even name quite a number of examples of that happening to Canadian players.

There isn't another league in the world that can ship a player to another team (and city) without consulting him. 

On 27/1/2016 at 11:25 AM, SthMelbRed said:

Hilariously, the good Lord is stopping me from being able to post on this thread, quote anyone, or otherwise rebutt.  Except in this lovely box SthMeldRed has for me. 

Which may be a good thing. The hypocrisy of MLS fans worrying about players being loyal to a club is amazing, when by contract the only loyalty they are required to have is to the entity holding their contracts, the league itself. That is totally exceptional in world football, it's a veritable freak show of a system.

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:
On 1/27/2016 at 5:25 AM, SthMelbRed said:

Hilariously, the good Lord is stopping me from being able to post on this thread, quote anyone, or otherwise rebutt.  Except in this lovely box SthMeldRed has for me. 

Which may be a good thing. The hypocrisy of MLS fans worrying about players being loyal to a club is amazing, when by contract the only loyalty they are required to have is to the entity holding their contracts, the league itself. That is totally exceptional in world football, it's a veritable freak show of a system.

What about the hypocrisy of La Liga? To me, this is the reason Barcelona and Real Madrid are the 2 best clubs of the world: 

Prize Money Table of La Liga 2015

Team Prize Money
Barcelona  140€ Million
Real Madrid  140€ Million
Valencia  48€ Million
Atletico Madrid  42€ Million
Sevilla  32€ Million
Athletic Bilbao  32€ Million
Villarreal  32€ Million
 Real Betis  30€ Million
Espanyol  28€ Million
Real Sociedad  25€ Million
Malaga  25€ Million
Getafe  25€ Million
Osasuna  22€ Million
Celta de Vigo  22€ Million
Levante  22€ Million
Granada  18€ Million
Elche  18€ Million
Valladiod  18€ Million
Rayo Vallecano  18€ Million
Almeria  18€ Million

http://www.livesportsreviews.com/la-liga-prize-money-2015-2016/

I've done my research about the distribution of TV rights in the other big leagues and no league has such disparity as La Liga. I have mixed feelings about this, unlike Unamed trialist, who never posted something negative about La Liga. The bad thing is that this distribution makes La Liga the most disloyal league of the world, killing the sense of the word competition. But from a National Team point of view, it worked well since Spain won the WC in 2010. My feelings about La Liga are that Barecelona and Real Madrid are a division within the First Division itself thanks to this unfair money distribution.

6 hours ago, canucklefan said:

What about the hypocrisy of La Liga? To me, this is the reason Barcelona and Real Madrid are the 2 best clubs of the world: 

Prize Money Table of La Liga 2015

Team Prize Money
Barcelona  140€ Million
Real Madrid  140€ Million
Valencia  48€ Million
Atletico Madrid  42€ Million
Sevilla  32€ Million
Athletic Bilbao  32€ Million
Villarreal  32€ Million
 Real Betis  30€ Million
Espanyol  28€ Million
Real Sociedad  25€ Million
Malaga  25€ Million
Getafe  25€ Million
Osasuna  22€ Million
Celta de Vigo  22€ Million
Levante  22€ Million
Granada  18€ Million
Elche  18€ Million
Valladiod  18€ Million
Rayo Vallecano  18€ Million
Almeria  18€ Million

http://www.livesportsreviews.com/la-liga-prize-money-2015-2016/

I've done my research about the distribution of TV rights in the other big leagues and no league has such disparity as La Liga. I have mixed feelings about this, unlike Unamed trialist, who never posted something negative about La Liga. The bad thing is that this distribution makes La Liga the most disloyal league of the world, killing the sense of the word competition. But from a National Team point of view, it worked well since Spain won the WC in 2010. My feelings about La Liga are that Barecelona and Real Madrid are a division within the First Division itself thanks to this unfair money distribution.

I don't think responding to my comments about IMpact fans whining about Drogba are in any way properly rebutted by these hack-job comments about La Liga or about what happens in Camp Nou. If you really do reflect Impact fan opinions about Drogba, which I seriously doubt, you are a pretty pathetic fan base.

As for the economic arguments, just look at what Barça shirt sponsor has been for the last 30 years of league and European success, and you'll understand that the team has renounced huge sums on principle, until just recently. As we continue to do with refusing to accept naming rights for the stadium. 

No MLS stadium has anywhere near the fan base of any team in Europe, where people actually watch games, care, understand, and demand things from their players. In MLS 80% of fans are dead asleep. You should be happy Didier came along to wake things up a bit. 

BTW, canucklefan: I don't know you or how long you have been around, but saying you have done your research and then arguing Barça and Madrid are big clubs because of TV rights is a beauty. I mean, that is a pretty nasty research lab you got going there. The whole idea of building a stadium for over a 100,000 in the 1950s, when TV did not exist in Spain, just to prepare for the Chinese cable market a half century later, demonstrates how forward thinking they were in Barcelona at the time!!

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't think responding to my comments about IMpact fans whining about Drogba are in any way properly rebutted by these hack-job comments about La Liga or about what happens in Camp Nou. If you really do reflect Impact fan opinions about Drogba, which I seriously doubt, you are a pretty pathetic fan base.

As for the economic arguments, just look at what Barça shirt sponsor has been for the last 30 years of league and European success, and you'll understand that the team has renounced huge sums on principle, until just recently. As we continue to do with refusing to accept naming rights for the stadium. 

No MLS stadium has anywhere near the fan base of any team in Europe, where people actually watch games, care, understand, and demand things from their players. In MLS 80% of fans are dead asleep. You should be happy Didier came along to wake things up a bit. 

BTW, canucklefan: I don't know you or how long you have been around, but saying you have done your research and then arguing Barça and Madrid are big clubs because of TV rights is a beauty. I mean, that is a pretty nasty research lab you got going there. The whole idea of building a stadium for over a 100,000 in the 1950s, when TV did not exist in Spain, just to prepare for the Chinese cable market a half century later, demonstrates how forward thinking they were in Barcelona at the time!!

Actually, I posted this because I think you are like the "hypocrite MLS fans" (your own words). You are the same but with your club Barça, never said anything negative about you loved team, when you compare your Barça or La Liga with MLS, you prefer “dynasty”, whatever that means today, how they treat their players compared to MLS, etc. As much as an MLS fan bothers me when he craps against NASL, craps against the possibility of the C-League, your comments reflect a similar approach with Barça or La Liga.

I won’t argue about what has Barça accomplished the past years (actually, that was a dishonest argument from you but I'll take the time to reply), but with the actual TV rights distribution, Real Madrid and your club have an unfair advantage not only in La Liga but in CL too against the other clubs in EPL and the Bundesliga. 10-15 years ago, a club was able to win La Liga with 55-60 pts. Today it’s just between Barça and Real Madrid (a division within the First division), and you need 90-100 pts to win the title. That’s why I said Barça and RM are the best clubs of the world TODAY, excluding their accomplishments of the past year.

7 minutes ago, canucklefan said:

You are the same but with your club Barça, never said anything negative about you loved team....

Do me a favour, read this thread, where I lay out where I am critical of Barça as a paying and voting club member. The prerogative of being a part owner of the club with a democratically elected board. Do it as part of your research, since you are an expert researcher. Then come back and apologize for lying.

As for the parity argument, if you are honest enought to admit you are slandering me, I'd love to get into it.

On January 26, 2016 at 3:24 AM, Grizzly said:

From Joey's comments it sounded like Drogba is only coming back because they would not release him from his contract which does not sound very encouraging. 

Not so sure about that. If that was the case he could've easily called it quits and pulled the pin out of the grenade. That would've resolved everything. Unless he wanted to play 5 months with Chelsea... Wankers. 

Anyways, he'll have his big house now, his family with him, so long as Chelsea continues to get results, he'll be fine and will realize this is HIS FINAL year as a player and try to make the most of it. Drogba unhinged... Cue the music. 

On January 28, 2016 at 5:28 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

How are the fans being dishonorable and having a childish attitude? I think it's the other way around to tell you the truth. If I or anyone else here signed a contract we'd be expected to live up to it.  I think the fans feel a little betrayed expecting a year and a half out of him and they committed whether it was getting shirts to season tickets or as common in Quebec, our emotions. I'm sure they attracted a few of those football fans that had sat out on the sidelines criticizing North American foot. In the end it's the fans that make a league work.  Are their contracts to protect the fans? Nope. If he flew the nest what was there to protect the fans especially in these times where every cent matters? Nothing - they'd be screwed out of some hard working , honest dollars.

What you're talking about is just business. Owners vs Players with a twist in this case the League trumps all.  This is all fine print and legal obligations. Never saw a league disband a franchise (Chivas)  yes MLS is special.

I didn't know it was the league that owned Drogbas rights. I was surprised to hear that cause I honestly thought the Impact held his rights and could call the shots maybe make a trade or get a big return. 

So this tells me that yes it's only business, that's all Garber and his investors care about is $$$ and making this sport grow so it makes more $$$. Does this mean every fan in this league are plastic? Some could perceive it that way. I'll agree that this league does come off as a little superficial - test tube league perhaps. But don't blame the fans in Mtl. Drogba and his agent must've known all of this before signing with MLS. So if all we hear is sports is business than as a player you are an entertainer, paid to entertain so do that cause some places in the world, especially in New York City ( home of NHL NBA MLB and MLS hq and their lawyers) they expect that. 

59 minutes ago, Moldy9 said:

Unnamed Trialist - face it brother you're just reacting this way cause you know that with Drogba IMFC would've kicked Barcas butt in the FIFA Club Championship. ;):P jk

I can't tell you how proud I would have been if Impact had been in Japan and had ended up playing Barça, in semis, or even a final. Just to have a Canadian club in that competition would be amazing.

Mind you, would have been terribly hard to play there a month after ending the season, probably requiring friendlies to prepare, and it would have screwed up their whole pre-season. But still, I'm hoping it happens some year.

On February 2, 2016 at 10:52 AM, aloyol said:

I know a certain pro of soccer will be pissed but apparently JGL was the last man standing at the "beep test" during the Impact training session yesterday.

He can jog at a moderate pace forever, hats off to him.

He can also hold the distinction of being the worst performing member of the u20 team in Concacaf qualifying one year and then the worst member of the u23 team in the Olympic qualifying tournament the next year.

12 hours ago, aloyol said:

Not sure it was reported here (maybe lost in all the Drogba talks) or somewhere else on the forum,  Patrick Leduc twitted about Dylan Carreiro being on trial with Montréal.

Is Carreiro a winger or a central midfielder? I think this is more of a move for FCMTL, I can't see him playing a lot for IMFC this year.

5 hours ago, Soccerpro said:

Red Bulls beat the Impact 5-0 in pre season today. This wasn't a red Bulls starters vs Impact reserves, either. A bit worrying.

Not really the Red Bulls started their pre season 3 days before Montreal and have been training in Orlando since the 25th which is the day the Impact got together as a team for the first time. The Red Bulls have also already played a few games so I think its fair to say they're ahead of Montreal at this point but it won't matter when the season starts.

Carreiro is a central midfielder and akin to a 1st round MLS draft choice in terms of ability.  I would be surprised to see him in USL.. if things don't work out in MTL he should probably head to Ottawa.  

I find it funny how teams will draft a guy people (i.e. average MLS fan) have never heard of and hype them up for minutes (i.e. Laryea) but then you have someone like Carreiro with a little European experience + tons of youth NT experience who is younger than seniors drafted last month but is looked at as a long shot.  Just strange... 

At least with Biello I think he'll get a fair shot at earning a contract.

I wonder how it works in terms of TFC holding his rights?

Archived