Impact offseason 2015-16

Blackdude

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Duka will be a big loss. Good player.

Duka had his moments but he was also invisible at times. I wasn't a fan after how he played in 2014, but after his brace against Pachuca he partially won me over. He needs to be a more consistent threat and not only some times.

His departure could really hurt if Mapp leaves and Romero still being injured.

There has been a bit of chatter on the ESG boards and Reddit that a current Canadian international will be signed by FC Edmonton. The first player that sprung to mind was Kyle Bekker. No idea if there is any substance to it beyond what I've read on those forums.

Nana Attakora and/or Kyle Porter may still be considered as "current" Canadian internationals.

I hope its Randy Edwini-Bonsu or even Ricketts to get him out of Turkey's 2nd division.

Why would you want him out of the Turkish 2nd division? That is a better league than NASL in everything from standard of play to facilities and coaching. Playing in NASL would cut down his national team travel but if he is ever going to develop into a legitimate starter for us (ie. not starting because we don't have a good right winger and at least he is fast) it is going to be somewhere like Turkey not in NASL.

I think Duka will be a big loss. Good player.

He is a loss but not a big loss. As Farell said he was inconsistent and although he scored a few important goals for us, he scored far too infrequently. The much criticised Oduro despite all his flaws scored 8 goals playing on the other wing during the regular season in slightly less playing time than Duka who scored 2. Oduro did also play forward sometimes but still 2 goals is not enough production from the wing. I would have kept him if the price was right but he was not really a starter in our ideal 11 and will be even less so if we fill the need for a central attacking midfielder and can move Piatti to left wing where he belongs. And at $200 000 he was overpaid for someone who was basically a good sub or injury cover starter.

Why would you want him out of the Turkish 2nd division? That is a better league than NASL in everything from standard of play to facilities and coaching. Playing in NASL would cut down his national team travel but if he is ever going to develop into a legitimate starter for us (ie. not starting because we don't have a good right winger and at least he is fast) it is going to be somewhere like Turkey not in NASL.

2nd division Turkey is nowhere near 1st division Turkey in terms of professionalism and quality of play and it's really hard to follow for me, haha. I think you're underestimating NASL a bit too. There are/were plenty of good national team players in it, e.g. Lance Laing and Ibarra...

2nd division Turkey is nowhere near 1st division Turkey in terms of professionalism and quality of play and it's really hard to follow for me, haha. I think you're underestimating NASL a bit too. There are/were plenty of good national team players in it, e.g. Lance Laing and Ibarra...

Yes, Ibarra who is a fringe US international. Even now that he is playing with Leon he still can't get a sniff with the Americans. He has like 5 caps. Laing is a decent player, but it's not like he is a guaranteed Jamaican selection, let alone a starter. 

Aside from that, let me see, Dustin Coera of FCE, the Salvadorian international, impressed me against Canada. El Salvador also have a few others in NASL, but really that is not the environment if you are a serious CONCACAF international that's looking to improve.

So while I'd be happy for Edmonton to get a local like Ricketts or Edwini-bonsu, I can't say that it would be a step in the right direction, if I am being honest. Unless the plan is to land in MLS, I don't see why either would leave Europe (unless it's a lifestyle choice). 

The other side of the coin is that both have a low value in Europe. Ricketts changes clubs every season, while Randy is in his prime but still stuck in 3.Liga

Have you ever watched a Turkish 2nd division game? Yes like all countries the 2nd division is not as good as the 1st. However, the drop is not as big as it is in most European nations outside the big 5 leagues. That is because Turkey has a large population, is soccer crazy and there is a lot of money in Turkish soccer even at the lower divisions. There are usually a few fairly big teams in the 2nd division, for example, Karsiyaka and Goztepe are both there now. I follow the team Denizlispor which has unfortunately been in this division for several years now after being pretty successful in the 1st division for a number of years. I have also seen numerous NASL games both live and online and I like the league and am not underestimating it. The Turkish second division is better in every way to NASL, the only advantage of Ricketts coming back would be less travel for national team games. And if Ricketts is ever going to develop the skills to improve his play it is not going to be in NASL. He is better off where he is now as is REB if he can get some playing time.

The Impact has given an invitation to three FC Montréal players for training camp: Louis Béland-Goyette, Marco-Leonel Dominguez and Alessandro Riggi. I think Riggi's the most ready of the bunch if one would make the team. Mapp will test the free agency market and we know about Duka opening his European options.

If you want to listen Adam Braz's interview in French with Nicolas A Martineau about the team a good 16 minutes interview in full.

http://brightcove.tvasports.com.edgesuite.net/media/1116875978001/201512/3040/1116875978001_4643301389001_4643257843001.mp4?playerId=3620069849001&lineupId=&affiliateId=&pubId=1116875978001&videoId=4643257843001

Have you ever watched a Turkish 2nd division game? Yes like all countries the 2nd division is not as good as the 1st. However, the drop is not as big as it is in most European nations outside the big 5 leagues. That is because Turkey has a large population, is soccer crazy and there is a lot of money in Turkish soccer even at the lower divisions. There are usually a few fairly big teams in the 2nd division, for example, Karsiyaka and Goztepe are both there now. I follow the team Denizlispor which has unfortunately been in this division for several years now after being pretty successful in the 1st division for a number of years. I have also seen numerous NASL games both live and online and I like the league and am not underestimating it. The Turkish second division is better in every way to NASL, the only advantage of Ricketts coming back would be less travel for national team games. And if Ricketts is ever going to develop the skills to improve his play it is not going to be in NASL. He is better off where he is now as is REB if he can get some playing time.

I'm sure you're right. I guess I am just being selfish and want these players closer to home, so I can follow them more closely. 

The Impact has given an invitation to three FC Montréal players for training camp: Louis Béland-Goyette, Marco-Leonel Dominguez and Alessandro Riggi. I think Riggi's the most ready of the bunch if one would make the team. Mapp will test the free agency market and we know about Duka opening his European options.

If you want to listen Adam Braz's interview in French with Nicolas A Martineau about the team a good 16 minutes interview in full.

http://brightcove.tvasports.com.edgesuite.net/media/1116875978001/201512/3040/1116875978001_4643301389001_4643257843001.mp4?playerId=3620069849001&lineupId=&affiliateId=&pubId=1116875978001&videoId=4643257843001

Agree with you about Riggi. The path ahead from him looks much brighter if Mapp and Duka have left. I thought Dominguez was very average last year. Beland-Goyette already had a MLS contract, lost it, was signed to USL, and now is trying for a senior contract again. He's directly competing with Dominguez and Gagnon-Lapare for a spot.

Another thing the Turkish 2nd Division has over the NASL is match-fixing. Apparently alot of shady folks involved in clubs in the Turkish lower leagues. But still a much better level of play and would rather Ricketts stayed put.

That is true but why do us westerners always point things like that out when they occur in a country like Turkey yet conveniently forget the numerous match fixing scandals in our own countries. The worst match fixing scandal in recent years was in Germany and I actually was in attendance at matches that we found out years later were fixed. Yet when one mentions German soccer no one mentions match fixing like they do when you mention Turkish soccer. There are a lot of shady folks involved in soccer in all the world especially in the lower divisions where it is easier to get influence with players/clubs/officials and get away with funny results. 

That is true but why do us westerners always point things like that out when they occur in a country like Turkey yet conveniently forget the numerous match fixing scandals in our own countries. The worst match fixing scandal in recent years was in Germany and I actually was in attendance at matches that we found out years later were fixed. Yet when one mentions German soccer no one mentions match fixing like they do when you mention Turkish soccer. There are a lot of shady folks involved in soccer in all the world especially in the lower divisions where it is easier to get influence with players/clubs/officials and get away with funny results. 

^This.

http://www.tvasports.ca/2015/12/04/impact--dimportantes-nouvelles-lundi

From that link there are multiple things.

The Impact will announce their signings on Monday.
Cooper is done with Montreal.
Camara's making too much money for his option to be picked up and isn't expected to start next year, so the Impact will offer him a lower salary, though we don't know if Camara will accept it or if he could say no and explore th
Porter's future is "50/50"
NYCFC and Colorado are interested in Duka and his case shouldn't be resolved until January.
Gagnon-Laparé's future could be in jeopardy with Béland-Goyette & Dominguez being given a training camp invitation.

Reports are that Camara has re-signed with the Impact, a 3 year contract with a salary reduction. Camara was definitely overpaid last year at $250 000 but at a more reasonable salary it is good they re-signed him. Even if he is not a starter next year, he can sub in at several positions with little to no decline in quality from the regular starter.

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

Reports are that Camara has re-signed with the Impact, a 3 year contract with a salary reduction. Camara was definitely overpaid last year at $250 000 but at a more reasonable salary it is good they re-signed him. Even if he is not a starter next year, he can sub in at several positions with little to no decline in quality from the regular starter.

TVA's Lord and others report this and Camara tweeted that he was staying. The only thing that I couldn't confirm from the news articles is the length(3 years).

http://www.tvasports.ca/2015/12/10/entente-de-principe-avec-camara

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/soccer/201512/10/01-4929959-hassoun-camara-sentend-avec-limpact-de-montreal.php

http://www.rds.ca/soccer/impact/mls-le-defenseur-hassoun-camara-signe-un-nouveau-contrat-a-long-terme-avec-l-impact-1.2770718

On 12/7/2015 at 5:46 PM, Grizzly said:

"The club exercised options on goalkeepers Evan Bush, Eric Kronberg and Maxime Crépeau, defenders Donny Toia, Wandrille Lefèvre and Eric Miller, midfielders Kyle Bekker, Eric Alexander and Maxim Tissot, as well as forward Anthony Jackson-Hamel.

Midfielder Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé and forward Dominic Oduro have also signed new deals with the club."

As a CanMNT fan first and foremost it's nice to see Crépeau, Tissot, Lefèvre, Jackson-Hamel & Bekker get contracts.

If I had to bet, Gagnon-Laparé & Oduro got salary cuts; both did not impress this season. Anybody else think this?

6 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

TVA's Lord and others report this and Camara tweeted that he was staying. The only thing that I couldn't confirm from the news articles is the length(3 years).

http://www.tvasports.ca/2015/12/10/entente-de-principe-avec-camara

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/soccer/201512/10/01-4929959-hassoun-camara-sentend-avec-limpact-de-montreal.php

http://www.rds.ca/soccer/impact/mls-le-defenseur-hassoun-camara-signe-un-nouveau-contrat-a-long-terme-avec-l-impact-1.2770718

"The club exercised options on goalkeepers Evan Bush, Eric Kronberg and Maxime Crépeau, defenders Donny Toia, Wandrille Lefèvre and Eric Miller, midfielders Kyle Bekker, Eric Alexander and Maxim Tissot, as well as forward Anthony Jackson-Hamel.

Midfielder Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé and forward Dominic Oduro have also signed new deals with the club."

As a CanMNT fan first and foremost it's nice to see Crépeau, Tissot, Lefèvre, Jackson-Hamel & Bekker get contracts.

If I had to bet, Gagnon-Laparé & Oduro got salary cuts; both did not impress this season. Anybody else think this?

Oduro is definitely not a starter, AT BEST he comes in as a LATE sub.If he's back,it should be with a reduction in salary for sure.

13 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

6 hours ago, MtlMario said:

Oduro is definitely not a starter, AT BEST he comes in as a LATE sub.If he's back,it should be with a reduction in salary for sure.

I agree his salary was too high and he probably took a salary reduction to stay with Montreal but this is not really a true or fair evaluation of Oduro even though a lot of people think this. Oduro scored 8 goals this year sometimes as a striker but mostly playing on the wing. He also created a lot of opportunities for other players some of which led to goals scored by other players. Plus his speed was incredibly effective in making sure opposing defenders could not join the attack because  of the threat he posed on the counter. It wasn't always pretty and at times he is horrible to watch with poor finishing and ball skills. On the other hand even though he misses a lot of chances those are often chances that he creates himself and 8 goals is only 1 less than Piatti. Most fans were hoping Duka would stay but with more playing time than Oduro in the regular season he scored only 2 goals. He set up a few goals but no more than Oduro and he certainly did not force defenders to be honest. I like Duka as well and hope he stays but often Duka was ineffective but looked good being ineffective while Oduro was effective but looked bad being effective. 

Archived