Impact offseason 2015-16

Blackdude

If he left the Impact to become an assistant coach I would find that hard to understand. If he was actually going to play at Chelsea that would be one thing although still an incredible lack of loyalty to the fans and the team but to take one year or more off your playing career to be an assistant coach would be really strange.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has always looked good and been effective against the Caps. I know it is a small sample size but he does appear to have the  goods. More consistency and he'll give Larin a run for his spot on our MNT. Being the understudy to Drogba is a huge bonus for him.

I'm still optimistic that we will see him in either March or June. I don't see why he'd just hang up the boots to be an advisor. If he is such good pals with Abromovich then the job should always be there for him. What's the rush? Plus, you don't think he'll get the itch to play again? You know players like him don't do it entirely for the money, they enjoy playing. So maybe he still wants to play. If he does however act as a player/coach then Chelsea will have to pay a transfer fee or loan. 

So it's MLS that owns his contract and not the Impact. I never knew that. That's probably why the Impact said it was out of their control although why they'd admit that to the public doesn't really inspire confidence in their management. MLS playing hardball with Chelsea. Not sure how this saga will end. 

I don't see Drogba playing for Montreal again. He could have said that he's committed to the Impact for 2016 but he hasn't. That makes it clear to me he wants out. This in turn is a public relations disaster for the marketing department of the Impact. They better settle this affair so they can sign a new DP striker before the transfer window is closed.

IMO, signing Drogba was simply a desperate move by Saputo in response to sagging interest in the Impact, but also an incredibly short sighted move. Drogba brought a real buzz to the team that will be largely gone by the start of the 2016 campaign.

Who do the Impact have up front as of today? Oduro, AJH, Porter, and...? Better sign someone quick...

20 minutes ago, shermanator said:

IMO, signing Drogba was simply a desperate move by Saputo in response to sagging interest in the Impact, but also an incredibly short sighted move. Drogba brought a real buzz to the team that will be largely gone by the start of the 2016 campaign.

Who do the Impact have up front as of today? Oduro, AJH, Porter, and...? Better sign someone quick...

Regardless of what Drogba decided in the offseason the signing was still an unbelievable move, there's no denying it.

He brought a huge buzz to the Impact and basically single handedly propelled them to the playoffs.  At just $3M it was a steal... especially when TFC have Altidore on $4.5 M, Drogba was a class above every player in the league not named Giovinco for the short time he was here.

At least he didn't retire closer to the season.  Pre-season hasn't even started and MTL should be able to find a replacement in that time.  Hopefully it is a big name, otherwise attendance figures will fall drastically once again.

As for Drogba himself, I can't imagine why he's doing this.  Somethings gotta give, if he's really retiring to be an ASSISTANT coach it's a shame.  The man is a Chelsea legend, they're gonna have a spot for him in the future at some point no matter what and there's no chance he's getting $3M in his new position.  

Anyone else getting the feeling that he's not really retiring and he's gonna be brought back to Chelsea as a player/coach to give the club a morale boost for the last half of the season?  Only way this makes sense IMO.  He'll get to retire at Chelsea and get his feet wet in coaching.

I was pretty sure Drogba would continue at Impact. Him retiring makes little sense.

As soon as Chelsea begin to roll with Hiddink, and Didier is not really needed (as he isn't, in fact). I am sure Hiddink could not care the least about what he could add, since we are talking about a serious coach who has a great manner and is going to get along with everyone, he needs no assistance to adjust to a team in London (if it were China it'd be different, or even Russia, Turkey). In fact, Guus looks to have already sorted out the dressing room, so why bring in Didier?

My opinion, even if he says he wants to retire, don't give up on him, encourage him, just hold tight. Hopefully this is what Saputo has been doing. Fans should get on board and not be so fatalist, start a loving "stay" campaign and see what comes of it.

As is, today Drogba denies the retirement news, so there: http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/10121182/drogba

Archived