Impact offseason 2015-16

Blackdude

2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

. I like Duka as well and hope he stays but often Duka was ineffective but looked good being ineffective while Oduro was effective but looked bad being effective. 

This quote captures the Oduro-style of player and why they are so-often under-rated perfectly.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Justin Mapp signs with Kansas City. I have mixed feelings about this one. He was one of our best players so I am sad to see him go yet we played most of last season without him due to injury so what his health and playing level will be this coming season is still a question mark. He will undoubtedly be a pretty big cap hit for KC. Also while he was great in possession and was almost impossible to steal the ball from, he was by far the worst finisher on the team when in front of the net and that is including Oduro and he hardly ever scored or even got a shot on the net which was a big deficiency for a winger. On the other hand he was great at setting up goals and it would have been interesting to see what a healthy Mapp could have done playing with Drogba. It would be nice if his departure and the probable departure of Duka gives Tissot a chance at more playing time. Given that we played most of last year without him and still have Piatti, Romero, Oduro, Venegas and Tissot on the wing I am not sure we need to sign another winger as we were already overstocked at that position. I would try to sign a real central attacking midfielder so we can move Piatti back to left wing which is his natural position and one he is more suited for.

http://www.sportingkc.com/post/2015/12/14/sporting-kc-signs-free-agent-midfielder-justin-mapp

Mapp was the best Impact player overall since they came to MLS with the possible exception of di Viao. You are right though that he is aging and coming off a pretty bad injury. On form though, he is way better than any other winger they have except for Piatti. One of my favourite players to watch on the Canadian teams the last few years as well, he always seemed to be in space and could glide past anybody with ease.

11 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Interesting to read that he was such a bad finisher for the Impact.  My main memory of Mapp was his goal against Toronto in the V Cup and that was a hell of a finish.

AS a Impact STH from day one, believe me he a was such a bad finisher he gave Oduro a run for his money!!!!

51 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Interesting to read that he was such a bad finisher for the Impact.  My main memory of Mapp was his goal against Toronto in the V Cup and that was a hell of a finish.

When he scored his goals were usually pretty impressive, but there was very few. He was usually more of a provider.

If he had better chemistry with Di Vaio he could of put up some monster assist  numbers. The two never seemed on the same page unfortunately.

21 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I enjoyed watching Mapp play for the Impact. He was really effective but Montreal has a lot of wing depth, so they'll be okay.

I'm not so sure with Romero injured for the first half of the year and Duka on his way out, it leaves the team with Piatti, Venegas, Oduro & Tissot. It could be enough, but I think that they need to add another winger. If I'm Braz, I want to sign a winger at least one defender if not two and a forward. They could add a midfielder, but I do think that if they add one, they will need to trade/waive one.

12 hours ago, farrelld said:

I know it is still highly unlikely, but uf Drogba does leave (as he is being linked with a Chelsea coaching job) this winter, who can the Impact bring in to replace him for the start of the season?

Chelsea has Hiddink till end of the year.

Pep Guardiola available next summer. 

On ‎2015‎-‎12‎-‎17 at 10:54 PM, farrelld said:

Rumours that a  $5M offer came in for Piatti. Personally I would NOT take it. If the club making this bid really wanted him I'd maybe try to get $7.5 or up for him. Anything less than that and it would be hard to find an upgrade IMO. 

The only way Piatti leaves is if they already have a replacement just as good or better than him.

Talk about Drogba going to Chelsea heating up, Montreal sports radio commentators this morning seem to feel that it will happen.  Would be a devastating loss to the Impact both on and off the field after their late run last season.

Facebook post from the Impact today: 

We are currently in contact with Didier Drogba and the Chelsea FC. We are doing everything we can to have him back with the Impact in 2016. We understand his attachment to his former club and his desire to help them. We are willing to accommodate him. But our objective is to have him back for another season, as agreed in his contract. This situation is out of our control. We would like to thank our supporters for their understanding and their patience.

Archived