Chants

rob.notenboom

So how many people are honestly willing to put in the time and effort to do new, and potentially more Canada-specific chants? I'm just curious because it's a challenge. It's very easy for people to default to what they're used to. Toronto chants in Toronto, Ottawa in Ottawa, Edmonton, Vancouver, etc. Don't get me wrong ... There are lots of great chants from all of these places. But some authentically Canadian ones will take time and effort from a committed group. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This songsheet was made for the Belize game.

http://www.thevoyageurs.org/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=642

Previous Threads:

I'm not a huge fan of the 3 verses listed for the Maple Leaf Forever, I think two would be easier and better. My choices;

To thee we brought our hopes, our dreams,
For thee we stand together,
Our land of peace, where proudly flies,
The Maple Leaf forever.

Long may it wave, and grace our own,
Blue skies and stormy weather,
Within my heart, above my home,
The Maple Leaf forever!

Oh Canada Will Proudly Play for You! (1:40 mark of below video)

• Pregame
  • 2minute mark of the match! (ATTENTION ALL! CAPOS!)

start the above at 1:40min. Nice opportunity for our drummers to kick ass too! 

"Who can lay down odds on the hearts of eleven men...oh Canada our hearts are ringing true. We won for your before and will win for you again, Oh Canada will proudly play for you!

But who can lay down odds on the hearts of eleven men...oh Canada our hearts are ringing true. We won for your before and will win for you again, Oh Canada will proudly play for you!"

Oh Canada, Oh Canada will play for u proudly "

I was never fan of maple leaf forver for a chant. I know a couple of people here have been pushing it for years and years but it just doesn't do it. The oh canada will proudly play for you is awesome though. Quick, catchy,upbeat !!

That's exactly why I like the Maple Leaf Forever, everything else we do is pretty upbeat, MLF is slower. Think Arsenal's "We're by far the greatest club" 

Just to add a chant. We did a variation on this in Edmonton and it came off not too badly. Apparently the guys also did it in Montreal during WWC but I wasn't there to hear. To the tune of Excursuon Around the Bay by Great Big Sea. 

Oh me oh my. 

I heard Honduras cry. 

Oh me oh my. 

I think we're gonna die. 

Oh me oh my. 

I heard Honduras say. 

We never should have taken on the Maple Leaf today. 

Hey!

So simple songs are probably the best for new people. But I've always wanted to have more songs about our history, and thought something like this would be cool

(to the tune of the chours of the Bowling For Soup song 1985 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K38xNqZvBJI )

George Pakos, Lettieri,

Way before Stalteri

There was Ragan and Mitchell

And games still in St John's

So bring on Hondruas

You're never gonna cure us

Cause we're still dreaming of

19, 19, 1985

It is always easiest to do chants if you don't need a song book or a leader. My opinion. Maybe an inspirer, but not a leader.

Take basic chants and adapt them. Others can learn then as they go, and anyone can start them, from anywhere in the stands.

If you have 5-6 you are set.

Like the Whitecaps FC How we love thee, changed to "C-N-M-T How we love thee..."

Which has a base in "Since I was young, I followed on, C-N-M-T, The team for me!"

Many classic English chants are so easy to adapt, how about:

"There's only one, Benito Floro, one, Benito Floro, walking along, singing along, walking in a Floro wonderland"

Which can work for any player as well, though for Benito is funny, imagining him walking in the snow.

Same with "Benito Floro's Red and White Army". Anyone can learn any of these in half a minute.

Since rival fans can make noise, you have to drown them out with sustained chants, that can last 5 minutes, not textually laborious ones. Otherwise BC Place will be Catracho and the rest of us watching on tv will be very pissed off.

Another option is to just to choose a song by a familiar Canadian artist. I'd imagine if you started singing "Wheat Kings" most people would know enough words to carry it. I'm thinking of something along the lines of "I'm forever blowing bubbles".

... of course if you can nail "Oh Canada Will Proudly Play for You!" that's pretty boss.

So simple songs are probably the best for new people. But I've always wanted to have more songs about our history, and thought something like this would be cool

(to the tune of the chours of the Bowling For Soup song 1985 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K38xNqZvBJI )

George Pakos, Lettieri,

Way before Stalteri

So bring on Hondruas

19, 19, 1985

this is epic and I will be singing up and down Granville tn 

George Pakos, Lettieri,

Way before Stalteri

So bring on Hondruas

19, 19, 1985

+1 for this song, even though I will not be there, I will be singing along in spirit

I'm not a huge fan of the 3 verses listed for the Maple Leaf Forever, I think two would be easier and better. My choices;

To thee we brought our hopes, our dreams,
For thee we stand together,
Our land of peace, where proudly flies,
The Maple Leaf forever.

Long may it wave, and grace our own,
Blue skies and stormy weather,
Within my heart, above my home,
The Maple Leaf forever!

YES!  Make it simpler and we might actually get some buy-in.

Also for tonight may I suggest welcoming Junior?

Hoilett is Playing for Canada (I want to be in America)

Hoilett is Playing for Ca-na-d!
Hoilett is Playing for Ca-na-da?
Hoilett is Playing for Ca-na-da.
Hoilett is Playing for Ca-NA-da!

Oh Canada Will Proudly Play for You! (1:40 mark of below video)

• Pregame
  • 2minute mark of the match! (ATTENTION ALL! CAPOS!)

start the above at 1:40min. Nice opportunity for our drummers to kick ass too! 

"Who can lay down odds on the hearts of eleven men...oh Canada our hearts are ringing true. We won for your before and will win for you again, Oh Canada will proudly play for you!

But who can lay down odds on the hearts of eleven men...oh Canada our hearts are ringing true. We won for your before and will win for you again, Oh Canada will proudly play for you!"

Oh Canada, Oh Canada will play for u proudly "

was this tried?

That's exactly why I like the Maple Leaf Forever, everything else we do is pretty upbeat, MLF is slower. Think Arsenal's "We're by far the greatest club" 

Exactly.  That's just the difference between songs and chants.  We don't really do any songs, and The Maple Leaf Forever is beautiful.  I'd love to hear 60,000 si…oops, I mean a thousand or so singing it.

Archived