MLS Playoffs - 2015

TRM

Well here we are with a week to go and all 3 Canadian teams are in the playoffs! A great day for Canadian soccer.

TFC vs Impact at Montreal and Vancouver home to Houston.

TFC with 49 points in 3rd, Montreal with 48 in 4th and out west Vancouver with 50 points in 3rd. In the east of the teams fighting for position only DC have 2 games left. So bragging rights for the east of Canada are on the line next weekend.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what else is on the line in the final game day?

Bragging rights for The Voyageurs Cup seeding! I for one want my Impact here in Edmonton - should they get by Ottawa. So if Mtl wins and Vancouver loses Mtl has 51 pts- most by any Cdn team. ;)

and oh oh yeah I think it's wonderful that all 3 Cdn teams made the playoffs, good job TFC on finally making it!  :P   Good to see all the Toronto fans on the streets celebrating that night - oh... forgot... Blue Jays stole the spotlight. ;)  

Although the three Canadian teams are in the post season I don't think fans will be satisfied if they don't get to the second round. Montreal seem to have some momentum, Toronto beat the Red Bulls but had nothing vs Columbus. Vancouver recent form needs to change otherwise they won't be playing past the 29th of October.

Unfortunately TFC hasn't come up against the big teams this season, with Red Bulls being the exception. I don't see them getting far.

Whitecaps seem to have lost momentum completely. Or the opponents figured out how to control them (let them play a possession game, which they can't. Then burry them on mistakes). However they have showed they are capable of beating anybody in the league. They have had time to focus on the playoffs already. I can see them as outsider for the Conference Finals.

Montreal has been the team in-form lately. They could just pull it trough, peeking at just the right moment. 

You know what's sad?  Only Dallas and the Red Bulls have won over 50% of their games and both of them did it just barely.  How does only winning 50% of your games get you first place in a division?  I realize ties are more common place in soccer and the salary cap is attempting to force parity, but no team can be considered the cream of the crop this year.

You know what's sad?  Only Dallas and the Red Bulls have won over 50% of their games and both of them did it just barely.  How does only winning 50% of your games get you first place in a division?  I realize ties are more common place in soccer and the salary cap is attempting to force parity, but no team can be considered the cream of the crop this year.

We've been debating just this point on the Caps thread for a month or so, a parity league vs clear dominion. I competely agree with you, I prefer to see some teams stand out, and this year there is not a single really good team in MLS, a clear and exemplary point of reference. 

I don't really have a dog in the Canadian MLS team fight (if anything I lean toward the Whitecaps) but it is hard not to be amused by the fact that Toronto "FC Moneybags" FC was pipped at the post for a home playoff date by a Montreal team that many had left for dead by June.

Canadian "based" teams and not Canadian teams IMO should be the reference to use. 

Today 2 out of 33 starters (Osorio and Tiebert) started and Bernier as a sub.........and that's it 

remember this next time we engage in a "why don't we do better at all events with Can MNT" narrative 

Canadian "based" teams and not Canadian teams IMO should be the reference to use. 

Today 2 out of 33 starters (Osorio and Tiebert) started and Bernier as a sub.........and that's it 

remember this next time we engage in a "why don't we do better at all events with Can MNT" narrative 

Exactly! It is very hard to be really excited about all of this in a league that clearly discriminates against Canadians!

It's ridiculous. I am pretty sure no rule  like this exists in any other major league in NA. 

Although rivals, kinda feel bad Toronto will have to face Montreal. Would've liked to have seen both of them play (and eliminate) American clubs cause both Cdn based teams had great seasons and are quite strong. 

Hence the need for a C-League... or MLS domestic rule change... or BOTH... both would be best actually.

Either way, great game. Sucks my team lost, but at least we have one more shot at Montreal. Won't be any easier mind you, but at this point there's nothing we fans can do but sit back and hope they play a full 90 minutes next time out. Good effort by Drogba and the supporting cast. IMFC deserved the win.

Well, thats a chicken or egg discussion I guess. Imagine you could take all the available Canadian Pro Soccer players and divide them over the three Canadian-based teams. Do you think any of them would have qualified for the playoffs? Are there even enough to fill out 3 times 30 players? You have to start somewhere. 

Well, thats a chicken or egg discussion I guess. Imagine you could take all the available Canadian Pro Soccer players and divide them over the three Canadian-based teams. Do you think any of them would have qualified for the playoffs? Are there even enough to fill out 3 times 30 players? You have to start somewhere. 

Well that is going to the extreme.

I don't think anyone is naive enough to think that the 3 Canadians teams should have 30 Canadians.  But it isn't unreasonable to think that each team should have 7 Canadians who see regular time (i.e. 20+ appearances per year).  

Even US teams don't have a ton of Americans but certainly 7+ on each team that will see well over 20+ appearances per year.  If you divided all Canadian soccer players across the 3 MLS teams they wouldn't be far off where they are now in the standings.  NYRB and Dallas both ended on 60 points and had room on their rosters for Canadians... and Canadians that aren't even "key" players on our national team at that.

Just as a frame of reference to what this could/would look like and that it is definitely possible (7 Canadians on each team making 140 appearances between them across all competitions):

Montreal: Bernier, Occean, Tissot, De Jong, Hoilett, Lefevre, Piette

Toronto: Larin, Osorio, Morgan, Henry, Hutchinson, Borjan, Edgar

Vancouver: Teibert, Akindele, Ledgerwood, Cavallini, Johnson, Haber, Petrasso

Is this realistic?  Probably not, with the structure of MLS but I'm just giving an example of how it could/would look whereby we see 140+ appearances for Canadians per MLS team over the course of a year.  Will all be starters?  Definitely not.. but this just shows that it IS possible to do more for Canadian football than has been done and I've left many Canadians out who could be in MLS squads too (Jackson, Ricketts, Ouimette, Jakovic, Hainault, De Guzman...) not to mention these Academy players that we are always hearing touted by the 3 MLS clubs but somehow are always passed over for College kids... 

The point here is that there is a ton of improvement for Canadian clubs to make and we're constantly hearing excuses but not a lot of action.  The easy way out for these clubs is to sign foreign players and that's the major downfall.  Our clubs are run by foreign managers with no accountability besides winning.  So you can't blame them for going the foreign route.. it's their job after all.  

It's going to take time but there is NO doubt that 2 Canadians appearing over 3 Canadian matches is ridiculous with the amount of Canadians who COULD play at this level.

Just as a frame of reference to what this could/would look like and that it is definitely possible (7 Canadians on each team making 140 appearances between them across all competitions):

Montreal: Bernier, Occean, Tissot, De Jong, Hoilett, Lefevre, Piette

Toronto: Larin, Osorio, Morgan, Henry, Hutchinson, Borjan, Edgar

Vancouver: Teibert, Akindele, Ledgerwood, Cavallini, Johnson, Haber, Petrasso

Is this realistic?  Probably not, with the structure of MLS but I'm just giving an example

I our dreams we can get those players for our 3 teams. The players would rather play elsewhere (for more money usually). The clubs that currently have them signed wouldn't let go without substantial fee and large salary. While that doesn't bother some clubs (MLSE), both the Caps and Impact seem a lot more prudent with their spending.

Our best hope is the academies and homegrown players and unfortunately that takes a long time.

There will be some who have made their money in Europe and want to wind up their careers back home (Bernier) and who are still good enough to play 3+ years at MLS level but that won't be helping our MNT. They will probably be past their prime and although MLS level not in the mix for our MNT.

It would look good to have more Canadians playing on Canadian teams but getting rid of the abominable international status on US based MLS teams (at least 1 or 2 per team counting as domestic) would do a lot more.

PS. Who do you think will sign Boakai? I think he is done with FCE and will be moving on. I'm hoping for completely selfish reasons that it will be the Caps.

Exactly, why I said that it is unrealistic but at the same time I took a shot at our "youth development".  

I heard and bought the "it'll take time" excuse from 2007-2010 but it's a pretty big joke that TFC is entering it's 10th season next year and has just Ashtone Morgan and Doneil Henry to show for their academy efforts.  Let's be honest Jonathan Osorio wasn't a TFC academy product.  

The club has invested millions of dollars in the youth development in a supposed "football hotbed" of North America and we've seen the best GTA players take their football careers elsewhere.  Dylan Carreiro, Ricardo Ferreira and Michael Petrasso made great career moves when they jumped ship early for some true development overseas.  TFC and Vancouver may have the facilities but clearly something isn't working.  Now we've seen Tristan Borges jump to Heerenven and Dario Zanatta to Hearts... this shouldn't be happening but it is because they look around and know they need to move on.

Who is to blame?  For me, the club needs to take a lot of blame in terms of who they are letting run the youth set up.  Essentially you're making an old boys club out of your youth teams and development is suffering as a result... I don't think TFC is pouring all this money in so that Sigma can out develop them (and make no mistake they are by a fairly large margin at this point).  Danny Dichio as a youth coach?  Really?  That's like letting a guy off the street drive a Ferrari for a race team.   We've seen a ton of kids come through the youth set up and fail to cement themselves in MLS.. surely MLS rules aren't helping either since kids that are released from TFC have no hope of joining a US club but that is besides the point of kids not sticking with our 3 clubs to begin with.  

I used the TFC example but you can look at Vancouver too where over a hundred kids have come through their program since 2007 and they have one single player to show for their efforts as a bonafide first team player... Russell Teibert.  

There may be a salary cap for roster players but the teams need to really look at spending some $ for some proven developers to bring these kids up, for the amount of kids coming through the academies of the 3 pro teams we have a real low rate of success.  

None of the Canadian MLS or NASL clubs are doing good enough in turning academy players into regulars. All clubs consistently talk big about how much money they are pouring into their academies and the great things that are being produced out of it. But, in 15 years of Canadian MLS clubs and 7 years of Canadian NASL clubs they've produced all of 1 starter (Henry, although even that is debatable) and a bunch of subs/fringe players (Osorio, Teibert, Morgan, Lefevre, Tissot, Adekugbe, Ouimette, Roberts).

Until our MLS and NASL teams do more than just talk big about how they can produce first team players and actually produce them the problem will only get worse.

So how far can the Canadian clubs go? One will be done this week due to Montreal playing Toronto in one of the playin games.

TFC? Defence is bad. 58 GA is tied with Chicago & NYCFC for worst. They do have the wild card named Giovinco in their favour.

Montreal? Hard to get a handle on them to be honest. They are winning a lot of close games and with their wild card, Drogba, they too have a game breaker. One of the MLS analysts has Drogba leading the Impact all the way.

Vancouver? Our spine is solid. Ousted, Waston and Laba are healthy and we will be tough to score on but our midfield is gutted with injuries. If the opponent score first they just don't win.

Archived