Ranking our Goalkeepers

Obinna

Idea taken from the "Ranking our Central Defenders" Thread. Based on Floro's 4-1-4-1 system. Based on how I think Floro ranks them in importance, as of today. Consideration is given to those who I think will be in the picture for the Semi-Final round of World Cup Qualifying, but rankings are still based on where they stand as of right now. If someone is left off, it is because I believe they will not used baring some sort of injury crisis. When I say used, I mean as "called up to a WCQ", not necessarily that they will get game time.

Goalkeepers

1. Borjan

2. Stamatopolis

3. Roberts

4. Crepeau

5. Thomas

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is - without a doubt - the toughest position to rank because so few of these goalies are starters.

With Crepeau starting ahead of Roberts for the first two games of the U23s, you've got to think he's edged ahead. Good to see Thomas back in the picture. Irving will start moving up the boards if he's drafted high in MLS.

Our goalkeeping depth is razor thin. We have 2 guys (Borjan and Stama) playing at an adequate level and a few others who could be in the conversation if they found a club (Stillo and Monsalve). Thomas starting in Norwegian 2nd has to be our #3 atm. Adding Leutweiler and even Fernandes would give us some insurance in case one or both of our top goalies goes down or gets suspended.

Should be the #2 behind Borjan IMO. Stama doesn't play much at AIK anymore. And he's also 36.

I'd place him behind Thomas currently because Thomas is seeing more action. I'd want to still see him, Bečić and Leutwiler play for us to see if anyone can contend for #2 or #3 maybe even #1.

And now he's playing in Finland which is equivalent to NASL level.

I disagree, in terms of pay (a useful tool for soccer) Finland has higher average salary than the NASL in  by 5-10k and Finland, who rank 64th in the world, have capped 12 players from the Finnish league in the past year, I don't think the NASL had half that many players capped internationally for lesser teams than Finland.

I disagree, in terms of pay (a useful tool for soccer) Finland has higher average salary than the NASL in  by 5-10k and Finland, who rank 64th in the world, have capped 12 players from the Finnish league in the past year, I don't think the NASL had half that many players capped internationally for lesser teams than Finland.

Also even our opponent Ghana, a team we wish we could be have called up a player from the Finnish league to face us.  Not to mention players for similar teams like Estonia, Jamaica etc. it irritates me that we look down on certain leagues that could really benefit us.  It's a shame that Charlie Trafford has had to wait so long to be called to our MNT.

Also on a similar note we look down on League One but Jamaica calls up a player from League Two?  And he (Joel Grant) is complete garbage, he plays for my local club Exeter City and I watch him every weekend.  He has no business even being on the pitch and he's a Jamaica regular.

I've seen some Jamaicans posting that Hoilett was right to choose Canada because he wouldn't make Jamaica and they must honestly be out of their minds.  Hoilett would walk onto Jamaica in a heart beat.  Look at their team... they have zero players at the quality level of Will Johnson, Hutchinson or Hoilett.. heck even Larin.  Giles Barnes is okay but after that?  

Watch the highlights from yesterday, there are 4/6 goals scored that are better than I've seen anyone on the CMNT score in years.  

It's tough to rate levels but there is no chance that USL Pro is anything higher than conference level IMO.  Finland maybe League Two level... NASL is probably between conference/League Two and MLS between League One/Championship.

I agree with everything but MLS= League One/Championship. Over the past 2 years the mls teams have become equivalent to mid tier championship sides.

And my comment agrees with that.  I'm talking about the general level... for instance if you take Bradley and Altidore out of TFC for international duty and Giovinco is injured, what are you left with?  A League One/Two side and the majority of the time that's what you see on the pitch.  I can't count many times when I've watched a Championship level TFC side compete.  You can't just go on starting XIs assuming everyone is healthy all the time and that's the major fault of MLS.  They want you to believe they are knocking on the door of EPL quality but in reality it's League One/Championship level because of the structure and rules.

The league needs to build some real depth and then we can talk about it being Championship level consistently (in the playoffs, yes I would agree it is Championship level.. the playoffs are great quality).  For instance QPR at the moment are a mid table Championship side, but there is no chance that a MLS team would have Hoilett out of it's 18.  

Also look at MLS players who are considered regulars.  Look at our players for instance who feature regularly... Lefevre, Teibert, Bernier, Osorio, Akindele.. I'd like to believe they could play Championship ball but seriously doubt it, they would be League One players (as I said in another thread maybe one of them could play Championship).  And vice versa a guy like David Edgar would be a "star" defender in MLS.  Outside of Larin and Johnson I couldn't tell you a Canadian that would be purchased by a Championship club (EPL in the case of Larin due to his age)... and I always rated Henry on these boards and he was sold to an EPL club and has played Championship ball at a young age. There are few players who can do it, England is a tough place where you need to be special.  

Many countries call players from their domestic leagues worldwide and in a lot of cases their FIFA ranking has little bearing on the strength of their domestic league. Albania, Hungary, Slovenia, Jamaica, T&T have all called domestic players in similar #'s to Finland and their leagues are either weaker or not much better than NASL.

Your money argument makes sense if there's a big difference, but 5-10k is not significant. 

Hands down Kenny Stamatopoulos is our best GK at the moment. I was apprehensive when seeing the "third string" keeper get the start at the GC but he was nothing but solid and made great saves keeping the team in the matches. I like Borjan but how many times has he shown uncertainty and made dangerous decisions which were costly.  Kenny deserves the go ahead in the next round. 

Many countries call players from their domestic leagues worldwide and in a lot of cases their FIFA ranking has little bearing on the strength of their domestic league. Albania, Hungary, Slovenia, Jamaica, T&T have all called domestic players in similar #'s to Finland and their leagues are either weaker or not much better than NASL.

Your money argument makes sense if there's a big difference, but 5-10k is not significant. 

NASL still hasn't seen anywhere near the number of call ups and, correct me if I'm wrong, with the exception of Hungary, i don't believe any of the UEFA nations you listed are calling up domestic players at the same rate Finland is and a good number of teams like Serbia and Switzerland, who have a better leagues, don't call up from their domestic league with any real regularity.

I would say 5-10K is significant when you look at the value of both leagues. With a similar number of teams (12 fin, 11 nasl) and players (296 fin, 287 nasl) the leagues have an difference of an estimated player value of nearly 14.5m Euro.

Archived