Ranking our Goalkeepers

Obinna

6 hours ago, shamrock said:

Halldorsson is being called to the Euros for Iceland. That means Thomas will get his shot for at least that period and as Halldorsson is loaned from NEC and still on a contract, possibly longer. Unless of course Bodo / Glimmt bring in another starter...

Halldorson would miss at most one match on the 22nd due to Euros.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

I think he would miss three matches and then I believe his loan is up at the end of June. So he basically has two games left if this is right.

Sun 22/05/16 ELI Bodø / Glimt 06 : 00 Aalesund   More info
Wed 25/05/16 NMC Bodø / Glimt 09 : 00 Haugesund   More info
Sun 29/05/16 ELI Viking 09 : 00 Bodø / Glimt

How did I miss thoese matches? I went to soccerway and saw no games until July after the 22nd. Anyways, even then. Do we know when teams have to release their players? If selected, Giovinco is supposed to leave TFC after the game on the 28th. So, it's probably only the game on the 29th that Halldorson would miss. And even then, it's highly possible that Halldorson plays on the 29th.

I think Halldorsson would be in camp fairly early. Iceland plays its firs Eurot lead up friendly on June 1 against Norway. So it is doubtful he would play on the 29th. Based on nothing, I bet his last game is the 22nd  i.e. he has three more games as starter. and then skips the Cup game on the 25th and would be off to the camp. So, Thomas starts on the 22nd and 29th, goes to the Canada camp and then takes over as #1 starter in July because Halldorsson's loan is up. If I get this right I will start buying lottery tickets.

30 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

I think Halldorsson would be in camp fairly early. Iceland plays its firs Eurot lead up friendly on June 1 against Norway. So it is doubtful he would play on the 29th. Based on nothing, I bet his last game is the 22nd  i.e. he has three more games as starter. and then skips the Cup game on the 25th and would be off to the camp. So, Thomas starts on the 22nd and 29th, goes to the Canada camp and then takes over as #1 starter in July because Halldorsson's loan is up. If I get this right I will start buying lottery tickets.

Honestly, methinks this is the one time Thomas should reject a Canada call up to focus on his club career. If he's finally getting a chance at a #1 gig at a decent level, this is not the right time to play third string national team keeper behind Borjan and Stama, just a couple games into that stint.

Edit: And now that I thought I made a good argument, I notice there are no games scheduled for June. So, never mind.

12 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

I'm confused by that statement. Is his last game on the 22nd or is Thomas starting on the 22nd?

13 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

I'm confused by that statement. Is his last game on the 22nd or is Thomas starting on the 22nd?

Sorry, too many dates. Thomas starts from the 25th onward. I really hope this crystal ball has a return policy if this doesn't work out . . . .

On 10/05/2016 at 2:58 PM, Vince193 said:

I wonder what three get called up. Borjan isn't playing but is Floro's #1. Thomas and Stamatopolous have also not played. Chencinski is the only one who has played, but I don't know if Floro calls him up.

http://www.expressen.se/kvallsposten/sport/hif-keeperns-mal-en-plats-i-landslaget/

This article poorly translated states 

The 31-year-old Canadian had the chance HIF-target when Matt Pyzdrowski was injured.

Now he is one of the HIF's shape strongest players, and is four in keeper league with 78 in save percentage.

Fourth in the league in save percentage is pretty good. I think it is saying Tomer has won the starting position for now??

Seems to be a good chance for a call and also a possibility to start.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know much about him (keepers always looks good on highlights reel of their saves) but the fact he is starting in Sweden and that we haven't many options at his position should've been good enough for a call for the June friendlies.

I remember he had a tough time against Belarus 3 years ago but obviously, he has improved his game/confidence since then. 

21 minutes ago, aloyol said:

I don't know much about him (keepers always looks good on highlights reel of their saves) but the fact he is starting in Sweden and that we haven't many options at his position should've been good enough for a call for the June friendlies.

I remember he had a tough time against Belarus 3 years ago but obviously, he has improved his game/confidence since then. 

The more realistic rankings should be based on Floro's preferences.

1. Borjan

2. Stama

3. Thomas

4. lol no

1 hour ago, aloyol said:

it wasn't really his saves that impressed me, as most if not all of them were saves he should make... But the decision making and awareness he displays in these highlights impress me more than Stama (haven't seen much of Thomas). This is only four games, he makes a lot of nice plays in 4 games, so im assuming either he doesn't make many bad choices or his team are giving up way too many opportunities... Maybe i'm being delusional right now...

4 hours ago, BradMack said:

it wasn't really his saves that impressed me, as most if not all of them were saves he should make... But the decision making and awareness he displays in these highlights impress me more than Stama (haven't seen much of Thomas). This is only four games, he makes a lot of nice plays in 4 games, so im assuming either he doesn't make many bad choices or his team are giving up way too many opportunities... Maybe i'm being delusional right now...

It is a highlight reel though and it does not show the goals scored against him in these games, 7 goals in 4 games though they did win 3 of the 4 games. He has been scored on 16 times in 9 games this season and has yet to have a clean sheet though to be fair Helsingborg seems to be a pretty poor team this year. He does seem to have won the starting position but the competition wasn't that great, a 29 year old American keeper who played 3 games for Portland in NASL and then played several years in the Swedish 2nd division before last year becoming the backup at Helsingborg. I watched quite a bit of Chechinski play a few years ago and he always had some natural shot stopping ability but was very erratic and decision making was his biggest weakness plus his positioning was often poor. He was also very very bad in his one national team appearance. I haven't watched him in a while and it is possible he has improved in some of these areas with experience and we don't have a lot of keepers getting playing time at a good level so it would not hurt to give him a look. Still I would have to see more than these highlights and in particular would like to see the goals before changing my opinion on him. Still at 31 I suspect he won't be more than a depth keeper for us from what I have seen unless he has had some massive improvement in his play.

10 hours ago, squizz1402635577 said:

I'm shocked and disappointed that no one has mentioned Drew Beckie as an option.

He's gotta be at least fifth or sixth on the depth chart right now.

Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault's playing in PLSQ. I'd put him in front of Beckie right now.

• 3 weeks later...

lol, but seriously though, does this do anything for his career? I'm not well versed in how the Central American leagues work. Does this give him a chance at being poached by a team in a stronger central league? Costa Rica? Or is the level so low that it wont really matter?

On 2016-06-01 at 7:11 AM, Blackdude said:

Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault's playing in PLSQ. I'd put him in front of Beckie right now.

why isn't JBB playing for fc montreal. Monsalve wasn't every good when he played for Fced. I don't have much hope for him or thomas. Hopefully they have improved.

Archived