Ranking our Goalkeepers

Obinna

39 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I think we really need Leutwiler on board. Nevermind playing time, imagine if one or both of Borjan or Stama picked up an injury or were otherwise unavailable? Yikes...

Full agree. A legit. third keeper is direly needed as insurance. Though Leutweiler at this point would probably be #2.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, One American said:

The keepers on Canadian MLS teams, with the possible exception of Ousted, aren't exactly league standouts. If I were Canadian, I would be pretty irate about Crepeau being behind Bush.

Bush is really good, no idea what you're talking about

1 hour ago, Blackdude said:

OUsted won't be eligible until after the World Cup at the earliest per FIFA rules. He's played with Denmark at the U19 level. I don't know though if it was an official competition.

I'm not suggesting that Ousted is a candidate to play for Canada. I was noting that the guy claiming that our young goalkeepers (Carducci, Roberts, Crepeau) are languishing behind a sea of foreign rubbish was talking nonsense. 

15 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'm not suggesting that Ousted is a candidate to play for Canada. I was noting that the guy claiming that our young goalkeepers (Carducci, Roberts, Crepeau) are languishing behind a sea of foreign rubbish was talking nonsense. 

Exactly, although you could make a case for Roberts at TFC. I never really rated Joe Bendik. Ousted and Bush are both quite good though.

On 2/28/2016 at 5:55 AM, Obinna said:

Exactly, although you could make a case for Roberts at TFC. I never really rated Joe Bendik. Ousted and Bush are both quite good though.

Which brings up the point... can we get Bush a passport and cap his ass already!

Edit: I would rate Bush 2nd on our depth chart if he were in the Canadian player pool, though I personally think Ousted is the best keeper int he league and much better than Bush, who I think is average to above average for MLS starters. 

That Ousted is the "best" keeper in the league just shows how mediocre the keeping is overall in MLS.

I mean, he is nowhere near being a modern keeper, he has no footwork, no tactical savvy, and he totally lacks confidence playing out. Sure, he does the priority stuff well: he is a shot stopper, and a good one, no doubt about it. Good reflexes, reliable in the air, good positioning, all very well. Leads from the back, for sure, and in the dressing room. But still, modern keepers are way more than that and in all the strong leagues you see quite a few of them. I don't think MLS has a single keeper remotely resembling what 21st keeping is all about.

Even the top leagues have a shortage of goalkeepers who have the whole package that you describe. I don't think it's a black mark against MLS that they can't attract Manuel Neuer, Thibault Courtois, or Hugo Lloris. There are only a few of them in the world and they are always going to the biggest clubs in the biggest leagues. 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That Ousted is the "best" keeper in the league just shows how mediocre the keeping is overall in MLS.

I mean, he is nowhere near being a modern keeper, he has no footwork, no tactical savvy, and he totally lacks confidence playing out. Sure, he does the priority stuff well: he is a shot stopper, and a good one, no doubt about it. Good reflexes, reliable in the air, good positioning, all very well. Leads from the back, for sure, and in the dressing room. But still, modern keepers are way more than that and in all the strong leagues you see quite a few of them. I don't think MLS has a single keeper remotely resembling what 21st keeping is all about.

No footwork: It's funny, he started off as a outfield player and I've often heard comments from the coaching staff, to the affect that he actually has very good "footballing" skills. Apparently beats some of the outfield players in dribbling drills. But I agree that I've hardly ever seen him use his feet in a game. He distributes well with his hands, but again, does not get involved as an 11th passing option or support the build up in the way that many "modern" keepers do. I wonder why that is... I'm not sure if that's a team tactic thing or something lacking in his mentality/confidence.

Lacks confidence playing out: I felt this was a big issue 2 years ago when he came to MLS, but he's worked on it a lot with Marius Røvde and I think it's since then been corrected.

1 hour ago, A_Gagne said:

No footwork: It's funny, he started off as a outfield player and I've often heard comments from the coaching staff, to the affect that he actually has very good "footballing" skills. Apparently beats some of the outfield players in dribbling drills. But I agree that I've hardly ever seen him use his feet in a game. He distributes well with his hands, but again, does not get involved as an 11th passing option or support the build up in the way that many "modern" keepers do. I wonder why that is... I'm not sure if that's a team tactic thing or something lacking in his mentality/confidence.

Lacks confidence playing out: I felt this was a big issue 2 years ago when he came to MLS, but he's worked on it a lot with Marius Røvde and I think it's since then been corrected.

I am not doubting his ability, though I did not know about those details, interesting. Lots of keepers have good skills. Many more don't. Ousted is not asked to use them and over and over again, he makes like he is going to pass out then kicks long. 

The simple fact is no team in MLS plays their keepers in a remotely 21st century way, they are all journeymen shot-stoppers, and we rate them and evaluate them and send them to the All-Star game on that basis alone. That is why many rate Ousted as the best in MLS. 

I confess of our current keepers I really only know Kenny well, I've seen him play a couple of times over a long period and, well, he is pretty well this kind of keeper too, a very competent keeper and a great professional.

On 2/27/2016 at 4:29 AM, SthMelbRed said:

Possibly Ousted? He's only the best 'keeper in the league.

The best keeper in the league was pretty thoroughly shown up in the goal keeper duel with Bush. Maybe Ousted is having great games when I am not watching the Caps but I can't say I am ever very impressed by him in the Caps games that I do watch. Anyway it is unlikely either will play for Canada.

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

The best keeper in the league was pretty thoroughly shown up in the goal keeper duel with Bush. Maybe Ousted is having great games when I am not watching the Caps but I can't say I am ever very impressed by him in the Caps games that I do watch. Anyway it is unlikely either will play for Canada.

He had a bad game on Sunday. That doesn't negate two season's at or near the top of the league's GK rankings. Bush did look very good in that 1 game, though. Carducci and Crepeau clearly have tough roads ahead if either is going to win their clubs' No. 1 shirts anytime soon.

• 1 month later...

Two questions:

Where does Monsalve rank in the list now that he is playing regularly for the best team in Guatemala? 

Where does he go from here? I'm assuming he'll want to get to a better league but where does one jump to from Guatemala? Mexico? MLS? Costa Rica? head back to Scandanavia? 

He's got three games left in the season. Assuming his team doesn't falter they will be #1 for the Clausura before the playoffs.

I think Monsalve's ranking amongst our keepers is inflated due to the fact that he's really the only keeper playing regular minutes outside of USL right now.

I would argue that as of today Monsalve is 5th on the depth chart, behind Borjan, Stamapoulos, Thomas and Crepeau, and in that order. Should either of Farago or Roberts manage to get more than the odd start in their respective leagues I would think they leap over Monsalve.

Even considering Stamatopoulos will likely be retiring soon, I just don't see Monsalve ever in the national team GK picture with the entry of Crepeau into the senior team picture. Outside of his few games with America de Cali he's never played at a high level. Given that he's turning 28 in December, I have doubts he ever will play at a high level ever again.

^ I can agree with this but i will start by saying Jaime Penedo was playing for Municipal in guatemala for many years, And Jaime Is a very decent gk. Now Penedo is at Saprissa, I dont think Monsalve should be discounted because he plays in Central America, I think if he can be given a chance in a camp, then there the coaches can pass judgement. I think also Monsalve's experience in CA can come in handy when playing central american opposition.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's only a matter of time before one of our young guys starts getting some playing time. Roberts has been on the bench for tfc most of the year and Crepeau has been on the bench recently for Montreal. With their recent Canadian impact who knows. They are both young as well. Within two years I bet we have at least 2 starting mls goalies, with Carducci, Pantemis,  and Irving as possibilities as well.

5 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I think it's only a matter of time before one of our young guys starts getting some playing time. Roberts has been on the bench for tfc most of the year and Crepeau has been on the bench recently for Montreal. With their recent Canadian impact who knows. They are both young as well. Within two years I bet we have at least 2 starting mls goalies, with Carducci and Irving as possibilities as well.

What ever happened to Irving?

• 2 weeks later...

Halldorsson is being called to the Euros for Iceland. That means Thomas will get his shot for at least that period and as Halldorsson is loaned from NEC and still on a contract, possibly longer. Unless of course Bodo / Glimmt bring in another starter...

This is good news. At this rate I think we'll see Thomas, Stama and Chechinski (outside shot for Monsalve) at the June camp. This assumes Borjan is still injured.

If Thomas gets to start then we'll actually have three keepers Thomas, Monsalve, Chechinski starting for their first teams (and Lars too but at a level lower). Better than a few months ago when there was really nobody. I really hope (again, this is like groundhog day) that Borjan goes to a decent team where he actually becomes, and remains, the starter.  

Archived