Voyageurs Cup Presentation

1) The Voyageurs Cup must be presented by a Voyageur!

2) The Cup being presented by a Voyageur means a Voyageur hands the Cup to the winning team! It does not mean the Voyageur merely brings the Cup onto the field like some anonymous stadium staff member and places it on a table so a CSA or provincial official can make the presentation instead of a Voyaguer. It used to be presented by a Voyageur and now the ceremony has been hijacked by soccer bureaucrats.

3) It is our Cup, we decide how and if it will be presented.

Victor didn't look terribly impartial either. I hadn't seen that level of ego for at least five minutes (when Michael Buble literally demanded that the cameraman put him on TV). Whether he presented the cup or not, it was great seeing Nazz out there. On a personal note, he helped bring me into the Voyageurs and indirectly to the Caps. Definitely the classiest North Burnaby Italian-Canadian on camera last night!

First time I have seen the Voyageur Cup being presented. Is it normal for players to parade around with their non-Canadian home country flags? Why is it important for these players to tell everyone that they are not Canadian even though they just won the Canadian Championship? Seemed out of place to me.

I noticed that too, but I wonder if it starts in the stands.....It seems the latest trend in Vancouver is waving every flag except Canada's. Wether it be BC's, other regional flags nobody knows, every other country's. This both at vcup matches and the WWC. Can you blame some of them for not realizing the significance of the Cup with only one Canadian on the pitch at kick off?

I noticed that too, but I wonder if it starts in the stands.....It seems the latest trend in Vancouver is waving every flag except Canada's. Wether it be BC's, other regional flags nobody knows, every other country's. This both at vcup matches and the WWC. Can you blame some of them for not realizing the significance of the Cup with only one Canadian on the pitch at kick off?

Seriously?

If you didnt notice the trend there is a different tifo every year. 2 years ago it was Canada flags, last year was BC flags and this year was Vancouver flags. Russell Teibert was celebrating with a Canada flag because that's where he comes from. The rest of the players were celebrating with their own countries flags. This happens with championships all over the world. You think they didnt realize the significance? Everyone was going mental. We are a diverse country full of immigrants, it's not surprising there are other countries flags around the stadium.

Seriously? C'mon. How could anyone watching have missed Teibert going over to the south side and trading his jersey for a Canadian flag (one of many in the section) which he had draped around his shoulders for the next half hour, including when he accepted the tournament MVP award and, together with Morales, hoisted the Cup itself (classy move by Morales to have Teibert lift it with him)?

Victor didn't look terribly impartial either. I hadn't seen that level of ego for at least five minutes (when Michael Buble literally demanded that the cameraman put him on TV). Whether he presented the cup or not, it was great seeing Nazz out there. On a personal note, he helped bring me into the Voyageurs and indirectly to the Caps. Definitely the classiest North Burnaby Italian-Canadian on camera last night!

Chris, thank you for the kind words! TBH I was just following the script last night. I was mentioned on the Stadium PA and shown on the Jumbotron holding the Cup and wearing a V's scarf. Our presence was there although perhaps a bit minimal.  

A discussion with the CSA regarding this subject would be beneficial. I can see how difficult this can be to make happen. 

Also, I know Vic from when we played on the same team briefly in the early eighties. Great central midfielder. I wouldn't say he is overly egotistical. He did thank me for representing the Voyageurs.  

I agree with Grizzly on the presentation, but don't agree that there is total silence on the board about the Caps winning from Impact and TFC fans, but they DO come on to pull out their douche bags and start screaming about the smell--when it's the same smell they have always had so dear to them.

Meaning, I'd believe the sincercity of the bitchin' if it didn't coincide with the bitterness of defeat.

I don't get rhe homerism and biased view form the Voyageurs now bitching about lack of Canadian flags in the stands. The entire stadium was pro-Canadian. Even in the skytrain after the game, saw many people with Whitecaps jerseys and Canadian small flags. This is the first time that I actually witnessed Mexican fans talking about supporting the Caps over any other local teams and hoe much they prefer watching MLS over the more popular Canucks. The entire city and team is cosmopolitan and you'll always find people wearing there flag colours in a championship. Guess some of you haven't watched a Champions League, Copa Libertadores or Club World Cup Final with players draped around there flags of origins and proud to win this trophy. As one of the original contributors to the V-cup out West when we were all talking on how the Cup ahould look, I'm proud of the Caps accomplishment now and putting a strong team to make a statement to the fans and city that this tournament means something. I hope a decade from now we'll see a starting 5-6 canadian born players on the Caps holding up the V-cup.

I would actually suggest that two voyageurs present the cup by carrying it onto the pitch and handing it to the team captain. Two carrying the cup makes it more of a "group" thing and would be even more impressive if the two supporters were from each of the two teams playing in the final and wearing team scarves over Voyageurs shirts or vice versa.

• 9 months later...

Yes, Grizzly, but it was set up and arranged and agreed to by people who are currently seen as the official representatives of the Voyageurs. From what I saw. And the CSA is fine with that, of course.

I 100% agree that has to be sorted out, being one of the only original contributors in the stadium last night, you can imagine it crossed my mind. As I woke up yesterday in Barcelona and it was 6 Am my time when it ended, I was not there to complain, but now I could.

I left after the goal regardless because no way I am going to watch any sort of red-toned fun and games at BC Place, wrong colour combination. 

On July 6, 2016 at 4:22 PM, xcalibre said:

Can't we just hold on to it and when they try to grab it, just say our understanding was that it would be a Vee handing it over? Can't imagine Richard Scott is going to get Lord Bob in a headlock or anything

His arms would need to be much longer to reach around Bobbo's head. 

If I get the chance, I'll steal it. And hold it for ransom until our demands are met. 

They'll never find it, BTW, though those who "like" me on this board will be able to come over to the shrine, after being blindfolded and driven in circles of course. I'll set it up and I'll pull back the curtains for a few seconds, ring a gong, and people will tell the story of what the Voyageurs Cup was supposed to be.

Archived