Impact vs Alajuelense March 18

Am I the only one dreading having to listen to Lloyd Barker and Gerry Dobson tonight? It's bad enough that we had to listen to Barker praise Jonathan DeGuzman throughout the World Cup, but when it comes to the Champions League he has zero idea what he's talking about. Which is a problem when you've been hired as a pundit. Somehow the Montreal Gazette gave him a column and yesterday he wrote about Alajuelense danger men Johan Ulloa and Jose Picado. The only problem is that their named are Johan Venegas and Jose Ortiz. So fine, he got confused with Spanish naming customs (though I eagerly await him writing 'Lionel Cuccittini' from Barcelona), but the bigger issue is that it's clear he has no idea who these guys actually are. He's never seen them play, isn't aware that Venegas scored in Costa Rica's 3-3 draw and Uruguay in the fall and just looked up who scored in their recent matches.

​Sportsnet tries to hype up a Champions League semifinal (as they should) and yet their on-air people don't put in any work to learn about what they're going to call.

That might seem a little harsh, but after their performance in the return leg from Pachuca (where I felt like they were almost trolling their audience), it feels justified. The most remarkable of their errors that night included Gerry not understanding the formation Pachuca played in either leg, not knowing who Walter Ayovi was, nor having the first clue where he was playing and constantly calling players of a different ethnicity Ayovi, them mentioning that one of Pachuca's most influential players, Jorge Hernandez, had been signed earlier in the week and they were surprised he was playing!? when the resting of the three-year veteran in leg 1 should have been a major talking point. Anyway, you get the point, but I needed to vent as Sportsnet seems to be actually getting worse at covering the domestic game in this country.

I wish the Impact well, I think Toia is going to have his hands full with Venegas and I expect Alajuelense to try to spring Ortiz and McDonald and use their pace to counter quickly, so the central defenders and Reo-Coker and Donadel are going to have to be aware. On the other hand, I think if they play Oduro out wide in place of Mapp he could have a good go at the left back Peralta. It'll be interesting to see what Tissot can do if he ends up out there instead.

cheers,

matthew

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok calm down now regarding Dobson and Barker they are not the best but come on not as bad as you make them out to be, the most overrated play by play guy in Canada is Nigel Reed,  but because of his English accent people think he is the real deal but talk about being uninformed about what he is talking about and he makes Barker look like a genius! 

So with 33,675 people in attendance this is the 5th highest CONCACAF Champions league game attendance which is why it sounds so good. 4 of the 5 highest attendance games are in Canada. If Montreal makes the final I would expect a sellout next time.

I personally couldn't find a source that confirms them, but those numbers should not be understated or brushed aside. There's appetite for properly run and well marketed footy in Canada. Concacaf doesn't even do a great job with its CL, yet Canada has shown up.

So with 33,675 people in attendance this is the 5th highest CONCACAF Champions league game attendance which is why it sounds so good.  4 of the 5 highest attendance games are in Canada.  If Montreal makes the final I would expect a sellout next time.

Who's one number?

Well played, Montreal.   Good game.  

What a great game! Well played. I am surprised I am finding myself supporting Montreal so much. Though after the game I had a thought... what if they win this bloody thing? What kind of crap are Montreal fans gonna talk to TFC fans? "You haven't made it to the playoffs AND you haven't even won a Champions League!"

There was a thread on Big Soccer.  They announced the attendance on the TV broadcast as 33,675 tonight.  Going into tonight here is the list:

1. 1. 55,571 - Montreal v. Santos Laguna - February 25, 2009 -

Canada

2. 47,658 - Toronto v. Los Angeles - March 7, 2012 -

Canada

3. 43,000 - America v. Saprissa - March 4, 2015 -

Mexico

4. 38,104 - Montreal v. Pachuca - March 3, 2015 -

Canada

5. 33,667 - Monterrey v. Santos Laguna - May 1, 2013 -

Mexico

6. 33,000 - Monterrey v. Morelia - March 13, 2012 -

Mexico

7. 32,810 - UANL v. Seattle - March 6, 2013 -

Mexico

Alajuelense coach is correct that the ref missed a crucial penalty, in the sense that usually that penalty would be given in CONCACAF. A single tear rolls down my cheek.

Mtl played well but that should ve been a pk at the end. Soumare was lucky.

I have to point out that Alajuelense played 14 Costa Rica players tonight. I'm not trying to be negative, just food for thought.

Oh believe me, I was being 100% snide and sarcastic. On the other hand wishing there were more Canadians who could start that game doesn't make them magically exist, or leave Besiktas.

So with 33,675 people in attendance this is the 5th highest CONCACAF Champions league game attendance which is why it sounds so good.  4 of the 5 highest attendance games are in Canada.  If Montreal makes the final I would expect a sellout next time.

If they make the final they will play on either April 22 or 29th and therefore play at Stade Saputo 20,000+ capacity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014%E2%80%9315_CONCACAF_Champions_League

The Ultras did get through to the crowd last night but nothing compared to what they provide at Saputo.

Apples and Oranges. You do realize Alajualense is almost 100 years old and Costa Rica has had its own league since 1921? 

Boy, I hope I live to 136 years old, so I can see a Montreal Impact team that plays 14 Canadians!

(Edit :Sorry if that came us as snide, but in other words, what's your point?  I was just making an interesting observation...impressed with Costa Rican football lately, huge win for Montreal, but I wouldn't necessarily celebrate a Canada over Costa Rica victory here.  That's MY point.  At least not yet.  Maybe 20 years of football culture will bring a difference, but then I've preached ever since I joined these boards that eventually having pro teams influencing youth culture in Canada would eventually breed talented Canadian players.  I would never disagree with you on that, I've been known to make that same point myself multiple times and have been doing so a long time.  Better bloody not take 100 years though)

Archived