Impact vs Alajuelense March 18

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh believe me, I was being 100% snide and sarcastic. On the other hand wishing there were more Canadians who could start that game doesn't make them magically exist, or leave Besiktas.

I know you were my man, sometimes someone quoting you is adding to you point rather than contradicting it :) That was my intention.

I have to point out that Alajuelense played 14 Costa Rica players tonight.  I'm not trying to be negative, just food for thought.

14? Are you sure? I'm 100% sure it was maximum 13. I know that Pablo Gabas played from the little I can remember yesterday and he's not Costa Rican. I'm just wondering, what is the maximum quota of foreign players in CR? 4? (Only looked at the 3 major clubs and one had 4 the other 2 had 3)

(shrugs) No I'm not sure, but it's semantics anyways to me.  13 or 14, whatever.  Soccerway has Gabas listed as Costa Rican, but then again they still have Keven Aleman listed as Costa Rican too.  I was never one to argue over the semantics of a point, the original point stands.  Not that I was making a huge point, again, just pointing out an interesting fact (IF it's a fact). 

But to a point that you are (possibly?) trying to allude to...I honestly don't think Canada is ready for such a quota...if they had it, I don't necessarily think they could be MLS competitive (again, YET).  Our rules, for better or for worse, as we all know, include Americans as domestics.  But I think if we want to discuss THAT can of worms of a point, it would be better done in a different thread, I'm causing enough of a derail to this one as it is, regrettably.  

(shrugs) No I'm not sure, but it's semantics anyways to me.  13 or 14, whatever.  Soccerway has Gabas listed as Costa Rican, but then again they still have Keven Aleman listed as Costa Rican too.  I was never one to argue over the semantics of a point, the original point stands.  Not that I was making a huge point, again, just pointing out an interesting fact (IF it's a fact). 

But to a point that you are (possibly?) trying to allude to...I honestly don't think Canada is ready for such a quota...if they had it, I don't necessarily think they could be MLS competitive (again, YET).  Our rules, for better or for worse, as we all know, include Americans as domestics.  But I think if we want to discuss THAT can of worms of a point, it would be better done in a different thread, I'm causing enough of a derail to this one as it is, regrettably.  

I'll be honest, it wasn't the point that was being made. I just want to give out facts. Your point is valid. I get it, but I also said that Costa Rican clubs have a quota that is so damn high that it rarely happens for a club to play a game without 11 Costa Ricans.

I'll be honest, it wasn't the point that was being made. I just want to give out facts. Your point is valid. I get it, but I also said that Costa Rican clubs have a quota that is so damn high that it rarely happens for a club to play a game without 11 Costa Ricans.

Still successful, clubs and country though, that's the point I'm making, especially for such a relatively smaller country.  Soccer crazy.  I'm glad soccer is gaining popularity in US and Canada, I hope that trend continues.  It REALLY annoys me that people still leave out soccer when talking about cities having big league teams, etc.  The "Big Four" being MLB, NFL, NBA and NHL.  

Soccer is getting more mainstream all the time.  But unlike the "Big Four", MLS doesn't have the best players available in the world.  Perhaps that may always be the difference?  Or is that culture STARTING to change?  Let's go ask Frank Lampard!

Hm.  Herediano beat Club America...and they did it without, Villa, Kaka OR Lampard...

Yep Costa Rica impresses me.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep Costa Rica impresses me.

Me too. Their strides in international football have been very impressive. They are obviously doing some things right there. I just think you can't compare the situations between Costa Rica and Canada right now. You've explained your stance and I can go a long way with it. It's all so slow I understand, but I really believe Soccer will become big in Canada soon, it will be Canada's second sport (after Curling obviously).

Archived