MLS CBA agreed to

baulderdash77

Details are still coming out.

5 Year deal

15% Increase in salary cap immediately + annual increases (not saying what those are)

Min player salary raised to $60k plus annual increases (not saying what those are)

Free agency at Age 28 with 8 years experience

• Players with <100k salary can receive 25% raise in free agency
  • Players with 100k-200k can receive 20% raise in free agency
  • Players with >200k can receive 15% raise in free agency

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-city-lions/on-the-pitch/os-mls-players-avoid-strike-orlando-city-20150304-post.html

*edit*  The raise information in free agency is being clarified.  It's limited free agency even at age 28.

Except for the Lampard mess, this has been an excellent off-season for MLS with the new teams, new San Jose stadium, the progressing USL affiliation, expansion sites beating down their door and they signed Audi as a new national sponsor.

Now, someone just has to force pro-rel down their throat!

I know the details are on the way, but I have to make a guess here and say that there MUST be something in here about Canadians as domestic rule.  The timing of the signing of Ouimette today could be a good sign.

Also, even De Jong's signing could be indicative of the fact that the different versions of the CBA all had a provision for Canadians.

The new CBA is interesting, but THIS, for us could end up being the most interesting part.  Stay tuned.  As it stands, if they say you can even count ONE Canadian as a domestic, that's still an improvement over 2014.

And if that DID lead to Ouimette's signing, then already it saved one player a top tier job in North America.

I know the details are on the way, but I have to make a guess here and say that there MUST be something in here about Canadians as domestic rule.  The timing of the signing of Ouimette today could be a good sign.

Also, even De Jong's signing could be indicative of the fact that the different versions of the CBA all had a provision for Canadians.

The new CBA is interesting, but THIS, for us could end up being the most interesting part.  Stay tuned.  As it stands, if they say you can even count ONE Canadian as a domestic, that's still an improvement over 2014.

And if that DID lead to Ouimette's signing, then already it saved one player a top tier job in North America.

I have a feeling there is nothing in the agreement about Canadians but probably there is some influence coming from MLS head office to sign some Canadians on US teams to shut us Canadian fans up.

the 60k min wage (pending on details), just kicked NASL on the ass.

With USL likely to pick up those that didn't make the MLS cut, b/c USL's affiliation with MLS means easier way back to MLS. NASL will also have harder time attracting fringe MLS talents with that 60k min wage

Or...and just hear me out...maybe there is something in that CBA lol.  I could be wrong, but we'll find out soon enough.

I don't think there will be anything because no one will be fighting for it.  The players won't fight for it because that just creates competition for their jobs.  The owners (especially the American ones) don't care.  Adding that to the CBA is not a win for anyone.

the 60k min wage (pending on details), just kicked NASL on the ass.

With USL likely to pick up those that didn't make the MLS cut, b/c USL's affiliation with MLS means easier way back to MLS. NASL will also have harder time attracting fringe MLS talents with that 60k min wage

I read somewhere that there's a reserve salary minimum of $50k. Don't know where that came from or what it exactly means, but if the USL is paying $50k per player, NASL has some big problems.

Possibly, but considering that their strike fund was so low...I think if MLS decided to, say, wait them out...

Or bring in replacement players from all over the world for several games until the players caved in. 8 imports and 6 non-union domestics and you have a starting 11 with a few subs. It would do for a few games. Long enough to crack the union.

The players got what they could and it's better than what they had. Good enough for this round.

Or bring in replacement players from all over the world for several games until the players caved in. 8 imports and 6 non-union domestics and you have a starting 11 with a few subs. It would do for a few games. Long enough to crack the union.

You can't do that in Canada.

I read somewhere that there's a reserve salary minimum of $50k. Don't know where that came from or what it exactly means, but if the USL is paying $50k per player, NASL has some big problems.

USL is not paying 50K per player, they're player budjets/salaries are considerably less than NASL. Its to be expected though as USL is 3rd Division.

When the MLB used replacement players, Toronto used minor league players.  It was Ontario labour laws preventing it, I believe Montreal Expos still used replacement players?  Not sure.

Off topic but was that a lock-out of a strike?  Big, big difference when it comes to the legalities.  Of course striking workers can be replaced by the employer in every province in Canada where as locked out employees can not (think Alberta allows for the practice if certain criteria is met).

Quite a variety down in the USA as well where some states echo the laws up here while others do not.  California and New York for example don't allow an employer to replace locked out workers.  Don't know enough to say but I'll guess Tennesse and Texas take a different approach.

Archived