Clock ticking for 2018 WCQ seeding

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, that is what the regs say. However, in practice, they have just rubberstamped the plans of the Confederations and I expect they will continue to do so.

Can you document this? The regulations say that FIFA *decides* on the format.

If you'll recall, Canada received a pretty good outcome in the 2014 qualifying draws. Sure, we didn't need to draw Panama -but I'm going to assume this was rigged to make up for the fact that Cuba never should have been in Pot 2. Between the 2014 and 2018 draws, we'll have hosted two tournaments nobody else wanted. If the format remains the same in 2018, I predict we easily dodge T&T or Jamaica or whomever we're peeing our pants about. In turn, we'll probably get Guatemala in the semi-final group.

I just hope we get a different format so the nations that can actually compete in the region get a chance to do so. Canada will be fine either way.

Can you document this? The regulations say that FIFA *decides* on the format.

If you'll recall, Canada received a pretty good outcome in the 2014 qualifying draws. Sure, we didn't need to draw Panama -but I'm going to assume this was rigged to make up for the fact that Cuba never should have been in Pot 2. Between the 2014 and 2018 draws, we'll have hosted two tournaments nobody else wanted. If the format remains the same in 2018, I predict we easily dodge T&T or Jamaica or whomever we're peeing our pants about. In turn, we'll probably get Guatemala in the semi-final group.

I just hope we get a different format so the nations that can actually compete in the region get a chance to do so. Canada will be fine either way.

How did they rig the last draw?  I watched it live maybe they should be on America's Got Talent.

Hosting women's tournaments doesn't mean anything, there is going to be a draw live on TV just as last time around.. no funny business.  The Gold Cup on the other hand...

YNWA Cuba didn't buy anything, they just did well at the CFU Championship and got rewarded by that. If you want to say that the FIFA World Ranking is not a genuine ranking, fine. EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT. Why does UEFA use their own ranking when they do their UEFA Euro qualifying and not the FIFA one? Because they don't think seriously. The CONCACAF FIFA raanking is even more confusing because a) Gold Cup qualifying is based on regional qualifying so it's difficult to compare El Salvador and Cuba with it because of it. B) You have non-FIFA members participating in tournaments. Cuba's a good team in Gold Cup qualifying becaause they have their best team in GC qualifying. They're playing Haiti, Jamaica, Trinidad and others who can't have their top players because it wasn't on FIFA dates. I would think that Cuba would lose to these teams if it were in a FIFA window, also they used the March rankings because they need to start the opening round to choose which minnows would be facing each other and chose to use the same rankings. I believe that rankings used for WCQ were the same for every confederation in their big draw.

Mon ami, "buy" in English also means a "pass" or "direct passage." They were top 6 in FIFA rankings and received a "buy" into the second round. That's all I meant.

Learn how to spell. It's written bye. I'm not reading out loud. I don't think that there is anyway to have a fair draw while using the FIFA rankings, and it's not just in Canada that they're saying it. Remember when Switzerland was considered better than Netherlands and Italy and got seeded? Unless FIFA uses better rankings. I personally like the Elo rankings, which adds or drop points if you win or lose based on expected results. The FIFA ranking fluctuates by what you've done or not done in one particular month for the past 5 years. Just add that you have to play a game every x months and it will be a good show of reality. I think that they should copy the women's rankings, but that's me. I buy those rankings more than the men's rankings because it's not based that you lost points because you won games 1 and 2 years ago. It's based on what you've done the last time you've played.

This is interesting ... At this point I'd like to see some qualifying for the Gold Cup.  All the Central Americans played 3-4 matches at a 2.5 multiplier with recent qualifying (in which 4 of 7 directly qualified).  Same is happening for the CFU.  Meanwhile, Canada will most likely play 1/3 to 1/4 of the matches at even (a one multiplier) of a similar time period.  Games, meaningful games, is what Canada needs.

Looks like we will be part of the second round home and away knock out round in the June 2015 window and if we win be part of the third knock out round in the September 2015 window. Hopefully we don't draw the 7th or 8th placed Concacaf teams in that round.

Looks like we might have some great home and away matches coming up next year!!!!

If Canada has any hope to Qualify for the World Cup we should be able to handle any team ranked 7th and lower. The group stage will be tough but we should be able to get there at least. And hopefully confidence of winning two rounds will carry some momentum.

Exactly. As always, the teams we're going to need to consistently beat are Panama, Honduras, T&T, Guatemala, Jamaica, El Salvador if we want a chance at the play-in game.

We paid for the manager and every other tool to give our MNT the best advantage.  If ultimately the talent/attitudes selected by the manager aren't enough then it's a problem but our team should have every confidence of beating any team in this region, including the USA and Mexico.. if they don't then they aren't going anywhere.  Honduras and Costa Rica each take their shots at the US and Mexico each qualifying and play with no fear.

Archived