CMNT v. Bulgaria friendly - May 23, 2014

sloth8

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we know where Benito lives? Toronto would probably be the most effective place to be considering the team has the highest quantity of Canadian internationals.

Yes, he's based out of Toronto.

Aren't most clubs done for the season at that time?

Yes, European clubs (that our players are attached to at least) will be done so we shouldn't have any problems.  I think that's the main reason we've waited until May, there was no point in wasting $ on a friendly in Feb, March or April that would most likely feature the same B players who were at the January camp. 

Aren't most clubs done for the season at that time?

Still, clubs have their right to say no. Many MLS clubs declined 4 years ago for those reasons. Why would they say yes now? Hutch wasn't there 4 years ago and I don't think that he was injured. Copenhagen didn't want him to take a risk on one of their top 3 players rightly so.

Oh and Keegan, had we played in March, a FIFA date might I add, they could have called any Canadian eligible player if the player said yes. Now you need a club and we've seen many players saying no at the last Gold Cup to find a club.(Hainault Hutchinson, Jackson's final 2 games to name a few)

The fact that some players want to find a job will weigh in also this time.

• 3 weeks later...

Bulgarian roster - 

Goalkeepers: Vladislav Stoyanov (Ludogorets), Ivan Chvorovic (Ludogorets), Georgi Kitanov (Cherno More)

Defenders: Georgi Terziev (Ludogorets), Nikolay Budurov (Litex), Iliya Milanov (Litex), Pavel Vidanov (Zaglebie Lubin), Yordan Hristov (Botev Plovdiv), Veselin Minev (Botev Plovdiv), Yordan Minev (Ludogorets), Strahil Popov (Litex)

Midfielders: Svetoslav Dyakov (Ludogorets), Hristo Zlatinski (Ludogorets), Simeon Slavchev (Litex), Georgi Milanov (CSKA Moscow), Stanislav Manolev (Kuban), Ivaylo Chochev (CSKA Sofia), Mihail Alexandrov (Ludogorets)

Forwards: Emil Gargorov (CSKA Sofia), Todor Nedelev (Mainz 05), Andrey Galabinov (Avellino), Dimitar Rangelov (Luzern), Ivelin Popov (Kuban)

I know I was on this before, but I'm gonna say it again.  Seeing Bulgaria's lineup...this is not a team to scoff at.  Think about Mexico playing their Club America team against New Zealand...the guys at Ludogrets have no shortage of chemistry, and they will be bringing that to this match.  As Canadian fans, we are prone to thinking that Bulgaria is a team we should be beating, but on the flip side, all the Bulgarian fans are thinking we are a team THEY should be beating.  In World Cup Qualifying they had a BUNCH of draws, and at least one of the games I was watching, they had the run of play.  They weren't super far off from World Cup Qualification, in any event, and playing Denmark and Czech (strong teams in their group) to draws pretty much helped prevent THOSE teams from qualifying.

I'm not being defeatist, just saying that this is a game I'm expecting a very quality opponent, who has their team chemistry more together than we do at the moment.

The boys at Ludogorets had an amazing season, finishing first in their group in Europa, contending against teams like Chornomorets, PSV, and Dinamo Zagreb, then beating Lazio (who have guys like Hernanes, Lucic, and Miroslav Klose in their lineup) before falling to Valencia. 

Their players have been playing at a MUCH higher level than our guys who are going to be playing against them, with maybe the exception of Hutchinson, and to a lesser extent JDG. 

Be prepared for a tough match!

I know it is a closed door game, but I was going to go down to the game and try my luck.  However, the village where the game is being played lacks decent public transportation after the game.  Oh well...

2 injuries from the Bulgarian side.

Defender Pavel Vidanov from Polish side Zaglebie.

Forward Dimitar Rangelov from Swiss side Luzern

1 injury replacement:

Defender Aleksandar Aleksandrov from Ludogorets

I've read something the summary of a presser they did yesterday. The only thing they said about Canada is that the players don't know the team, which is not surprsing considering when the team is nearly 75% local. So, they're focusing on their team more than on Canada. They left on Wednesday morning to go to Vienna  by plane and will take a train from there to where the game will be played.

Does anyone know if anyone is going to be there doing a live twitter feed or anything?  What'll be the best way to follow the action?

The CSA's twitter feed is your best best. If you speak Bulgarian (which uses the Cyrllic alphabet) or Romanian for the Moldova game, you may find places that will help. They have their official facebook page there: https://www.facebook.com/BulgarianNationalTeam

I predict the V's will crash the Bulgarian News7 server within 5 minutes of kick-off.

Game is tomorrow morning...that crept up pretty quickly!

My starting XI based on the best team, not a prediction of what Floro will do (cuz let's face we'll end up with a couple of WTF's?)

---------------------Borjan---------------------

Ledger-----Edgar------Straith-----Hainault

--------------Hutchinson---deGuzman------

Fisk----------------------------------------REB

--------------Ricketts---Jackson-------------

Archived